ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #481
Bikaholic51
Electric Kaiser

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feo y Gordo View Post
Mark

Expatriate Texan, now living in Washington, IL.

(Yes, I am an East Texas hillbilly, and you're allowed to laugh at/make fun of my drawl. )

Ride some dirt, some asphalt.

Slow at all of it.

Like you have a choice of us making fun of your hillbilly Texas Drawl. Yeeeeeee Haaaaaaa!!!!!
Welcome. I don't blame you for leaving Texas. too many Texans down there. I keep telling my Brother to move too.

88 R100RT-82 R100S-72 R75/5-70 R75/5 hack
Bikaholic51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #482
Petrusrock
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Present

Hey guys - looking for mp info for Northern IL southern WI.

BMW GSA - part of BWM Club of Northern IL check out our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/NIBMWR

anyone have some good off road mapping program suggestions?

We ride almost every weekend - have seen some posts here of people looking for rides - we ride almost every Saturday or Sunday mostly starting somewhere along IL Rt47 from Elburn to Huntley. Right now Road Riding - sometimes gravel roads. Looking to get on more off road rides. But if you are looking to ride...

Petrusrock screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 10:33 AM
Petrusrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #483
Petrusrock
n00b

Mapping using Garmin

Doe anyone have experience using Gamin 24K Maps in Illinois to do off road mapping? Using Zumo 550 with standard maps right now but they really don's show gravel or trails in IL
Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #484
RedInTheShed
Jart

Oddometer: 23
Illinois member

Dave Z
RedInTheShed
St. Charles
RedInTheShed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #485
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrusrock View Post
Doe anyone have experience using Gamin 24K Maps in Illinois to do off road mapping? Using Zumo 550 with standard maps right now but they really don's show gravel or trails in IL
Didn't think there were any off road trails in IL. You talking 'bout in the forest or private? As for forest, as far as I know the only thing legal for MC is open to everything. Just some old fire and logging roads. Some fun stuff, but not any off road. There may be some private places but not a lot that I have heard about. I hope someone know of some, I’m interested. BTW I have trouble with tracks and my Zumo, it does stupid stuff when it's not on a road, at least for me, but I ain't that sharp.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #486
Petrusrock
n00b

IL Off Road

There are many private areas with up to 30 miles of track in IL, I have been on a lot of unpaved roads in IL especially out west (west of Chicago that is) and south adn they are usually hard packed fine for dual sport. Wisconsin has all sorts of trails for snowmobiles and ATV's as well as Dual Sport Bikes, I was wondering if there are similar options in IL

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." — Albert Einstein
Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #487
Petrusrock
n00b

Illinois Off road

I am going to try the Garmin Maps - I know a lot of roads unpaved in Northern IL but that is all they are unpaved roads not trails like the TWAT in Wisconsin - I would like to find similar to that here

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." — Albert Einstein
Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #488
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,488
Take a look at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Cannon and several others have done an outstanding job of mapping out routes in in our area -- and way beyond. I've used a few of their tracks and find them outstanding!

kfs
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #489
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am going to try the Garmin Maps - I know a lot of roads unpaved in Northern IL but that is all they are unpaved roads not trails like the TWAT in Wisconsin - I would like to find similar to that here
Yeah, I think the best you'll find in IL. is old 2 track forest roads, bad road but not trail, nothing like WI. MI. CO.. There were some in the Shawnee National Forest years ago but the rangers have pretty much shut them down. The stuff on private is ok to rip around on for a few hours but it won’t connect and go anywhere.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #490
Petrusrock
n00b

Il rides forum

Thank you for pointing me to the forum, awesome rides and some very well documented. Good place to start.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #491
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you for pointing me to the forum, awesome rides and some very well documented. Good place to start.
Some good stuff to ride there, but nothing "off road"
Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #492
Petrusrock
n00b

IL Rides

I plan a lot of rides for the club, and want to add some "off road" trips as well. Have some unpaved roads to go on so it is a mixed trip but would like to get a few good routes for Dual Sport bikes together to make it more fun for those who ride the GS's etc. Appreciate all the pointers and help.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #493
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb Just because it is a roll call......

Top of the day there riders...
Simply because it says roll call and I'm a retired military type, I gotta answer up. Been lurking for a few months, actively pursuing finding a KLR now. Rider for many years but not this stuff. Seems I've been missing out. When I'm home I live near the home of big yellow. When not home, could be anywhere but for the last few years in SWA. It would be a fascinating place to ride but when I'm done here, I hope to not see this country again. If there is anybody that wants to send a note to tell me about where to ride or what to ride with, please do. Like I said, long time rider but new to this stuff.
Stay safe out there..
Ken
Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #494
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Scotty R.
ilbiker
Braidwood just south of Joliet
Went from 20 years of building Harley's and choppers to a Triumph 800 XC to play in the dirt with.
ilbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #495
dougsdrive
Purposely Lost

Oddometer: 39
Lake Shelbyville area

Looking for some rural road / trail to ride here in east central Illinois. Can anyone help?
dougsdrive is offline   Reply With Quote