Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #346
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,728
I wonder if Fedex will allow me to access the GPS tracking on their truck so I can follow it in real time.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #347
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911 View Post
Remember when you clean gortex, place in hot hot dryer to dry, this resets the membrane.

er, it MAY reset some water-repellent agents in the exterior shell, but "resetting" the membrane . . . . . I do not believe this is the case . . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #348
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
After a week of "We're trying to find your jacket order," my Badlands should arrive tomorrow. I actually have a Fedex tracking number, so there's something in that box, and it should be a Klim Badlands Pro.

Christmas is a couple weeks away, but this is a gift to myself for earning zero performance awards this year. Is it ridiculous that I'm impatiently tracking this jacket thru Fedex like CNN tracks Santa Claus on Christmas Eve?
Congrats on your zero performance awards! I have been longing for a new Klim....either Badlands or Latitude (on the fence yet). However, I just shelled out for the lawyer and a week from today have to appear before the judgey in VA to see how much its going to cost. I have a feeling that till this is all said and done, I'd have bought the Klim Badlands jacket AND pants...

Happy for you!!

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #349
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Congrats on your zero performance awards! I have been longing for a new Klim....either Badlands or Latitude (on the fence yet). However, I just shelled out for the lawyer and a week from today have to appear before the judgey in VA to see how much its going to cost. I have a feeling that till this is all said and done, I'd have bought the Klim Badlands jacket AND pants...

Happy for you!!

As soon as I get the jacket in my hands, I plan on writing up a review here. And I'll probably write another review after I've ridden in the jacket for a couple weeks. Maybe my review will help you decide.

I did look at the Latitude, also. I went with the Badlands because (I hope) it has better venting for summer, d3O armor, and the Gore-tex Pro Shell (rather than the Performance shell).

The Badlands just ticked all the boxes on my "want list" for a jacket, except for a liner, and I'll just buy a good fleece.

Ride on! I hope the judge takes it easy on you.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 AM   #350
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
As soon as I get the jacket in my hands, I plan on writing up a review here. And I'll probably write another review after I've ridden in the jacket for a couple weeks. Maybe my review will help you decide.

I did look at the Latitude, also. I went with the Badlands because (I hope) it has better venting for summer, d3O armor, and the Gore-tex Pro Shell (rather than the Performance shell).

The Badlands just ticked all the boxes on my "want list" for a jacket, except for a liner, and I'll just buy a good fleece.

Ride on! I hope the judge takes it easy on you.
Anxious to hear your thoughts on it. The extra venting, better armor, higher performance gore-tex sure does make the Badlands look like the better purchase.

Spent another 15 minutes on revzilla looking at their coverage....great coat.

Thanks! I hope so too - all VA riders should BEWARE the TROOPERS!!!
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #351
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

First impressions

Okay, I received my Klim Badlands Pro jacket yesterday afternoon. And since I was alone in the office, I wore it around the building for about an hour just getting the feel for it. Yes, I’m a dork. Stop laughing.

I also wore it on the ride home, and on the ride in to work this morning. The temp this morning was right around freezing. I have a short commute, but I felt comfortable with just a t-shirt and Polo. But I could definitely tell that I would need a heavier layer or a fleece or a heated liner if I wanted to ride longer in cold temps. This is definitely not a winter jacket, on its own. This weekend, I’ll go on a longer ride to see how warm the jacket is.

Here are my initial thoughts on the Klim Badlands Pro jacket:

— Sizing. I ordered an XL since I’m 6’3” and 210 pounds with a 44" chest. Maybe 215… depends on how much weight I’ve gained over the holidays. Anyway, the Klim sizing chart had me between a Large and XL. I’m really glad I went with the XL, because there’s no way I could have layered underneath with a Large. Even with the XL, layering will be tight (which isn’t necessary a bad thing). Truthfully, I probably could have gone with an XXL if I planned to do lots of cold-weather riding with multiple layers and/or heated gear, but for use a base layer and a heavy mid layer, I think I’ll be fine with an XL.

— The jacket is heavy and very stiff. It won’t get any lighter, obviously, but the weight isn’t really all that bad. Further, I believe that after wearing it for some time on the bike, it will break in and loosen up. Sitting on the bike, it’s very comfortable, and some serious thought was given to rider ergonomics. Right now, the jacket feels like medieval chainmail. Later today, I plan on having some co-workers shoot at me with large-caliber rifles to check the bulletproofing. Well, nothing bigger than a .30-06, obviously.

— It’s not as long as I thought it would be for a 3/4-length jacket, although I’m taller than average, so maybe it’s just me. On my FJR, the jacket doesn’t bunch up at all, which is a good thing, and it’s comfortable.

— The photo-reflective panel across the back of the jacket works extremely well. I turned out all the lights in my apartment and shined an LED at the jacket; the photo-reflective panel reflected an astonishing amount of light straight back. I was seeing a white dot in my vision for two minutes after that little experiment.

— Wearing only a Polo-style shirt under the jacket, you can definitely tell it’s just a shell. There’s no padding inside the jacket. It feels hard and stiff.

— It has a bunch of logos and tags.
4 “Klim” logos
3 “K” logos
1 “Gore-Tex” logo
1 “Gore-Tex Pro Shell” logo
1 “Deflexion” tag
1 “D3O” tag
1 “Cordura”
1 “Scotchlite Reflective Material” tag
1 “Made in China XL” tag
1 “Klim” tag
1 “Gore-Tex” tag

There are probably more logos and tags somewhere, but I’m not going to go searching for them. Sheesh.

— In photos, and even in the Revzilla product video, all the logos and tags didn’t bother me regarding the aesthetics of the jacket. They sort of bother me now that I have the jacket. The logos really do give the jacket a billboard image. If people ask me about Klim, I’m going to tell them it’s my last name and that I’m ridiculously famous. And rich.

— All the zipper pulls have the Klim-yellow thread, and there are A LOT of zippers, so there seem to be a lot of yellow flashes when you’re walking around and looking at yourself in the mirror. All the zippers seem tight, which probably has something to do with the water-resistant covers (gaskets?). And I have already found that you have to really make sure the zippers are zipped all the way up into the zipper garages, which takes an extra few seconds.

— Did I mention that it’s heavy? It probably weighs 10 or 11 pounds, but in all honesty the weight isn’t that bad for a heavy-duty jacket. The more you wear it, the lighter it seems. I walked around my neighborhood last night, trying to see some meteors, and I wore the jacket. After a half-hour or so, I was still comfortable with just a sweatshirt and the jacket in 40-degree temps (Fahrenheit). I have no doubt that with a good base layer and a fleece, I’ll be warm enough down to freezing and maybe below that. I’ll try to check that this weekend.

— There are a lot of pockets. A lot. An absurd number of pockets, really. I stopped counting somewhere around 42 pockets. Calculating the odds, I’m 100% certain that I will lose things in the jacket pockets and NEVER find them again. Who needs this many pockets? A magician? A pocket salesman? If you’re carrying enough stuff to fill all these pockets, you need 1) a bigger bike, and 2) sidecases and maybe a topcase.

— The jacket is obviously well-constructed. The Gore-Tex/840D Cordura/Armacor fabric seems like it will hold up well in a crash. I’m not going to test this if I don’t have to. The stitching looks very good, and it’s double-stitched where the cloth panels come together. There were a couple places, however, where I found loose stitching. Not a big deal. The zippers seem sturdy, but only time will tell with how long-lasting the zippers will be since these are high-use features.

— It is made in China.

— The collar seems comfortable to me. And with the drawstring, I can cinch it tighter around my neck so that it’s comfortable and blocks the cold air. A nice touch. I wish there was a little more padding around the drawstring, which is easily felt through the thin collar fabric — not a big deal, but it’s a detail that Klim missed. The collar doesn’t seem too high for me, but then I’m a tall guy. YMMV. There’s only a small gap between the top of the collar and the bottom of my helmet, which dramatically reduces wind noise around the helmet and the wind chill on exposed skin.

— I just found 17 additional pockets! And 1 secret pocket!!! Really, there are almost too many pockets on this jacket. The rear pocket (“rabbit pouch”) is huge. You could probably keep three or four good-sized rabbits in there, no problem. Or two fat ground hogs. Or a small capybara. Probably you’ll want to keep some rabbits in there. Or maps. Whatever. Your choice.

— The interior pockets are mesh, and don’t really seem very durable if you’ve got keys or anything else that hard/metallic in there.

— The armor feels fairly comfortable, but will take some getting used to. The back protector is light, flexible, and completely unnoticeable even though it’s HUGE. The shoulder armor is comfortable, but I need to move the elbow armor up a little bit, and I haven’t yet figured out how to do that yet. This could be a challenge.

— The two Dow Corning Deflexion chest protectors are nice to have, but I’ll probably take them out when I’m just commuting to work or riding around town. If I’m going to be on the highway/interstate for longer periods of time, I might stick the chest armor back in, since any crash on the highway will probably involve higher speeds and the extra protection would be nice. But around town, the Deflexion pieces just feel a little constrictive, plus they reduce the weight of the jacket a little bit.

— Did I mention all the logos and emblems and tags? The only advertising opportunity missed on the jacket would involve neon and/or blinking LEDs.

— The jacket itself is comfortable, except for a couple areas. The shoulders are very, very stiff on the panels where you see the yellow “K” and the photo-reflective strip with “Klim” written across it. Also, when I bend my elbows, the jacket is extremely stiff right at the elbow joint and even binds a little bit, because three pieces of fabric come together right there and are double-stitched, and this is the bottom of a zip pull also, adding to the stiffness of that joint area. This stiffness might also have something to do with the pre-curved structure of the sleeves. I don’t know. Maybe this will break in; I hope so. It’s a little annoying right now, but everyone has different physical ergonomics and no jacket is perfect. It’s not a dealbreaker.

— The cuffs are enormous. I’d say that the cuffs are actually larger in diameter than the forearms of the sleeves, but maybe it just seems this way because of the gusset. I have to use nearly all of the Velcro strip to cinch the wrists tight, although I admittedly do have narrow wrists. Not a big deal. Klim used long, wide strips of Velcro at the cuffs, so tightening them down is no problem. The storm cuffs are a nice touch, and I’ll probably get some use out of them at some point.

— The front YKK zipper is smooth and easy to pull up and down. As I’ve already mentioned, the other zippers feel taut, perhaps because of the water-resistant gaskets. These zippers are easy to zip and unzip when you have the jacket off; while you’re sitting on your bike with the jacket on, I have the feeling that the zippers will be more difficult to zip and unzip.

— The Velcro collar closure has changed, I think, from earlier versions; instead of having Velcro only to keep the collar closed, Klim now has a metal snap positioned in the center of the Velcro. As long as you line up the snap before the Velcro panels touch, you’re good; otherwise it’s a PITA. Nonetheless, the collar closure feels very solid.

— On the 32-degree ride this morning to work, I found out that I will definitely need an extra layer for warmth, or heated gear. This shell isn’t as warm as my previous jacket, for obvious reasons since it doesn’t have a liner. Which is okay. I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy some Gerbing’s heated gear.

— The jacket doesn’t flap around in the wind. I took the highway to work instead of slower back roads, and the jacket felt solid at 70 mph.

This weekend should be nice enough for me to take a long ride and really get a feel for the jacket. I’ll probably open up all the vents when the temperature rises over 50* to see how the ventilation scheme works. After I’ve ridden in the jacket for a few hours and a few hundred miles, I’ll follow up with additional thoughts and impressions.

Mr_Gone screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 07:33 AM
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #352
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Mr_Gone, well done initial inspection Enjoyed reading too Planning to buy that jacket too.
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #353
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Okay, I followed the washing instructions on the label and washed the jacket in warm water, then dried it on medium heat, in an effort to reduce the stiffness of the fabric. I'd say the jacket feels somewhat less stiff and crunchy now; enough to be slightly noticeable, at least.

My big problem area is still the elbow joints, though. The elbows still bind up when I try to fold my arms. It's not a big deal, but it's annoying. I'm guessing that after some break in, this will get better. Or I'll learn to ignore it.

Regarding the pockets, I knew there were too damned many. I tried to empty them all before washing the jacket, but I left some foam earplugs and my sunglasses in the pockets. Really, who needs this many pockets?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #354
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
I cannot believe a jacket cost 900.00

After a little Christmas shopping today for the GF I can tell you $900 for a jacket is cheap. Try $350 for a dress with a bit of embroidery and a few shiny things -

Not guaranteed to keep you dry, wouldn't want to rub against a rough surface wearing it and WTF, no pockets.

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #355
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
after a little christmas shopping today for the gf i can tell you $900 for a jacket is cheap. Try $350 for a dress with a bit of embroidery and a few shiny things -

not guaranteed to keep you dry, wouldn't want to rub against a rough surface wearing it and wtf, no pockets.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #356
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Mr_Gone nice write up.

A few comments. I am 6'3" and 225 pounds and 48-50" chest and also have an XL. The sizing is perfect for me. A Gerbings heated jacket and a Minus 33 wool shirt is all I need to keep me warm in any temperature I choose to ride in. I rode around at length the other day at 30 degrees and had the controller about half way and was extremely comfortable. It also helps that the Yamaha heated grips on the Super Tenere will get hot enough to fry an egg if you turn them all the way up.

This jacket keeps the wind out very well when it is cold out. In the summer the vents do a very good job of moving air through the jacket. Overall, this jacket has a very wide temperature range.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #357
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Mr_Gone nice write up.

A few comments. I am 6'3" and 225 pounds and 48-50" chest and also have an XL. The sizing is perfect for me. A Gerbings heated jacket and a Minus 33 wool shirt is all I need to keep me warm in any temperature I choose to ride in. I rode around at length the other day at 30 degrees and had the controller about half way and was extremely comfortable. It also helps that the Yamaha heated grips on the Super Tenere will get hot enough to fry an egg if you turn them all the way up.

This jacket keeps the wind out very well when it is cold out. In the summer the vents do a very good job of moving air through the jacket. Overall, this jacket has a very wide temperature range.
I just pulled the trigger on some Gerbing's heated gear, including gloves and liner. I don't have heated grips, but I think the T5 gloves should be warm enough. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to layer under my Badlands jacket.

It's actually 65 degrees today, so I'm going to go for a ride and see how the vents work.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #358
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Oddometer: 103
Double your core body-temp retention with the Badlands jacket

I ride year round and use a Gerbings heated jacket liner. But on cold days (like today - 0 degrees Celsius), the heated liner barely manages to keep up on the chest area when riding 80 kmph or faster. However, here is a very easy, inexpensive and removable fix for that problem based on that ages old "newpaper wind protector" trick . . .

The Badlands has those two front pouches to hold the Dow Corning chest protectors. I took a piece of that double-sided foil covered bubble wrap insulation that's only about 1/8" thick and used the chest protectors to trace their shapes on the foil insulation. Then I just cut it out the shapes with sissors and put those in place of the chest protectors in the pockets. This material has just enough stiffness to keep it's shape, but is very flexible and doesn't add any bulk to the jacket. I'm sure any 1/8" closed cell foam would work too, but the foil has reflective properties that might provide a bit of an advantage over foam.

All I can say after riding in this morning is . . . HOLY CRAP! . . . the heat reflected back and wind protection was amazing! Half way in on my commute I had to turn down the heat on the liner because my chest was getting too warm. I've never been able to do that before. So this means far better core body temperature retention and even lower amperage draw by being able to keep the jacket temperature lower.

An extremely low cost win-win.

Note: I've removed the chest protectors for daily commuting use, but this could easily still be done with them left in if you have the room to spare. I'd put the foil insulation to the inside if I was doing that, so it reflected the heat better.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 10:31 AM
V-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #359
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Stormer View Post
I ride year round and use a Gerbings heated jacket liner. But on cold days (like today - 0 degrees Celsius), the heated liner barely manages to keep up on the chest area when riding 80 kmph or faster. However, here is a very easy, inexpensive and removable fix for that problem based on that ages old "newpaper wind protector" trick . . .

The Badlands has those two front pouches to hold the Dow Corning chest protectors. I took a piece of that double-sided foil covered bubble wrap insulation that's only about 1/8" thick and used the chest protectors to trace their shapes on the foil insulation. Then I just cut it out the shapes with sissors and put those in place of the chest protectors in the pockets. This material has just enough stiffness to keep it's shape, but is very flexible and doesn't add any bulk to the jacket. I'm sure any 1/8" closed cell foam would work too, but the foil has reflective properties that might provide a bit of an advantage over foam.

All I can say after riding in this morning is . . . HOLY CRAP! . . . the heat reflected back and wind protection was amazing! Half way in on my commute I had to turn down the heat on the liner because my chest was getting too warm. I've never been able to do that before. So this means far better core body temperature retention and even lower amperage draw by being able to keep the jacket temperature lower.

An extremely low cost win-win.

Note: I've removed the chest protectors for daily commuting use, but this could easily still be done with them left in if you have the room to spare. I'd put the foil insulation to the inside if I was doing that, so it reflected the heat better.
Now, that is a great idea. Thanks for posting.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #360
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Stormer View Post
I've removed the chest protectors for daily commuting use, but this could easily still be done with them left in if you have the room to spare. I'd put the foil insulation to the inside if I was doing that, so it reflected the heat better.
This is indeed a fantastic idea! I've also removed the chest protectors for daily commuting, so I might try the aluminum foil trick tomorrow, when it's supposed to be around 18 degrees F in the morning.