User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #46
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
I absolutely disagree. But for 1000 mile days to be enjoyable takes practice......
Does it provide you will some personal satisfaction?
Is this enjoyable every day - continuously?
Is It ever not a joy?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #47
F800ekelley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Good replys here thanks to all for the input much appreciated i did 12 hour day was fine i am only going to do 15 hour days. Agree no ride is worth crashing. I am really looking fwd to doing this..
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #48
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Does it provide you will some personal satisfaction?
Is this enjoyable every day - continuously?
Is It ever not a joy?
Enjoyment and personal satisfaction, yes.

Although I am more of an introvert, I am in sales, and do a lot of volunteering and social activities. Time on the bike, alone, with just my own thoughts for company, is a very welcome thing.

My experience with day after day is limited to a SS5000, SS3000, SS2000, 50cc, B2B Insanity, and many 1500 mile day trips. I do not list those rides to brag, but to say my experience is limited... there are far more seasoned and experienced long distance riders than me. I have never done the Iron Butt Rally, or any serious rally for that matter. But for me, the rides I have completed have all been very satisfying.

I read somewhere once... maybe in a Mark Twight book... that it doesn't have to be fun to be fun. There are certainly low times, and tired times. Practice and preparation limit those low times I think, but they are still there. It becomes important to know where you are and stop before your riding becomes unsafe. And equally important to stop before you cross the line of what can be fun and satisfying for you, so that you don't just give up on the activity of riding. I read of one rider who completed the Iron Butt Rally, and then never rode again. I am guessing that if the guy had stopped sooner, he might have enjoy riding another day. By continuing, even though it became miserable for him, his desire to ride was killed.

TheRoss screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 08:11 AM
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #49
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,622
If next summer is like the last 2
1. You need a camel back, and drink all the time. I can empty a camel back in 100 miles, and not have to pee. Drink more.
2. Mesh gear rules.
3. Never pass a clean flowing stream with out a swim, but avoid stagnate water, there is the nasty amoeba, often fatal.
4. Drink more
5. consider travel early morning and late at night, take a nap in a nice mall or something.
6. Ice is your friend. Beer is not.

Most of all, have fun
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #50
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
Enjoyment and personal satisfaction, yes.....
Do you feel a sense of accomplishment?
If so, by what or whose vaildation?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #51
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Lone rider- I can't speak for Ross, but I can for myself, because I also string 1000 mile days together. I do it because I enjoy the serenity of the ride and I just enjoy riding a motorcycle! Do I get a feeling of accomplishment? Sure, why wouldn't I? I get a feeling of accomplishment when I finish adjusting the valves on my bike. As far as validation, I do it because I want to, not for a certificate or anyones approval, they are meaningless to me. I guess it boils down to " If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand."
It is funny, I get up ride 250 miles to eat at a burger joint I like, get back on the bike and ride another 100 just to eat a danish that I like at a little bakery, look in store fronts while eating it, jump back on the bike and ride the long way home and not give it a second thought that I did it. My friends don't understand why I do it and I have never explained why, but I think Ross understand why.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #52
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 1,005
I enjoy the trip planning and preparation. And yes it's a feeling of accomplishment when the plan works.

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #53
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Do you feel a sense of accomplishment?
If so, by what or whose vaildation?
I don't think you can complete these kinds of rides and not feel like you accomplished something. But I try to do rides that inspire me or interest me. I did a SS1000 in September, with the summit of Pikes Peak as the turn around point. Last January I did one all in Texas, all on small state highways... no interstates or big highways. Route planning for that was harder, and the ride took longer than sitting on an interstate... but running 500 miles out on an interstate, and turning around and running 500 miles back home, does not really interest me.

I feel like I do these rides for myself. I am always excited to get a new IBA certificate in the mail. But after I read over it I put it in a three ring binder where I keep all the certificates, along with maps of each ride. And the binder goes back on the top of the bookshelf. Nothing at all wrong with displaying the certificates. But I just stash them away. I did the ride for me and no one else.

Earlier you brought up the need some feel for respect. It is true. There are some riders who lord their accomplishments over others, or feel they are due respect because of what they have done. This is probably true in any sport or profession. When I was in my 20s I was much more egotistical than I am now. I might have said the words "put up or shut up", back then. Today (at the ripe old age of 37) I believe that what I have done is meaningful for me alone. But I do not expect non-participants to understand it or for anyone to give me any kind of respect or applause because of it. I didn't do any of these rides for anyone other than myself. I would hope that others respected me for being honest and helpful, for being willing to help wrench on a bike or lend a hand, etc...... But why should anyone else care about the rides I have done for myself?

I appreciate your thoughtful questions. It is making me think through why I enjoy this kind of riding so much.

TheRoss screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 05:55 AM
Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #54
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
My friends don't understand why I do it and I have never explained why, but I think Ross understand why.
Yep.

A few weeks ago I rode 350 miles to a gathering of friends for a bowl of chili. After eating and catching up with the guys I rode 350 miles back home, a different way. Was the chili worth riding 700 miles in a day? Not by itself... but the full day of riding was very enjoyable, and seeing old friends was great!

Ken... if you're reading this... don't tell Tom his chili was just okay.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #55
Homeslice1970
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hello F800ekelley -

I am admittedly more of a lurker on here than a poster but this thread strikes a chord and I just have to add my two cents. I too am a lover of the distance rides and really enjoy the 1000 mile plus days. Different people enjoy different types of riding. Whether influenced by time constraints, physical issues or something else we all have one thing in common. We all love to ride. It shouldn't matter if we ride super slab, backroads or dirt. We all love to ride. Some of us freaks let the sights, sounds and smells of riding just melt away the miles making 1000 mile days a non event. There doesn't need to be any validation beyond the fact that some are happiest on the bike. As long as you are aware of your limits, the long distances need not be unsafe. I hope your trip is a great one and wish you all the best.
Homeslice1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #56
polishadam82
black sheep

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800ekelley View Post
I am looking to ride from phoenix az to philadelphia pa in july was wondering if I could get some advice from the iron butt guys and the riders who have done it before trip in in july 2013. I have family to stay with along the way but would like to put in 15 to 20 hour days . I will be riding a f800gs. Was wondering what safest route is? Fun roads? Best route? Good places for food? Most of all routes with fewest trucks ? Any fffeedback would be great any most stops or must have gear?
Hey F800 I'm planing on riding to NJ begging of July well I have to be there for the 4th I'm planning on leaving SF bay area on the 30th of June maybe we can hook up somewhere half way or something and ride together we got same destination and we are on the same coast anyway let me know
polishadam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #57
F800ekelley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
ILAZONIC that sounds awesome our dates actuallty conflict i need to be back east on the 12TH the return date is in the air but i would enjoy a riding partner. I see u own a few bikes what u riding? A riding companion would be really nice though
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #58
polishadam82
black sheep

Oddometer: 103
mainly 1150gsa for longer distance and versys around town
polishadam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #59
deersSlayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Agreed about the deer. Even if you see them you cannot predict what they will do.
Agreed too! I have far too many near deer experiences every year (I like tight twisty back roads!)
I've hit deer twice while riding, both resulted in crashes. I've hit another in a car. All in daylight.
I never ride at night for fear of deer.

They're a really bad combination of size, speed, stupidity and randomness! At least they're tasty.
deersSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #60
scudrunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I agree with most of the inmates here... Phoenix to Philly is a long ride, it can be done but it's all on the superslab without much to see. I've done a couple 800 mile days on a DL1000 but that is basically no stopping except for gas. You could do what a lot of Iron Butt riders do... ride hard and sleep in rest areas on picnic benches for a few hours then ride again. In the summer it will be brutal... take Monkey Butt powder.
scudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote