ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Thanks for that it seems like a pretty good approach.

I stopped using MQ years ago, but I'll go back and see how good its coverage is here in Mexico.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
It really isn't Garmin's fault that you chose to use a zumo 450 which doesn't support Track navigation. You also aren't using the same maps that Google is using so you have no "road" to Route on hence the need to Direct Route from Marker (waypoint) to Marker. Did you try using the latest CNNA in BaseCamp instead of the Topo map you show you are using? The route you have mapped between Mt. Baldy road and Lytle Creek is available on the latest CNNA (Barrett-Stoddard to Big Tree Cucamonga).

Blame can be placed on Garmin for not fixing the KML/KMZ Import translator. When this is fixed you will be able to save your Google Map route to your My Places and then save that path to KML format on your computer. When BaseCamp gets the KML Import working you would simply Import the KML path as a TRACK into BaseCamp. There you can edit the track so that it will work on your zumo 450 as a Direct Route or convert it to a Route is you're using CNNA.

Today, since the KML Import isn't working, I use GPSBabel to convert the KML on my Mac to a GPX file. Then I import and do whatever I need to do in BaseCamp.

Hope that reduces your workflow a bit.

Cheers,
Dan,
What map are you using here? I really want this terrain view in Basecamp. Would also love to have it on my Montana but can't find a mapset that is terrain view and not topo with the contour lines.

thanks!
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #18
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
I must be missing something. It seems like the ~$75 you would have to pay Garmin to buy City Navigator and then use it in BaseCamp or Mapsource would be well worth the money given the difficulty and frustrations people are encountering trying to get this job done in Google Maps.

I have been using it for years. I have given up trying to navigate off-pavement with routes. I convert the routes to tracks and use those for navigation.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #19
Mr_McBride
'The Cartographer'

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I must be missing something. It seems like the ~$75 you would have to pay Garmin to buy City Navigator and then use it in BaseCamp or Mapsource would be well worth the money given the difficulty and frustrations people are encountering trying to get this job done in Google Maps.

I have been using it for years. I have given up trying to navigate off-pavement with routes. I convert the routes to tracks and use those for navigation.
I couldn't agree more. There is a market for a better solution.

I use my gps mainly for two functions. 1) I wander around in Google Maps or MapQuest looking for interesting roads, which eventually leads into stitching a route together. I have not been able to do this in Basecamp. It has been my experience that once you zoom in enough to see the roads less travelled you loose the bigger picture of where the roads lead to. Having to zoom in and out to just too tedious for me. I'm able to do this with GM & MQ with minimal zooming. This is my main reason for using MQ as the starting point for building routes. 2) I'm not always following a route. After I have explored an area I will use Basecamp to view where I went. This provides me with a reference as to which roads I enjoyed in that area. I make note of these for future reference. That plus sometimes a planned group ride changes enroute and this also allows me to create an accurate ride report of where we really went that day.

Of course, this is just my way of using my gps. I would like to hear what process other inmates use. I like to teach others what I know, but I also like to learn from others....I'm always looking for ways to improve.

2012 G-Strom
Mr_McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
guavadude
de-composer

+1
That's pretty much how I use them as well. I have CNNA but the terrain view in google maps is perfect for quickly being able to see where the good roads are. Unfortunately GM doesn't show which roads are dirt or gravel, so I'll use satellite or Birdseye view and actually look down the road.
You can't do that in basecamp.

It's not hard to move routes between the apps and the gps, it's just not a one click process and it seems it should be.

Also Mapquest has an OSM terrain view map but you can't import it to BC or the Montana which doesn't make sense since you can import and use other OSM maps. Garmin wants you to buy their maps but only offer a topo view and no way to turn off contour lines which isn't a terrain view.

It just seems like google and mapquest maps are light years beyond garmin when it comes to exploring and finding new areas and roads.
I'm not sure why garmin offers such crappy maps. Seems like they've been doing this long enough they should all be the same.

guavadude screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 10:52 AM
Old 12-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
guavadude
de-composer

I talked to Drytbk Dan and the map pic above is the Western Topo map with contour lines turned off.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #22
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
I guess I spoke a little too soon about CN. Actually in addition to CN I also use Topo 100k, Topo24k, and Benchmark, GTR, and BLM paper maps to plan serious off-pavement trips.

BaseCamp is much better than Mapsource in not having to zoom in and out so much.

The Benchmark maps are just about perfect for getting the big picture, seeing terrain, and still being able to see virtually every road no matter how small. And these maps show a bigger variety of road types than digital maps. It is pretty easy to look at a Benchmark map and then draw the route in BaseCamp or Mapsource especially in the winter time.

I use BLM maps to determine land ownership in questionable areas.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
I haven't read the responses, but you can go from google maps to a track in basecamp.

Create the route in google maps, but make sure your logged in to your account. Create an account if you don't have one.

Then save it my maps(bottom left).

Go to my places and select the map you just saved.

Select the KML option, and save to you desktop or wherever.

Open in google earth and then save track as a KMZ file.

You can now import that KMZ file into basecamp as a track.

Thank you, this worked perfectly for me. Frustration level decreasing
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #24
hobieorris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Simpler solution

I created a Firefox plugin called "Route Rat" that saves your Google Maps route to your Garmin in 1 click. Go to your Firefox Add-on Manager (Tools -> Add-ons) and search for it.

Home page is here: http://clients.teksavvy.com/~hobie/routerat
Old 05-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
Travman
SDF

Oddometer: 421
I've been using Mapquest with a Garmin 765t for years. Just plot out the route as normal, connect your Garmin to the PC, and select send to GPS as a route. Yes a plug in is needed and you'll be prompted if its not installed. On the Garmin, go to you Data, and select the route and import it. The route you created will now be in you custom routes. If you use enough waypoints, it will be exactly what was created on Mapquest.

Now to be honest, Google maps is much more user friendly than Mapquest. So I normally quicly plot out the route on Google then duplicate on Mapquest for the import.

BTW - been using the Nuvi 765t for the last 4 years on 3 different bikes without issue. It even becomes fully waterproof by slipping a ziplock sandwitch bag over it. . However, it is having some Bluetooth issues lately so as good as it has been, looking for a replacement.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone

Travman screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 03:12 PM
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #26
Mr_McBride
'The Cartographer'

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travman View Post
I've been using Mapquest with a Garmin 765t for years. Just plot out the route as normal, connect your Garmin to the PC, and select send to GPS as a route. Yes a plug in is needed and you'll be prompted if its not installed. On the Garmin, go to you Data, and select the route and import it. The route you created will now be in you custom routes. If you use enough waypoints, it will be exactly what was created on Mapquest.

Now to be honest, Google maps is much more user friendly than Mapquest. So I normally quicly plot out the route on Google then duplicate on Mapquest for the import.

BTW - been using the Nuvi 765t for the last 4 years on 3 different bikes without issue. It even becomes fully waterproof by slipping a ziplock sandwitch bag over it. . However, it is having some Bluetooth issues lately so as good as it has been, looking for a replacement.
I, too, used MapQuest for a long time. However, I got really ticked off with the 'new' Mapquest as they didn't port any of my maps over. I lost a crap load of routes from their site ( I have copies of the gpx files, though ). I've opened a couple of issues with them, but they have never gotten back to me ( months ). I gave up and I'm using BaseCamp now. I'm not completely happy with BC, but I have learned enough so far to get by.

2012 G-Strom
Mr_McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Thank you, this worked perfectly for me. Frustration level decreasing
Did you get it figured out? I can give you a step by step that WILL WORK perfect in 2 minutes if you still need it. Only took me about 3 years to figure it out....
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #28
guavadude
de-composer

you can now import .kmls created in Google Maps directly into Basecamp to create a track.

Long version here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861155
Old 06-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #29
DonVulpes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I'd like to simply be able to add POIs to the Zumo 660 I'm going to be using, direct from Google Maps.

I have asked for suggestions of places to visit when I tour Europe in summer and it would be great if I could just add these points in Favourites, to recall as I'm getting near, then let the GPS nav to it.

Can't even suss out putting POIs on to the damned thing :(
Old 06-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post

+1

I don't understand why so many people think Garmin is doing something wrong with their business plan.

What I see wrong is that Google is not selling a GPS that is compatible with all they maping software which is the poor business plan.

The answer of course is that in America, you make orders of magnitude more profit selling advertising (GIANT Google) than you do selling hardware (Tiny Garmin).