ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
garyk OP
El Mule

Oddometer: 46
Bicimap

I just got back from a Trip to Mexico.. And before I went I bought a full set of mexico maps.
I had a problem with them. When I was off the main roads. The screan woud go blank and it would tell me no roads. It would not even show me the map.. When i was on a road it reconized it showed my bike off the road.. I tell you bicimaps is a joke as far as i am concerned. I road 3000 miles in Mexico. And some times it was useful.. But most of the time i used a map...
Is this me or is bicimaps just a rip off..
Coments please.
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk
I just got back from a Trip to Mexico.. And before I went I bought a full set of mexico maps.
I had a problem with them. When I was off the main roads. The screan woud go blank and it would tell me no roads. It would not even show me the map.. When i was on a road it reconized it showed my bike off the road.. I tell you bicimaps is a joke as far as i am concerned. I road 3000 miles in Mexico. And some times it was useful.. But most of the time i used a map...
Is this me or is bicimaps just a rip off..
Coments please.
Must be you or your GPS...I've used BiciMapas with no problems on 2 different GPS's...check the detail level setting on your GPS. If it's set to low detail, it won't show anything except major highways...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Are you using a Zumo? If so, Bicimapas is not well-configured for use with a Zumo. I had the same kinds of problems. You can solve most but not all of them by playing with the level of detail and the zoom level but it's certainly not a smooth or intuitive process. Dan
Old 03-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,496
Had the same problems using a 2610. One day I was lost in a large city. I knew I needed to go west so I thought at least I'll just stay on the main streets and go west, just as I would near an intersection the icon would jump off the road and point another direction.

In my opinion these maps are a waste of money. I resorted to my Guia Rojii maps and all was well
Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
garyk OP
El Mule

Oddometer: 46
Zumo

Yes i am using a Zumo 550. I played with the thing for 3 weeks during the trip.. I never did get it to work properly...
I will call Alberto and complain.. Maybe he knows the fixes..
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk
Yes i am using a Zumo 550. I played with the thing for 3 weeks during the trip.. I never did get it to work properly...
I will call Alberto and complain.. Maybe he knows the fixes..
Let us know what he says. I'm hoping he comes out with a fix before my next Mexico trip. Dan
Old 04-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
I've been using the Mexico Topo Atlas from Bicimapas for over a year now. I've used it on a legend e-trex, Nuvi 650 and for the last 5 months, on a zumo 550. It works fine on all three gps's. One of my riding buddies uses a Garmin Rhino and it also works fine. I've used it on major highways, secondary roads, urban streets as well as off road. I ride my atv on dirt roads and the map has been very accurate even off road.

It has happened in two or three ocasions, on mayor four lane highways, (two lanes on each direction) that my GPS shows my vehicle OFF the highway (about 5 or 10 meters off). This is due probably to the fact that the highway used to be a two lane road and the other two lanes were built recently, I think. Other than that, I've had no problems

If you have a zumo, it might help to do a software update. Garmin continues to put out update versions for this product.

Hope this helps.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
I've been using the Mexico Topo Atlas from Bicimapas for over a year now. I've used it on a legend e-trex, Nuvi 650 and for the last 5 months, on a zumo 550. It works fine on all three gps's. One of my riding buddies uses a Garmin Rhino and it also works fine. I've used it on major highways, secondary roads, urban streets as well as off road. I ride my atv on dirt roads and the map has been very accurate even off road.

It has happened in two or three ocasions, on mayor four lane highways, (two lanes on each direction) that my GPS shows my vehicle OFF the highway (about 5 or 10 meters off). This is due probably to the fact that the highway used to be a two lane road and the other two lanes were built recently, I think. Other than that, I've had no problems

If you have a zumo, it might help to do a software update. Garmin continues to put out update versions for this product. Hope this helps.
We are not talking about the Mexican Topo Atlas; I have that also and it works fine, within its accuracy limitations, on my Zumo. This is about Bicimapas Mexico Atlas, a new product that was released in January of this year. And my Zumo is and has been up-to-date. Dan
Old 04-04-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
I have the Baja edition of the bicimaps, and it was completely accurate and invaluable when I went last year. Alberto has done a great job with it.
I use an eXplorist 600, so its interface is somewhat different than the Zumo. There are a few common things in Magellans that can make your map not show.
I have to select the map zone in my detail maps. If I don't, of course it's not there. Only the base map is there, and it shows main roads.
The detail maps only show their detail if the screen resolution is set to a small amount. This is slightly adjustable, but is defaulted at the .8 mile resolution. Zoom in to less than .8 mile to see the details.
There are so many small details of operation to remember that using the GPSr becomes very "un-intuitive"
I set my unit up, got into the maps and virtually wandered a lot of Baja on the GPSr. This made it much easier to rely on the GPSr when I was in country.

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtop1
We are not talking about the Mexican Topo Atlas; I have that also and it works fine, within its accuracy limitations, on my Zumo. This is about Bicimapas Mexico Atlas, a new product that was released in January of this year. And my Zumo is and has been up-to-date. Dan
I think your zumo is the problem. I have the lastest Atlas 2.0 and it works on my 276c, but it does have some new bugs that the previous release didn't have. Alberto is supposed to be working on fixing the bugs, but because the zumo is a different beast from the rest of the Garmins, it may be a while before he gets that resolved...as far as seeing your route a few meters from your actual position, I've had that happen with the U. S. maps, so it's not just a Bicimaps bug...atmospheric conditions will effect any GPS if you're not within range of a WAAS station...

SKINNY screwed with this post 04-10-2008 at 06:00 AM
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
I had that happen one day on my 2610. I was on a major intersate parallel to some railroad tracks. The track showed my about 25-30 yards from where I was. Its never done that again.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
i used 2012 w/ great success.

just got this update:

Mexico GPS Atlas 2013 is here.

This new version provides a response to some features being asked by a large
amount of our customers who use the map for outdoor activities such as 4x4,
motorcycling, hiking and other outdoor activities, who have asked to
increase the detail of the contour lines in order to have a better idea of
the shape of the land, as well as adding more natural points of interest to
help in off road navigation.

We have listened and developed the information our customers look for and
added it to this release. Major changes are:

• Added 20 meter (60 feet) contours for the full country
• Added a full new hydrology data set. Now the river outlines have a
very high precision and we increased the coverage in all the country.
• About 550,000 new points of interest of which 200,000 are natural ones
to support better off road navigation.
• The remainder 350,000 are increased urban POIs throughout the
country, so we now have over one million three hundred thousand POIs .
• Added street detail for 1000 cities.

With these new features and contents, this is the only full topographic and
routable GPS map available for Mexico.

Central America Integration

As a new feature, we have seamlessly integrated our Central America map, so
now travelers to that region may plan their routes and travels, fully
integrated with de Mexico map data. In Central America we also added 20
meter (60 feet) contours, allowing for a better interpretation of the land
shape for outdoor activities.

The most complete and versatile map Mexico and Central America is now at
your fingertips.
Due to the high amount of new data we are adding, the map size increased to
just over 1.5 Gb from the approximate 600 Mb that the 2012 version had.
As a customer of one of our previous versions, you may purchase this upgrade
for just $ 79.00 USD and you may get it from our webpage
http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/MexicGPSAtlasEn.htm

Greetings

BiciMapas
Av. Lomas Verdes No. 58 Local 17
Col. Santa Cruz Acatlan
Naucalpan, Estado de Mexico
Mexico, CP 53150
(55) 53 60 30 65/32-96
gpsmaps@bicimapas.com.mx
http://www.bicimapas.com.mx
http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/Empresa.htm
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
artbone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
BiciMapas 2013

I just installed the latest update to Bicimapas 2013. I'm very pleased with it except for some minor glitches. For one thing, the map doesn't show Mexico City or Oaxaca. There are probably other major cities that are missing but those are the first ones I looked for. I just sent Alberto an email pointing this out.

I think the problem is that there are so many small towns that even at the lowest level of detail you can't see the big picture in BaseCamp. On the plus side it really has a lot of detail, the topo map is included, as well as the Central America. I don't think the CA maps have the same level of detail but they should be very helpful.

I've been using his maps for at least six years and they've gotten better and better over the years. I recommend them to anyone who's going to be touring in Mexico.

Not all who wander are lost.

http://tinyurl.com/adventurebeforedementia
artbone is offline   Reply With Quote