User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #31
livo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
This is a bloody good thread

I'm planning to take a trip to Tassie on my Strom and this is definitely providing sufficient inspiration. Keep it up
Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #32
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 1,994
nice one

i'll have to get down there and do that track

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #33
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Saw Back Ridge Track Part 2 .... ... .. .

I considered turning around and heading home, but since the bike seemed 100% ready to go with no ill effects from the drowning, the only option was to battle on!

I was at the water hole for around 2 hours all up, and I had drained it down a fair bit... The level was up at the stick to start with:

(take note of the bank at the left, it looks flatter on video due to the wide angle lens)

I was all set to head back into the water when I realized the left bank had dried out a fair bit, it seemed ridable now.. (it was a warm day and the sun had been on it for a couple of hours).... There was a couple tree branches blocking the narrow bank at the end, this is a conservation area, part of The Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area, and I do my best to stick to the "Leave No Trace" guidelines, so I was reluctant to break the branches off.... I ended up braking a couple of dead branches off, and I tied a couple of the living branches back out of the way with reeds so I had a fairly clear route...

Part D, 10 min video, around the water hole and onward to a couple more knee deep holes:

Part E, 2 min video, and another drop:

At least it was a nice day:

This little mud hill turned into the hardest part of the day, if I had just stayed in the left trench and followed it up I would have been ok, but I tried to ride up the middle and dropped it.... Then dropped it again trying to get back over to the left... Then I gave up and just headed up the right hand side which was impossible:

It's not much of a slope, but it gave me a lot of grief:

Part F, 10 min video, drop at the start, the rest is just me thinking and struggling to move forward:
(probably not worth watching unless you enjoy watching someone suffer)

I spent close to an hour here, I tried things like packing dead bracken fern in the trench to get traction but it didn't help... The main problem was, people had packed the trench with tree branches which were embedded in the mud paralell to the trench, the knobbies couldn't bite in and get traction:

I eventually gave up on the right hand side, pushed the bike back down through the mud, then ran up the left side, wish I had done that to start with!

Part G, 1 min video, Success made it

So annoying... but educational

I continued on, the track was still fairly bad but it seemed easy after the earlier dramas... I forgot to turn the camera back on, so there's a couple of mins of missing footage....

Along here there was a couple of decent water holes, I managed to skirt around the edge of one, I turned the engine off and grabbed the trees to pull myself around:

The next one had a bit of a drop off to get into it, knee deep, it was a bit scary, but no drama:

Part H, 11 min video, the couple of water holes are in the middle, then the clay ends and the track opens up a bit and turns to white gravel:

To be continued... ... .. .
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #34
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Saw Back Ridge track Part 3 ... .. .

The track turned into what I like, rough, with enough obstacles to be entertaining, but very little risk of getting stuck...

The next section was mainly white gravel/dirt/rock, heading down hill, with one crazy steep rough section:

With the standard gearing I couldn't go slow enough for this... So I killed the engine and paddled my way down, feet out, using the clutch to brake the back wheel:

Not sure I'd even try riding a big bike up it, lots of loose rock and gravel....

Lots of small water holes, only 1 biggish one, it wasn't very deep:

A few little creeks:

Part I, 16 min video, the steep hill is about 2 mins into it, a decent water hole about 8 mins in,

What a beast!

The last part of the Saw Back Track is just a nice undulating rough track, thoroughly enjoyable ride, nothing hard... Nice scenery with the Saw Back range on the right, little creeks in all the valleys, no issue, if it was raining hard these might be a bit more of a challange:

Part J, 12 min video, to the northern end of the Sawback track

So, that's the Saw Back Range Track, a good challenge, educational for a noob like me, "character building" as some say

That's it for now, I'll add 1 more video and write a bit of a conclusion later... If you've made it this far, you're doing well, Thanks for reading
Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #35
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
That's great!
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #36
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Just found this! Looks like you have the right bike and the right places to ride! Thanks for posting I'll be looking out for more of your ride reports
Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #37
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Saw Back Ridge track Part 4 ... .. .

Thanks for the comments

I forgot about the last part of this ride report, guess I better finish it before adding the next one:

Part K, 8 min video, from the end of the SawBack track through Adamsfield to Clark hut:

After this ride I removed the wheels and suspension linkages to check for water and repack them with grease, and I gave it an oil change... Surprisingly no water got in anywhere ...

This track turned into a bit of a nightmare ride, it was more effort than I enjoy, but I have no regrets, I learned a lot ...

Would I do it again?, yes, but at a drier time of the year (the clay was just evil)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #38
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

A few more mods, making a heavy bike heavier

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Off-The-Road in Germany, rear-racks, crashbars, center-stand, tall screen, 14-tooth front sprockets, spare clutch cable/cush rubbers/chain slider/oil-filters/screen-screws...

I wrote a bit about the gear over here: (prices, weights, opinions)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4010

Also added a cig-lighter outlet and switch in the side of the dash, wired straight to the battery:

Removed, cleaned, and covered all the engine mount bolts with copper-anti-seize:
(They don't make them like they use to)

Also installed new rear brake pads, the original Brembo ones only lasted 5000km...

:)
Old 12-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #39
The Friar
Bugger, lost again

Oddometer: 20
Throughly enjoying the RR, keep them coming. They are a great future reference for doing Tassie myself one day.
Then again we could move down south a bit further.........Hmmmm
The RAN needs to look into using Tenere's, they make great submarines by the look of things.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #40
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Nice road report Flickit. I had the same problem with my big bike tiping over, so I bought a 300 lbs unit to get around on so I'm busy picking my heavy weight off the ground. I thought I had better tell you about steal and aluminiun with copper slip. This is not a good idea. The copper coat adds more oxidisation into the metal. Nickle coat is the better of this plan when choosing a anty seize. The heavy duty people at Finne/ Catapiler use nickle coat any time they work with steal and aluminiun. I'm sure there is info on the web regarding this. Keep up the good work, and watch out for those bottom-less holes.

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #41
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Friar View Post
Throughly enjoying the RR, keep them coming. They are a great future reference for doing Tassie myself one day.
Then again we could move down south a bit further.........Hmmmm
The RAN needs to look into using Tenere's, they make great submarines by the look of things.

Tassie is a great place to live and ride... There's around 14,000km of forestry roads down here, plus most the roads in between are good riding... I'm lucky I only have to go 20km to get into the forests, then I can ride dirt/gravel roads all day, do hundreds of K's, and rarely see another vehicle... It's glorious! ...

lol, I hope to never drown a bike again...but... in a way I'm glad it happened, it's removed the fear I had of drowning a bike it's no big deal really ... My main fear now is getting the Tenere bogged in thick mud, I wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting it out on my own... Hopefully it never happens
Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #42
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
Nice road report Flickit. I had the same problem with my big bike tiping over, so I bought a 300 lbs unit to get around on so I'm busy picking my heavy weight off the ground. I thought I had better tell you about steal and aluminiun with copper slip. This is not a good idea. The copper coat adds more oxidisation into the metal. Nickle coat is the better of this plan when choosing a anty seize. The heavy duty people at Finne/ Catapiler use nickle coat any time they work with steal and aluminiun. I'm sure there is info on the web regarding this. Keep up the good work, and watch out for those bottom-less holes.

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada
Yeh, the Tenere is too big and heavy for poking around the rough stuff, which is what I enjoy the most... I dropped it again last week, lol.... Lucky it's a tough beast

I went for the big bike because I have plans of riding around Australia, it seems capable of carrying a decent load, has a good fuel range, and it's reasonable comfortable... Once I get that trip knocked off the bucket list I'll step back to a lighter bike for poking around Tassie... Getting the hang of handling such a tall-heavy beast makes the smaller lighter bikes a lot easier to ride I think...

Thanks for the tip about the copper anti-seize... I never considered it might cause a galvanic corrosion issue... I've always used nickel anti-seize, but ran out, and grabbed the copper because that was all the shop had at the time... There's about a pound of it slapped here there and everywhere around the bike now ... Oh well, I'll keep the rest of the copper for the tractor and get some more nickel for the bike

:)

FLICKIT screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 07:31 PM
Old 12-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #43
Zascandil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Nice. Beautifull photos. Thanks for your time, for your many pics.
Zascandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #44
Mtrain
free range

Oddometer: 437
Great thread FLIKIT, Thanks for sharing.
I love tassie and missed my yearly fix last year but will get it this year. It is so different to the northerly lump.
I also appreciate your attitude to minimal impact, it is so easy to get the red mist when riding and just go regardless of the consequences.
Keep posting your rides.
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #45
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
Awesome ride reports Flickit !!! What a lot of great places to ride, looks like bike heaven to me.
While there is no way in hell I'd try to ride those roads alone, it's great to see you posted this, cause it means you made it back home safe
Please keep them coming!

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote