ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #9226
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
Rather than ask a bunch of people to stud up--and for whatever reason folks seem to be unwilling to spend a few bucks and try installing a set of the Kold Kutters into a set of worn-out tires--why not find an open grassy field on a day after a light snow, put down six old tires as corner markers and have at it? I've had a ball on days when a heavy dusting of snow made things just slippery enough to be a hoot. Won't have to drive very far, either.
Let's all stud up and head over to oPaulo's place to practice. He really enjoyed me helping him to find his septic system a couple years ago when I first studded up the HonDeere tires.

TooSlow4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #9227
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,501
Get your truck fixed woodsrat?

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
The Nightmares of Others
In memory of IMPD Officer Perry W Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #9228
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Oddometer: 901
"Can't ween 'em!

Back in about '72 I ran outa gas in Arvada Colo.
First car that rolls by rolled down the passenger window and hollars "Can't ween 'em! Stay put!
About 6 minutes later he's back w/a couple gallons of gas. He wouldn't take a dime. He, still chuckling, says "Just pass the favor on."

Damn humans. [gotta love 'em!]
JP
gplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #9229
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Cool2

Quote:
That's the rural central/western U. S. for you. If there's hope for our country it lies with these good people.

My fantasy trip is a slow one on the backroads of what most people consider the boring "flyover country" on something like a Trail 90 and meet the people who are the real backbone of this country, taking a whole summer to do it and staying away from big cities and tourist attractions as if they were the plague. It's on the list...
Rode to a R A Rally in Red River N.M. in '01 on a '75 /6. 166 after Joplin. Straight shot across the bottom edge of K.A. and down into the north edge of O.K. and across the National Grasslands to Boise City.
Big slabs and high-pressure hoses to wash out cattle trailers...3-year old pickups w/horse trailers at the end of endless lanes.
Fairly low speed/long days. Lotsa tired... no bordom.
Just an aside...On the way back from N.M. I swung up through Trinidad Colo. and east through La Junta on 50..about an hour east, I started seeing smoke way to the east and about dark+1 I had caught up with a pretty decent prairie fire.
The look on the officer blocking the west bound lane's face was priceless when I blew through the smoke rolling east.
[I got a real good look!]
W.R., I appreciate the opportunity to contribute to your delinquency.
...un-written reciprocity.

gplane screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 02:37 PM Reason: spelling
Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #9230
Small's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Wicked Trip talking

All this trip talking makes me want to go to Moab, Utah about the first week of April.
Small's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #9231
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

In september im heading to colorado springs and up to montana for a 2 week adventure.

The Nightmares of Others
In memory of IMPD Officer Perry W Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #9232
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Road Trips

I like the part where I find myself asking "Why in the hell do I do this?"

I like the point at which a picnic table feels like a 4 star hotel.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #9233
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplane View Post
I like the part where I find myself asking "Why in the hell do I do this?"

I like the point at which a picnic table feels like a 4 star hotel.
Good friend and I had a conversation similar to this but about working on vehicles. We always hate it and swear when shits not.going right or were having issues but end up doing it again the next day or close enough. We figured it comes down to dna. Its just something in us that makes us do it and we pheen for more. Like a long motorcycle trip. You finish a 1200 mile 2-3 day trip and say damn that sucked. Then a month later cant wait for another ride.

The Nightmares of Others
Old 12-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #9234
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
I know I haven't posted for a while or even rode for awhile for that matter...but for some reason I had trouble quoting TooSlow4U. So I cut and pasted the following:

Okay, so what was the general consensus on a meeting place for a New Years Day ride? I don't who's leading, following or riding beside me. I just wanna ride!

~ So is there a New Years day ride being planned? My first ride with ADV'rs was a cold ride in December...just not sure what year???

Anyway, is there a ride being planned? Min. Temp.?
gtackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #9235
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,568
well... so much for that. you won't see tackett round here for a few more years.

nice job tim...

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #9236
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Alot of us dont know the roads.

The Nightmares of Others
Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #9237
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,746
I lead group rides almost everytime I ride.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #9238
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,090
Folks seems to be a bit "gun shy" on the routes I take them down for some silly reason now.... It's best if I just d/l a route to the ol electronical map thingamajig and ride alone to the destination. :)

This message sent to you telepathically...

TooSlow4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #9239
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,629
I just layed out a route on Mapsource just using the route tool and following backroads,took me about 30 minutes (thats including taking a pee),to come up with about a 185 mile loop in the southeast part of the state. It would have to be ridden and tweeked a little but it's not that hard to make up a ride.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #9240
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Quote:
When I was first asked to be involved with Stoney's "Story Ride" neither did I. I'd been to southern Indiana near the Hoosier a few times looking at property and that was about it. Armed with an Indiana County Road atlas, a HNF map and eventually about fifty pounds of topographic maps I searched out potential routes on paper at home or at work (I carried them everywhere with me) and then on my trusty XR-250R went exploring to see what was open/passable. This was over twenty years ago and long before we had the GPS technology we have today that makes it so much easier. Back then I often had no idea where I was. I'd look at the map, use my compass to determine which way was up and take off down what I hoped was the right road. Sometimes they were, sometimes they weren't. (Southern Indiana's road marking system leaves a lot to be desired.) Sometimes they even dimmed out into awesome two-tracks, sadly nearly all of which are now closed.

Now there are endless maps on-line (both road and topographic) which eliminates the $4.00 a map I gave for the topos back then. (I had a bloody fortune in them.) Add in specialty maps like the HNF offers as well as the maps put out of the legal roads for the various counties and it's not terribly difficult to map out a potential route.

It ain't rocket science. Jump off the cliff, volunteer to do a ride, pick up a map and start thinking. As most of you freely say I ain't exactly the sharpest pencil in the box but if I can do it anybody can.

The only difference between the knowledge I gained and ignorance is the initiative to learn and explore.
Im lazy too.

The Nightmares of Others