Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
Wallycostanza OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Week in Ecuador

Howdy folks,
Flew down to Ecuador for a week long ride on a KLR650 from Freedom Bike Rental. Like just about everyone else has posted on here, nothing but nice things to say about them. The bike was in great shape, they assisted me in programming interesting routes between the hostels I had booked, and provided me with tools and a first aid kit.

First a bit of disclaimer...I had a 650GS when I signed up for this forum...I've sold it and have a Harley Road King now. So, take everything I say with a grain of salt, as clearly I am a person of limited insight...hell, I may not have even gone to Ecuador, just might be confused again. Anyway...

From Quito, headed south on the Pan-American to somewhere north of Latacunda...turned right towards Sigchos. Great road through the mountains. Started off paved with lots of curves and switchbacks, changed to cobble stone and then to dirt/rock for about 25-30 miles towards Chugchilan. Stayed at Mama Hilda's Hostel for the night.

After a great dinner, good nights sleep, and breakfast the next morning. Headed back towards Latacunda. It was Saturday, and the town was very busy. I suppose a big market was going on or something. After getting through the traffic, took the Pan American down through Riobamba and on towards Tambo. Checked in at the Posada Ingaprica, right near the Ingaprica Incan ruins. Unfortunately no pictures of the ride along the Pan-American this day....but I assure you, it is not to be missed. All paved, with crazy elevation changes and switchbacks. One of those places where you think you have a sense of where things area..."OK, i'm on the side of this mountain, there is the mountain I'll be riding up in a little while, and there is the valley floor". Then you go around a curve and see, "oh crap, the valley floor is like 3000 feet further down!

I'll post some more later today. Ride back across mountains, and to the coast. Suppose I should get back to work for now.
Wallycostanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Wallycostanza OP
n00b

Continued from Ingaprica across the mountains and into the low lands. Passed through some very dense clouds/fog on the way down in elevation. About an hour or riding windy roads with very limited visability. Mostly 20-25 MPG. Luckily, only once did I come around a corner into a short straight away and see two headlights turn into 4 headlights.
Once out of the hills, passed through several little towns surrounded by banana farms. Went throught he port city of Guayaquil, lots of traffic. But it all worked fairly well. On to the coastal city of Puerto Cayo. Found a restaurant with a room and a parking lot and checked in for the night. Great dinner of pan fried fish and some sort of coconut/rice/shrimp dish.
Few more pics below.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Loving it....more, please.

I am taking notes...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Wallycostanza OP
n00b

From Puerto Cayo a fairly short ride to Canoa. Great ride along the coast. Spent two days in Canoa. Met lots of folks there, Americans, Chileans, Australians, British...all had one thing in common - they came to Canoa and couldn't bring themselves to leave. What a great little town. I've never been in a place where people were so content to just hang out.
A few pics of Canoa.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Oddometer: 1,211
What were the dates that you were there? Thanks for posting.
WR's in NH and Maine: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733821
whizzerwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
lennyledoux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Bienvenidos a Ecuador!

I know well what you mean about the 35 from Quito to Canar and Ingapirca. Of course I continued on to Cuenca where I live but most of the trip was at night so I can't such much about the scenery. But I concur with your observation regarding quality of the highway. It is certainly no Interstate but it is every bit as good as US Highway standards for two lane major road. I chuckle at your comment regarding traffic in Guayaquil, it is pretty crazy to say the least. Hopefully you will be able to take in Salinas as well as Loja on your trip. Or the next one:)
lennyledoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Question Canoa?

Where did you stay at and how long did you stay?
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Wallycostanza OP
n00b

Sorry, got back into work mode...forgot I was posting pics. I'll add the rest tomorrow.
I was in Ecuador the week before thanksgiving, til the day after.
In canoa, I stayed at hostel Baloo. Great place, towards end of town, so quiet. But 3 minute walk to bars and restaurants. Just for two nights
Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 786
glad you had a great trip down here! I kind laughed about your canoa comment as i am just too big of a woosie to live there(lived there for 8 months)! 2 hours to get to a real supermarket was to much for me
cant wait to see the rest!
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
agent of orange
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
amazing pictures!! The idea of flying in and renting a ride looks very interesting. Would one say it be a good idea to do something like this as a first motorcycle adventure in foreign country? well something other than north america or europe.
agent of orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Baloo

Thats where I stayed. I also rode solo for 2 weeks in Ecuador this past Feb.. I cant wait to go back but this time with my own bike

atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Thumb

Great pics and report so far. Looking forward to the rest - your ride to Otavalo...

Thanks for the nice words about us, too!

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
CourtRand is offline   Reply With Quote