Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I personally wouldn't be prepared to go for the extra size/weight over my titanium spork when backpacking or a plastic spoon, coupled with my leatherman that I'm already carrying when on the bike.
I'm okay with the weight for motorcycling and backpacking in areas where I can easily get water. As soon as I have to carry lots of water on my back for survival, I drop pretty much every gram I can ... motorcycle - I still prefer the set as it doesn't matter that much that I have 200g vs. 20g spork. The added convenience and style is huge for me.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
to be fair all I reall ordered was the silverware.. didnt need the pouch and I use a stick as a skewer all the time
Don't need a ~80$ skewer + canvas pouch myself...even if it's "proudly made in USA".

No thanks.

It's not because you can do it that you should do it. Labor, neat idea and pride as you want, these items are ridiculously expensives for what they are.

What if I start to handmade some "proudly made in Canada" garbage bag ties out of a metal wire roll and autograph them using a tiny pen and a microscope and sell them 25$ each?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Don't need a ~80$ skewer + canvas pouch myself...even if it's "proudly made in USA".

No thanks.

It's not because you can do it that you should do it. Labor, neat idea and pride as you want, these items are ridiculously expensives for what they are.

What if I start to handmade some "proudly made in Canada" garbage bag ties out of a metal wire roll and autograph them using a tiny pen and a microscope and sell them 25$ each?

Yeah.

I picked up a set of Brunton Titanium flatware for US$4.99 in a sale bin not too long ago. 1.7oz.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Grill?

You don't need a grill for steak, just skewer it with a sharpened stick and hang it over the fire. This saves you from the worst part of camp cooking, cleaning the grill!! and saves weight. If you read old camping manuals there are many ways to cook with out pots, pans,or grills. Of course, some people love to buy stuff and enjoy having lots of gear. Thats ok too.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #20
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/W View Post
You don't need a grill for steak, just skewer it with a sharpened stick and hang it over the fire. This saves you from the worst part of camp cooking, cleaning the grill!! and saves weight. If you read old camping manuals there are many ways to cook with out pots, pans,or grills. Of course, some people love to buy stuff and enjoy having lots of gear. Thats ok too.
Yes, I remember as a kid, my family building stoves out of stones on the beach, making a "hot plate" for the top by finding a flat stone, or better still, splitting a stone in half (the middle of a rock that hasn't seen the air for millions of years is pretty hygenic, even before the heat!) Once you're done with it, you can kick the stove over and the fire/ash is covered up (looks nicer and less likely for anyone to come along and burn themselves on it). You can cook sausages, bacon, steak, etc. on top really easily. Tried frying eggs once and it sort of worked, but it's messy. I think it's great to be able to do all that stuff and fun to learn.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Personally I use this grill http://campfiregrill.com/rebelgrill.htm when camping off of the R1200.. it would be too big for my planned lightweight camping on the Husaberg.... I need all the room for my fly fishing gear
Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,158
$6.95

http://www.keepshooting.com/german-f...ensil-set.html
The word "good" has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man. ~G.K. Chesterton
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #23
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post

Awesome, I figured as much but still don't mind the extra $12 going to support these guys for their welded on W/A penny. Hopefully a bunch of folks can spare the $12 and order the W/A set and we'll see a 5 star ride report on ADV of these guys riding to South America instead of our money going.... to some corporation.

The world is circular.

I get that it's hard for most to find the value in the grill, it is very pricey for such a simple item, I understand. I knew that long before I posted about it, I figured the usual suspects would point out the obvious of course. Good thing I'm not looking for approval with how I spend my hard earned money.
Personally, I like these guys whole vibe and don't mind supporting their dreams. After all, myself and many other spend almost $300 for bike luggage racks that are nothing more than a few bent and welded pieces of steel, or buy touratech whatever guards for big bucks. To each their own IMO when it comes to gear to buy for our Adventure habits, I will enjoy many delicious meals cooked on this grill, ate with these utensils, and feel good about supporting some cool cats while I spend more time in the saddle actually using these overpriced things rather than talking about it.

I just hope there's just a few fools like me out there that see what I see in the W/A gear and decide to support them, that's why I posted knowing that most will not and that's just fine too.

-Finn

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 08:33 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #24
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Awesome, I figured as much but still don't mind the extra $12 going to support these guys for their welded on A/W penny.
I'm not looking for the penny here ...

And I'm all for supporting local guys, cool guys, nice guys ... there's just sometimes, though not always, a limit to what I consider reasonable in that regard.

Let's say, I'd likely buy the grill for $49, but probably not for more.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #25
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,163
I'm have no doubt that if they cut the price in half for the grill they could sell many more, I wish it was so, really, so more people on here would jump on because it really is incredibly nice and perfect, made by riders for riders kind of thing...

I get your posts, it's all good.

If it helps anyone, I did get a couple of the W/A patches with the grill, making it a real bargain. lol

Then again, I'm also partial to their "get LOST more often"...

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 08:06 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #26
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
I like buying American when I can... and I'm often willing to pay a little more for it... But those prices are high... no actually 'ridiculous' is a better word. At the prices they're selling them for, I feel more like they're trying to ripoff fellow riders rather than offer them good gear.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #27
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,153
I too have dreams...can you support me? Skip the (poorly) welded penny thingy and send me money directly in my Paypal account.

Thanks!

SgtDuster screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 08:09 AM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #28
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 631
Fuk!!!

I just typed 3 paragraphs of super profound shit and the stupid (made in china) iPad seized up and lost it.

Damnit.

Just pretend this post if the most insiteful you've ever read
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #29
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I like buying American when I can... and I'm often willing to pay a little more for it... But those prices are high... no actually 'ridiculous' is a better word. At the prices they're selling them for, I feel more like they're trying to ripoff fellow riders rather than offer them good gear.
Okay, I've been trying to put a finger on what I've been feeling about this and this post pretty much sums it up.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #30
tlwood99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Awesome, I figured as much but still don't mind the extra $12 going to support these guys for their welded on W/A penny. Hopefully a bunch of folks can spare the $12 and order the W/A set and we'll see a 5 star ride report on ADV of these guys riding to South America instead of our money going.... to some corporation.

The world is circular.

I get that it's hard for most to find the value in the grill, it is very pricey for such a simple item, I understand. I knew that long before I posted about it, I figured the usual suspects would point out the obvious of course. Good thing I'm not looking for approval with how I spend my hard earned money.
Personally, I like these guys whole vibe and don't mind supporting their dreams. After all, myself and many other spend almost $300 for bike luggage racks that are nothing more than a few bent and welded pieces of steel, or buy touratech whatever guards for big bucks. To each their own IMO when it comes to gear to buy for our Adventure habits, I will enjoy many delicious meals cooked on this grill, ate with these utensils, and feel good about supporting some cool cats while I spend more time in the saddle actually using these overpriced things rather than talking about it.

I just hope there's just a few fools like me out there that see what I see in the W/A gear and decide to support them, that's why I posted knowing that most will not and that's just fine too.

-Finn

Finn, I have enjoyed reading many of your posts in the past. We share the same passion for riding and the same taste in bikes. I love your photography, and learned alot from you about how to work up a Husaberg. But your Avatar has taken on a new meaning by your continued support for these guys. In short, on this one,

I agree with Xeraux, Sgt Duster, Cug and so many others. But I think the comments have been far too gentle. There is in my view a cynical mocking to their website and pricing and your support of these losers that I find down right insulting.

What was implied to be hand-made utensils made in America turn out to be stamped military surplus offered for about 3 times the going rate.
You want to pay $140 for that grill? Have at it.

And how about 20 marketing items in support of there business that sells three products?

Talk about form over substance. Or marketing over craft. Personally I would rather support that guy offering to make handmade, autographed 'proudly made in Canada' garbage ties. I know I would get more pleasure out of using them than being reminded that a couple of clowns with a welder made an out of me.

For the rest of you who want to save, oh say $100 or so and still have a hand-made-in-America stainless grill that will last a lifetime and is great for camping, then this is what you want:

http://www.purcelltrench.com/.

They start at $27 and every kind of outdoorsman that has used them raves about them. You will know you are getting the real thing, however you will have to live without the hinge and the nifty canvas bag. And if you don't know what to do with the $100 you saved, Finn knows a couple of dudes who are looking for some help funding their South American motorcycle vacation.

Thank you. I feel better now.
tlwood99 is offline   Reply With Quote