User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
pingvin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Winter riding - my advices

Posted this on another forum, maybe of interst here as well (for some at least):

Merino wool, 1 or 2 layers, as base layer and wind proof textile on top. A road textil jacket is fine (everyone have one of those laying around?), if really cold, with the thermal liner. The EDZ inner shell stuff (google it) is great for back up or if just very cold. Either pressure suit above base layer (actually adds a bit of warmth as well) or the integrated protectors in jacket.

Smartwool merino socks and wool soles

Gloves. Hard to get around a bit bulky ones. I've go some good gloves from HELD, they're warm and ok regarding bulk. Handguards help, heated grips too.

Fleece buff, keeping neck warm makes a big difference

But the biggest problem is misting. I have an mx helmet with visor, advantage being I can flip it up as soon as stop (that's when the problem starts ofte) and when I start riding, I keep it open for a few seconds to blow off whatever mist is there. Off course a road helmet would do the same (maybe with pin lock).

Also have Smith goggles with a small fan that also helps quite a bit.

What makes a big difference, is the breath box in the helmet leading breath down instead of up on goggles/visor. There are balaclavas doing some of the same. A mx helmet has a lot of ventilation in front so gets very cold at speed. If no breath box, I guess gaffa tape will help?

But hard to get rid of the misting and gets worse the colder/slower/higher activity (Unless you have a snowmobile helmet laying around). Keeping a spare pair of google could be a good idea.

Then there's always heated gear. Have that for below -10degC and low activity (forest roads). Even a vest will actually help feet/hand a lot since keeping core temperature up allows body to send more warm blood out.

1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Euromad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Good suggestions! I use an MX helmet and goggles with a balaclava and a breath deflector. The goggles fog little, the deflector keeps my nose warm and I also tape over all vents- bring some extra if you're going slower and need to vent. I also use handlebar mitts ie. Hippo hands over the bark busters. This allows use of riding gloves while keeping your hands warm. I find the padded gloves make me sweat too much unless I'm just riding fast with little effort.
I use this setup for snowmobiling as well.
Euromad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
la's
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
As far as junk getting on the outside of my face shield misting, I pull a cheap microfiber (cleaning mitten) from the dollar store over one of my motorcycle gloves and intermittently wipe the face shield. This is not what you were referring to but it has been a great addition to the stuff flying in face riding for me.

+1 on the merino wool and your other mentions.

Great looking winter ride!
la's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Good advice, Pingvin! I am itching for set of studded tires at the moment What are you using? As I live in Bergen I need to ride a lot of greasy roads to get to the white stuff. I guess 7mm studs are out?
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
pingvin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Maybe didn't point out that winter riding for me is on enduro bike on snow covered roads...but guess pic tells this anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie View Post
Good advice, Pingvin! I am itching for set of studded tires at the moment What are you using? As I live in Bergen I need to ride a lot of greasy roads to get to the white stuff. I guess 7mm studs are out?
Well...a few kilometers is ok. Not enjoyable but manageable. Or throw it on a trailer and go where there's snow.

You could of course go for street legal studs but the grip is nowhere close to enduro studs. Go for Trelleborg/Mitas, expensive and a pain to install (which is why I leave it to the experts), but last longer so in the long run it's good business.

Lots of new snow here in Kongsberg...will be out and ride tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromad View Post
I also use handlebar mitts ie. Hippo hands over the bark busters. This allows use of riding gloves while keeping your hands warm. I find the padded gloves make me sweat too much unless I'm just riding fast with little effort.
Have tried hippo hands and didn't bother me as much as I thought...might give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la's View Post
As far as junk getting on the outside of my face shield misting, I pull a cheap microfiber (cleaning mitten) from the dollar store over one of my motorcycle gloves and intermittently wipe the face shield. This is not what you were referring to but it has been a great addition to the stuff flying in face riding for me.
Is a pain having to stop to clear outside, maybe I'll try something like that. Misting on inside is worst at low speed but misting on outside becomes a problem at higher speeds.
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote