Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #211
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
signalMinder connections

Here is a Kisan signalMinder SM-1:

These are the connections for an SM-1 on a '75 R90S. This is the stock BMW (Hella) relay and the Kisan signalMinder SM-1; Hella relay has four terminals and the SM-1 has three:

This is the BMW "plug". Four wires: brown is ground, black/white goes to instrument cluster turn signal lamp, green/black is positive (+) power to the relay, and green/yellow is power output to the turn signal switch:

Can't use the BMW plug, so, out come the wires. I was able to remove two of the female connectors but had to cut the wires on the others:

Attached a new female connector to the green/black, then the BMW wires are connected directly to the SM-1. The SM-1 instructions show an example of a "plug" so I transposed that to the SM-1 connectors. Look at the photo for the correct connector locations: 1) green/black, bottom connector in photo; 2) green/yellow, middle; 3) brown is at the top:
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #212
LBourque
G/S nut

Oddometer: 225
G/S LED problem solved

Just wanted to send a note of thanks to Kisan LED techs. After installing aftermarket LED's in all four indicator lights my lights would all flash at the same time. I purchased a #168 LED instrument indicator bulb. The tech told me to remove the indicator bulb to correct the all indicator flashing. It worked and I am now waiting for Kisan to send me the #168 LED bulb. Wonderful to have a good company offer suggestions without actually purchasing anything of significance. If and when I learn to post pics they will be there.
LBourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #213
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Sm-1

I did not reconnect the black/white wire (power to the turn signal lamp in the instrument housing). Notice in the photo below that the green/ black and brown wire positions are switched; this is not correct. The correct connections are shown in the previous post.

These are the connections for the running lights and the brake lights:

I ran the red wire out of the headlight shell to the brake light wire (green/red) underneath the tank:

SM-1 red wire to BMW green/red brake light wire:

I cut the SM-1 black and white wires and attached female connectors:

The SM-1 black goes to the left turn, BMW blue/red; the SM-1 white goes to right turn, BMW blue/black. I connected the SM-1 wires directly:

Connections completed:
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #214
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

done:

Velcro comes with the SM-1:

Stuck in to position. Done:
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #215
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBourque View Post
Just wanted to send a note of thanks to Kisan LED techs. After installing aftermarket LED's in all four indicator lights my lights would all flash at the same time. I purchased a #168 LED instrument indicator bulb. The tech told me to remove the indicator bulb to correct the all indicator flashing. It worked and I am now waiting for Kisan to send me the #168 LED bulb. Wonderful to have a good company offer suggestions without actually purchasing anything of significance. If and when I learn to post pics they will be there.
You are correct. The stock BMW has one turn signal indicator lamp in the instrument housing. The LED is necessary to prevent "cross-talk" between the right and left turn signals. I have an Acewell speedo with separate right and left lamps, so I did not connect the black/white wire (power to the BMW turn indicator lamp).
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #216
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Craydds, thanx for the nice pix and descriptions!!
Les_Garten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #217
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
thanx for the nice pix
You are too kind, but thanks for the compliments. How are your projects coming along, Les_Garten?
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 08:46 AM Reason: addition
Old 12-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #218
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,272
I've upgraded to a Hannigan Fairing which uses non-BMW turn signal housings and and I find that these front turn signals are not bright enough to suit me. I want to do an upgrade to LED turn signals and plan to use the Custom Dynamics Genesis LED Cluster:

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm
(first item on the page)

The usual rule of thumb that I've always heard is to use an LED to match the lens color: a red LED for a red lens, an amber LED for an amber lens. But White LEDs have a much higher brightness than the Amber LEDs (9500mcd as opposed to 3500mcd) and I'm wondering if I can use the White LED cluster behind an Amber turn signal lens. I've done a quick check shining a white LED penlight through an amber lens and comparing the "tone" of the light with an Amber LED marker light shining through the lens and the two light sources look the same.

--Bill
Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #219
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post

The usual rule of thumb that I've always heard is to use an LED to match the lens color: a red LED for a red lens, an amber LED for an amber lens.

--Bill
Bill, I have the signalMinder and now have rear turn signals as running lights. It has been rumored that rear running lights must be RED according to law; don't know if that is factual but I went with red LED's in my rear turn signal housing and they shine brightly as RED through the amber lens. I went with amber LED's up front and they shine brightly as amber, of course. I suppose one could try a "white" LED with an amber lens, but the $$$ cost of one LED is the factor in a trial.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 03:14 PM Reason: spell check
Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #220
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
It has been rumored that rear running lights must be RED according to law;
in california at least, this is correct. I think it is nation wide.
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #221
ignatz72 OP
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
Red lens requirements are State/County specific, so to be safe you should stick with Red in the Rear (that doesn't sound good does it?).

I went with red in back just because I didn't want to possibly be at the mercy of whichever township's finest who had a bad day and really wants to issue that ticket...

But Bill, I think white bulbs will be fine, although I do love how rich the amber light is in my front signals. Without a luminosity/color gauge to quantify, I think it's mostly academic though.

Hell, clear incandescents worked fine until some idiot started a thread about LEDs!

ignatz72 screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 12:45 PM
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #222
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 418
red superbrights

Get the red superbright led for rear turn signals the red looks and work great through the yellow lense ...50 bucks boom done dont even think about it its the only fix
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #223
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,274
When I inquired about the signalminder for my airhead, I got this response:

================================================== ==================================
SM-1 signalMinder replaces the Hella stock relay of the airhead.

https://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=SM-1

If you replace all (4) turn signals to LEDs, you will also have to replace the single dash indicator idiot bulb to a 12V LED. Also, hooking up the Running Light option is recommended.
================================================== ===================================

The running lights option is very nice with all LED turn signals. So, the turn signal instrument light is replaced by a LED. Once that is done the black/white wire is somehow attached to the relay - is that in the instructions somewhere?
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #224
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
you will also have to replace the single dash indicator idiot bulb to a 12V LED. So, the turn signal instrument light is replaced by a LED. Once that is done the black/white wire is somehow attached to the relay - is that in the instructions somewhere?
No... on the LED instrument cluster bulb. One must use an incandescent (stock BMW) bulb. You need a bulb with some resistance to prevent "cross talk" between the right and left sides when connecting the running light option. I will have to review more info on what one does with the black/white wire, or perhaps ignatz knows the facts.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 12-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #225
ignatz72 OP
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
D'oh, sorry no, I have no experience w/ the SM-1, only the SM-6.

I was hoping you knew this one craydds! I thought you had an SM-1 but didn't use some of the connections...

In any case, I'll try to dig up my manual and see what's what w/ the SM-1.
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote