Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
Ceri JC OP
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Gringo in Cancun

Hi All,

I'm going to Cancun in late January on a family holiday. At most, I'll be able to get one full day away from the family to go riding/exploring on my own.
  • I wonder if people could offer any tips on:
  • Where I should hire a bike (large capacity dirt bikes/big trailies would probably be my preference)
  • I would want to be able to hire at least helmet and gloves from the hire place too, enduro boots too would be even better;
  • Things specific to the area that might catch a foreigner out (I've ridden a lot in Europe and North America, but have never ridden mid/south america. I'm talking how to avoid heat from the police, any unusual conventions at gas stations, etc.
  • Specific things to check out and routes to ride.
  • Anything else that you think I should know.

Ideally, I'd like do a bit of gentle offroading; I'm reasonably competent in the dirt, but as I'll be riding alone and likely not ATGATT, in a foreign country, with no cell/Spot would prefer not to be pushing the limits of what I am comfortable. Also, the political ramifications of ruining the in-laws' holiday by spending it in hospital would be frowned upon.

Cheers,

Ceri

PS I speak next to no Spanish, although I can grasp some of the basics, if that makes any difference to the above.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
Rent a bike in Cancun via google,(they'll have helmets)buy gas anywhere @ Pemex ,Spanish is good but not required,dirt roads are usually walking trails in the jungle or actual roads. I suggest you ride out to some of the Mayan ruins, or up the coast a bit as you are taking only a day aside from family. You could also ferry over to Cozumel from Playa del Carmen & rent a scoot for the day & circle the island just to catch some air & scenery. I think I've seen some dirt bike tour people below Cancun but will be a very "canned affair" vs. just getting out by yourself. If you've never been there before, rent the bike & ride over to Valadolid, a small colonial city, tourist friendly,nice zocolo,(visit Chichen Itza while over there) but a nice "real Mexico" sort of place compared to where you'll start out in lala land.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Hi All,
At most, I'll be able to get one full day away from the family to go riding/exploring on my own.
If you don't get the bike situated the day before and turn in it the day after, you're screwed.

You will need a full day in every sense of the word or your frustration level will be through the roof. By the time shops open/close/you do the paperwork - you've eaten most of the day right there.

Ergo, in addition to developing a plan in advance, which is good, be thinking about how to make the day work for you, and that will mean not doing any rental admin the day of the ride.

Suerte
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
With a one-day timeframe, I suggest doing something different.
There's really not any so-called offroading trails there.
It's bush jungle with some dirt roads and paved roads.
Take a spanglish lesson, hire a hooker, do parasailing, go diving, or just catch a buzz.
Sounds like you are in a rush to maximize your time. Bad idea for a real vacation.
Don't wear a watch...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

LR nailed it for the area. For a tourist trap thats actually fun. buy an online tics to save money, for the whole crew for Xelha, go splash in the water all day(fun place to snorkel,esp. for kids and timid swimmers) while saving time for unlimited drinks-Mexican beer & margaritas no limit- then save some room for the HUGE buffet included. You can ride the bus down from most hotels. better to have some fun than waste "that day".
Hire a hooker? I'm too old, but always looked like a great place to score some freebies to me. I suggest going fishing if you have the $$$ & want to get away from your traveling group.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Who in their right mind would rent enduro boots, let alone in Cancun? For the amount of actual ridi g you would do, rent a scooter and cruise around. It is not an off- roading Mecca in Mexico.
You are in the wrong place for that, convince them to go to Baja instead!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
I spent New Year in Cancun once.Just watching the antics of the drunken tourists/teenagers was good for a couple days of entertainement. Then I GTF out of there and found some of the better destinations.

Go fishing!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Go to Isla Mujeres and rent a golf cart.
But not for golfing.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

As is typical in threads like this, the OP apparently has evaporated, while the erudite cognoscenti flip ideas to him like pancakes at a fair.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
As is typical in threads like this, the OP apparently has evaporated, while the erudite cognoscenti flip ideas to him like pancakes at a fair.
as I've been called a "cognoscenti", what the hell am I?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
as I've been called a "cognoscenti", what the hell am I?
You are something that smells like a "cogno"!

What do I win??????
And don't be cheap, Christmas is coming!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Now I'm getting pissed but I'm too old to do anything about it...
Old 12-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
[*]Things specific to the area that might catch a foreigner out (I've ridden a lot in Europe and North America, but have never ridden mid/south america. I'm talking how to avoid heat from the police, any unusual conventions at gas stations, etc.
Topes are speed bumps. You'll see them at the start and finish of every town and often at other random times. Just when you realize that you can hit them at speed, you'll come across one of the size of a mountain and you won't notice until it's too late

The phantom lane is the unwritten lane that appears to allow 3 (or more) vehicles to ride abreast on a two lane road. Trucks will often ride on the shoulder and let you pass - just be aware of the car passing the bus passing the truck coming the other way.

When you see a vehicle with a left blinker it can mean a variety of things... I'm turning left. It's safe for you to pass. it's not safe for you to pass but you can still go for it if you want to. I'm turning right. I turned left a while ago but forgot to turn my blinker off. I'm turning left sometime in the next 10 kilometers. My brake lights don't work so I'll leave my hazard lights on but the right light is broken. I'm about to pull over to the right lane to make a left turn. Watch out for the huge pothole/rock/tree/cow in the road ahead.

An sign with an "E" in the middle with a line through it means no parking.

Don't ride at night. Not because of banditos but because the cows/potholes/rocks/donkeys/cars-without-headlights/oil-slicks are hard enough to see in the day light.

Lastly, ENJOY! It's a wonderful place to ride and if you go there with a big smile you will surely meet some amazing people.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benny View Post
Topes are speed bumps. You'll see them at the start and finish of every town and often at other random times. Just when you realize that you can hit them at speed, you'll come across one of the size of a mountain and you won't notice until it's too late

Lastly, ENJOY! It's a wonderful place to ride and if you go there with a big smile you will surely meet some amazing people.
Got a question for you....or anyone??? Do they still use old railroad tracks buried in asphalt to build them topes? Holy cripes them were hard to hit when the asphalt ramp had disintegrated. Long time ago but by the time you'd see the steel .....too late!