User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Rev OP
Asshole

Oddometer: 221
KLR break in tips please

just like the title says. after 3 months, 2 people fired, and close to $4000 in repairs, and a letter of intent to sue, im on top end #3. since im breaking this one in, i need tips. ive only ridden maybe 10 miles so far, and im thinking about taking a trip sunday to put some good break in miles on her but id like some tips first.

so far, ive kept it around/under 4k rpm, havent lugged the motor but have engine braked as much as possible. sound good so far?

come to find out nothing i was told when i bought it was right. wasnt rejetted with the aftermarket pipe, wasnt broken in (and the sales guy admitted to doing wheelies and jumps on it...), was missing half the fairing hardware and a radiator support bolt...jesus.

anywho, im happy to be back riding instead of getting rides.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
I dont understand what your as the title says...but proper break in on my klr did not include a "trip" or "ride"

on my 08 I bought 4 galons or so of dino oil...

then went at it to seat the rings properly..by this I mean no constant throttle...always accelerating and decelerating useing engine compression...

uphills downhills and not exceeding rpms...

change oil at 50, 200, 500 and 2k miles and you will be good to go

Im confused on the 3 topend parts and all that jazz...Im just giving you my 2cents

my 08klr(famous for burning oil) burnt none...after proper breakin

good luck!

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Rev OP
Asshole

Oddometer: 221
mines an 08. ive chronicled some of the many issues here in the past. i bought it on top end #2, and this is now #3 since something went wrong with their last repair...

and by the ride i meant i was going to go and, well, ride the thing. do some around town riding to rack up a few hundred miles.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
bummer I know what you feel like...

I did my homeworkd before buying my bike

honestly riding around softly just doesnt make sense to me in order to get proper ring seating...thats all

there are many many many posts about proper breakin for KLR especially here...

klr cary etc...many methods...
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,431
I trust Kevin Cameron a lot. In 1995 he wrote about break-in procedures and how they are different in different situations:

http://www.dezmo.com/breakin.html

The very short summary is that you need to go hard enough to seat rings, but not so hard as to overload the oil with metal bits.

Some changes or rebuilds won't need rings seated and some rebuilds won't generate much metal flake.

(A friend just dropped off Top Dead Center 2, the second collection of Kevin Cameron's columns from Cycle World. Many of these will be repeats for me, but I REALLY enjoy reading and learning from Kevin Cameron.)

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
so far, ive kept it around/under 4k rpm, havent lugged the motor but have engine braked as much as possible. sound good so far?
Keep the revs down yes and while you don't want to lug the engine badly you do want to load the engine. Ride with the throttle fairly open and in a higher gear than usual. The idea is that you want keep as much pressure on the back of the rings as possible, having the throttle closed would create a higher vacuum in the cylinder and less force pushing on the rings.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,301
Good KLR, but I know not why.....

My 08 was bought from one of the first sold in FL in 07. Put 33,000 + in the 18 mths of ownership. It was not an oil burner, except above 5k rpm on very long cross country trips. Even then it never used more than the larger range of miles 250+ between refills. Meaning I could still safely keep riding if I wished, w/o adding oil. But I alway kept the oil level in the window.
Break in was just about what ''elsalvadorklr'' posted. Changed oil & sometimes filter at 3k. Sometimes used Rotilla T6.

Don't know why my 08 was so good to me.......I was not so good to it. I rode it hard w/ 14 tooth everywhere after 10k miles. Knobbies became the tires of choice.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Beat for me is to find a good stretch of road with little or no traffic,go to 3/4 throttle accelerating and than decelerating using engine compression through the gears.Do this about 15-30 times, changes oil.Maybe(?) take it easy for the next 100-200 mi,change oil again and than change oil again at 500mi
This is how I did my truck with a 460,15k mi later pulling a 10k trailer and runs strong as never