User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #721
ricksca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Yikes! Just a little confused here.

I'm on the list, Number 92. Beyond that, I'm not at all clear what I'm supposed to do next. I am towing in my DR650 behind a Ford Ranger on a small trailer. I think that makes me a BT3 (not MC3 as listed), but who am I supposed to pay, and when (and how)?
ricksca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #722
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksca View Post
I'm on the list, Number 92. Beyond that, I'm not at all clear what I'm supposed to do next. I am towing in my DR650 behind a Ford Ranger on a small trailer. I think that makes me a BT3 (not MC3 as listed), but who am I supposed to pay, and when (and how)?
Hi Rick,

In your first post (#92) you just said "Rick, DR650, tenting" and I assumed you were riding in. I fixed it now. Check the first page for payment info.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #723
almissoula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
List of waiting

Hey I'd love to go, this filled up before I could say 'in'. So does this post count as me saying 'waiting list'? Or do I need to PM someone as well...Thanks and hope to see yall there!

I would be riding in on an R1150GS..

almissoula screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 03:29 PM Reason: to fix shit
almissoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #724
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Hi Rick,

In your first post (#92) you just said "Rick, DR650, tenting" and I assumed you were riding in. I fixed it now. Check the first page for payment info.
Allot of work putting this together. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #725
FYYFF
Forever young...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almissoula View Post
Hey I'd love to go, this filled up before I could say 'in'. So does this post count as me saying 'waiting list'? Or do I need to PM someone as well...Thanks and hope to see yall there!

I would be riding in on an R1150GS..
You are on the waiting list.

New riders, if you are new to AdvRider, off-road riding, Death Valley or to Western Forums please post up here so other riders will get to know you. Tell us about your riding experience, your bike, where you are coming from (maybe you may carpool with other inmates) or give them a ride, etc.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #726
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
For those of us who either missed it, or like me just cant plan that far ahead, is this going to be like WARPED where only paid participants can come hang out?? Or is it gonna be a problem remote camping and coming over to hang out/ride with yall??

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #727
almissoula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Who am I? Where am I coming from?

1 tent camping - well I'm standby for now (that means camping at a more exposed site) , if my wife rides her G650GS, then 2 camping. Coming from SF not sure on the route either up over 50 or through Trona.
I have been riding for 14 years, but only on the pavement. Rode in Indonesia, Mongolia, Old Mexico, NV, UT, AZ, CO, WY, ID, MT Went to more than half of these with MendoDave. Sup Dave too bad you are not making this..
Last time I was in DV, I had a Nighthawk. Nooooo dirt
Got the R1150GS over the summer to do more death valley off-pavement and the like.
I like baseball, warm weather, dirty jokes, whiskey, and ear plugs. Hollar if you'd like to ride out together.

almissoula screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 06:08 PM
almissoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #728
FYYFF
Forever young...

Quote:
1 tent camping - well I'm standby for now (that means camping at a more exposed site) , if my wife rides her G650GS, then 2 camping. Coming from SF not sure on the route either up over 50 or through Trona.
I have been riding for 14 years, but only on the pavement. Rode in Indonesia, Mongolia, Old Mexico, NV, UT, AZ, CO, WY, ID, MT Went to more than half of these with MendoDave. Sup Dave too bad you are not making this..
Got the R1150GS over the summer to do more death valley off-pavement and the like.
I like baseball, warm weather, dirty jokes, whiskey, and ear plugs. Hollar if you'd like to ride out together.
WOW. Nice introduction. You will have quiet an audience around the fire for your stories.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 12-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #729
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 245
Group Rides

I agree wholeheartedly. The Golden rule is to assure the rider behind you knows there is a turn onto a different road or trail by waiting for that rider at the turn.

The Silver rule is to tell the ride leader or sweeper if you are leaving your group. This is very important because we and perhaps the group will go looking for anyone who is missing. We will not be happy if we learn later you left us after we spent the day searching for you, thinking you had a mechanical, got lost or got injured.

'06 Husky TE 610, '93 ATK 605, 2014 R1200 GSW
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #730
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
Tim - I joined your Saturday Titus Canyon Ride and will volunteer to ride sweep.
Thanks Larry!
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #731
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 1,004
Out of curiousity on a typical ride for weenie--- I mean noobies like me about how many miles are they and how early do you tend to depart (i.e., how much gas do I need in the morning and how much booze should I consume the night before).
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #732
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Out of curiousity on a typical ride for weenie--- I mean noobies like me about how many miles are they and how early do you tend to depart (i.e., how much gas do I need in the morning and how much booze should I consume the night before).
It depends. Check the posted rides for departure times and routes, then check the GPS routes for approximate mileage.

I plan my rides to leave early so I don't have to put up with the riders that are too hungover to ride. Also keep in mind that we will still have pretty short days, so use the daylight wisely.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #733
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
For those of us who either missed it, or like me just cant plan that far ahead, is this going to be like WARPED where only paid participants can come hang out?? Or is it gonna be a problem remote camping and coming over to hang out/ride with yall??

true, the date is so far far away that many of us could not guarantee we will be there. why don't you add yourself to the waiting list and hope you can make the cut; and the timing is righ. if you end up paying and could not go, you may get a refund or just donate your money.

remote camping and hanging out/ride ....i would like to say no in fairness with those paid and people on the waiting list.

i have a feeling a good 20 - 40 people on the list are just empty chairs.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #734
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
You are on the waiting list.

New riders, if you are new to AdvRider, off-road riding, Death Valley or to Western Forums please post up here so other riders will get to know you. Tell us about your riding experience, your bike, where you are coming from (maybe you may carpool with other inmates) or give them a ride, etc.
+1

this is true especially for those who want to join the group rides. this way we will know who you are, what's your interest and skill level.

for instance, those who like to take pictures or just enjoy the sights, you may better off hanging out with others who enjoy the same thing.

don't try to hook up on the morning of the ride, it is going to be crazy....and getting stuck with the wrong group. this is the whole idea of the forum, exchange thoughts and share. avoid surprises.

Quote:
shame on you calling yourself a noob.....

thanks for taking the time. love to hear more about your travels.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #735
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 1,004
Oh alright then...

I don't know shit ;)

I've got very little dirt experience on two wheels and moderate street experience (commute, etc). I know the desert well (although not DV in particular) but from a four wheeled perspective, so I know what to expect from the land at least. My desire is a run that won't stress my heavy pig out too much (i.e., it's not a little dirt bike, I know this, I'm not that hairdresser kid). I'm fairly adventurous but not crazy. While I don't mind a slower pace I'm not looking to stop every forty feet to take pictures.

The machine is an '05 KLR650, it will have proper tires (plan is 606s on both ends if funds work out) and a 14t countershaft gear at minimum. Stock tank so range should be in the neighborhood of 175 - 200 miles (assuming I'm getting shitty mileage).

GSequoia screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 01:30 AM
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote