User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Cisco/linksys is the best. For that size office get one with external antennas or at least a wifi extender if you dont want to do the 2 routers with same ssid route.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,174
Thanks for the ideas, I'll check them out. I had a NetGear N600 Dual Channel that was given to me NIB. I tried to use it to replace my older Linksys at home, thinking it would be faster. But every time I try to hook it up it knocks my cable modem off line, or something like that. So I'm back to using the Linksys and I'll.just pick up one of these for the office.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #18
BerndM
Shiftless One

Oddometer: 1,561
Unless you absolutely NEED to use wireless because of physical constraints, you should go with CAT-5 net cable. Once installed you'll never need to think about it again.
BerndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
Unless you absolutely NEED to use wireless because of physical constraints, you should go with CAT-5 net cable. Once installed you'll never need to think about it again.

Sent from your Rotary Phone using an etch-a-sketch on dialup?

Seems like a cable takes the "mobile" out of "portable".

Some things in my home are wired (blu ray disc player, desktop computer, etc). Some things aren't (laptop, smartphone, etc.)...
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #20
~DC~
An Internet Legend

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post

Some things in my home are wired (blu ray disc player, desktop computer, etc). Some things aren't (laptop, smartphone, etc.)...

There are fewer security concerns with a wired network. OP may not have any reason to worry about it though.
~DC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #21
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
All of my office computers are connected to a DSL line via a switch and Ethernet cable. I'm changing my voice phones over to a different provider to save $ and as a part of that package ill have a 2nd "economy" Internet, I'm keeping the hard wired system and DSL for business. I just thought it would be nice to have a wireless router on the new line (cable) so if I wanted to use my iPad over the lunch hour I could. I also have an app on my Droid that I use dozens of times per day, was thinking if I accessed it thru a wifi it might be quicker than 3G/4G.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #22
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
All of my office computers are connected to a DSL line via a switch and Ethernet cable. I'm changing my voice phones over to a different provider to save $ and as a part of that package ill have a 2nd "economy" Internet, I'm keeping the hard wired system and DSL for business. I just thought it would be nice to have a wireless router on the new line (cable) so if I wanted to use my iPad over the lunch hour I could. I also have an app on my Droid that I use dozens of times per day, was thinking if I accessed it thru a wifi it might be quicker than 3G/4G.
I installed this app on my android. You might find it handy to discover if your wireless would actually be faster than 3G/4G or not.. Before I bumped my DSL speed to 5Mbps, the 4G would easily outpace it.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #23
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:

I have the iMac desktop, Apple TV, BluRay player, XBox, and printer in my home hard wired and like PMR suggested, I just use wireless for the iPad/iPhone/laptop.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
I installed this app on my android. You might find it handy to discover if your wireless would actually be faster than 3G/4G or not.. Before I bumped my DSL speed to 5Mbps, the 4G would easily outpace it.
My 4g connection is ~35 mb/s. So it is definitely better than dsl. Then again, I have 100mb/s service at home.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #25
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,574
Bump.

Same situation, need a router for a small business, in a small office but with lots of walls so a powerful one would be best. And it's been almost 5 months which in the tech world means new products are probably out.

Also I saw airport as suggestions....I had a nightmare with one, it would need rebooted daily which is not acceptable for this place.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #26
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,352
I like hanging an access point(s) off of a router with the radio turned off.

The typical wireless router is pretty weak with regards to output, but you can simply use it as a router, and hang as many AP's as you want off that router (radio turned off) and broadcast whichever SSID"s you want. Provide Guest capability if desired, or separate 2.4 and 5ghz SSID's if you want.

I've been running an Amped Wireless at home, much more power thank the typical little Linksys wifi router. And dual band. Lighting up 5ghz can make a big difference, if you are around other businesses or have other 2.4ghz running in your space.

My home security network and cameras are all 2.4, and I saw a marked improvement in going dual band.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #27
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,337
The E3000 refurbs sold out recently. Too bad.

I just set up one of these TP-LINK devices as a dedicated access point. I was happy with the feature set and performance. Unless I see a bad sample in the next month or two, it is now my goto recommendation.

I always preferred the router-as-ap setup because they are cheaper, more flexible, and they easily double as a gigabit switch.

As always, YMMV.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #28
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
The E3000 refurbs sold out recently. Too bad.

I just set up one of these TP-LINK devices as a dedicated access point. I was happy with the feature set and performance. Unless I see a bad sample in the next month or two, it is now my goto recommendation.

I always preferred the router-as-ap setup because they are cheaper, more flexible, and they easily double as a gigabit switch.

As always, YMMV.
How is the range? This will only need to go for 20 feet but there will be 4-6 walls between it and the furthest terminal.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #29
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,337
Installed in the center of the house in the basement. Netflix worked outside the house up to about 15 yards. Fairly certain it would be usable through 4 sheetrock walls. Not sure beyond that.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #30
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

I decided to just say screw it and go on site with an old extended range G router. N has even more range so if it works then a good N will be fine . I just keep looking around and without any data points it's hard to guess this all while basically blind to the wall thickness etc.

Thanks for your help guys.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: