Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
3Putt OP
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 626
I need help fixing a plate to a side case rack.

I'm looking for a clean way to mount an XM puck to my Hepco Becker side case rack. The rack is flat top and bottom with round edges. I'd like to fix a plate that I could attach the puck to or maybe a small box to put the puck in.

I don't want to use a RAM or tech mount. I'd like to be able to walk into a hardware store and come out with everything I'd need. I have no idea what's available and am looking for some help.

Here's a pic of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks.

2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
I'm looking for a clean way to mount an XM puck to my Hepco Becker side case rack. The rack is flat top and bottom with round edges. I'd like to fix a plate that I could attach the puck to or maybe a small box to put the puck in.

I don't want to use a RAM or tech mount. I'd like to be able to walk into a hardware store and come out with everything I'd need. I have no idea what's available and am looking for some help.

Here's a pic of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks.

Depending on what you have available for a plate, if it's thick enough, you could countersink a flat head bolt, drill through rack and secure with locknut. Something like a giant fender washer might work but probably not thick enough to countersink.

You could also use a ubolt if you don't want to drill the rack but the ends of the studs will be a problem.

Find a mount either metal or plastic that has a small tang and hose clamp it on.

I think the cleanest solution is a countersunk bolt right through the rack. If you can't find something, I have plenty of aluminum rod and can make one up in a minute on the lathe and send it to you, you'd need the bolt and nut. No charge of course

I find wandering the aisles usually gets the juices flowing with ideas

Just checked, Mcmaster has jumbo washers but you need to buy 5 or so in a 3" size and it ends up being $20 with shipping for one washer.

How about a hole saw? You can drill a nice piece of wood with a large diameter hole saw and you'll get a puck with a hole drilled automatically. Get a thin (probably 1/4" shank due to drill pilot hole or thinner) bolt of any variety and cinch it down so the head crushes the wood enought the head does not protrude. Use 2 sided tape to secure or the industrial velco like on ez pass.

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 05:41 AM
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,627
Do you want the antenna to be removable without tools?

If so, I'd suggest some 3M heavy duty locking tape; it's not velcro or any other style of hook-and-loop. It instead interlocks pins and is very sturdy. I used a full covering on the back of my wireless heat controller, and it was almost impossible to remove from a RAM mounting plate. I had to cut waaaay back on the amount of the tape I used for the attachment, and it still does not come of without a fight.

I'm amazed at the level of adhesion that is achieved with modern materials.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
3Putt OP
Is that a gimmie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Find a mount either metal or plastic that has a small tang and hose clamp it on.

I think the cleanest solution is a countersunk bolt right through the rack. If you can't find something, I have plenty of aluminum rod and can make one up in a minute on the lathe and send it to you, you'd need the bolt and nut. No charge of course

I find wandering the aisles usually gets the juices flowing with ideas
Wow, thanks for the offer! I'm not ready to drill a hole in the rack yet but yes, that would be the way to go.

I think the tang with hose clamp sounds interesting. I've also considered using adel clamps and hanging a plate between the two supports. If I did that I could use Dual Lock and be done with it. A sturdy piece of plastic would probably be good enough I think. My main concern is it looking like home-made ass when I get done.

2014 Super Tenere
Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
3Putt OP
Is that a gimmie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Do you want the antenna to be removable without tools?

If so, I'd suggest some 3M heavy duty locking tape; it's not velcro or any other style of hook-and-loop. It instead interlocks pins and is very sturdy. I used a full covering on the back of my wireless heat controller, and it was almost impossible to remove from a RAM mounting plate. I had to cut waaaay back on the amount of the tape I used for the attachment, and it still does not come of without a fight.

I'm amazed at the level of adhesion that is achieved with modern materials.
Dual Lock is great stuff but the support is so much thinner than the puck that it wouldn't take much force to create enough leverage dislodge the puck.

2014 Super Tenere
Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
If you want a box, any electronic supply store should have what they call "project boxes" or "potting boxes" in different sizes. Black or grey your choice. Closed in box with a cover/4 screws, then you can waterproof them at the seam with conformal coatings.

Choices....lots of them.

http://www.polycase.com/
Old 12-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
3Putt OP
Is that a gimmie?

Thanks for the tip on the project boxes. After looking at them online I went to Home Depot but couldn't find one that was just the right size. I ended up doing this. There's no rubber under the puck, but 3M Dual Lock. It's not going anywhere. I may try to hang a tool tube from the new shelf.

2014 Super Tenere