Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Dia Tres

Dia Tres

Guerrero Negro To Abreojos Via San Ignacio

These guys (Rodrigo y Gabriela) use Yamaha guitars. Never thought about it, but could this be the same Yamaha as the one that makes bikes?

Up early, breakfast at the new Pemex (doesn’t show up on Google maps yet).

IMGP1771 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Mike and I shared a Bimbo.

IMGP1772 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

100_1069 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Todays destination is Abreojos (eyes open, or lookout - has to do with hazardous rocks out in the ocean).

IMGP1775 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Had my new Montana 600 mounted to a Lynx fairing (Britannia Composites Ltd)

IMGP1776 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1777 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Brad suffered a rear flat tire along the way, this will be the only flat of the trip. Tube seemed to have some abrasions on it. Put in new tube and off we go again. The only other mechanical problem was with Lee’s Drz400. It kept flooding out, seemed to have a sticky or leaky needle valve. If he didn’t shut off the petcock when we stopped he would flood out.

Made a little side trip to San Ignacio and breakfast at Rice and Beans. The Bimbo was starting to wear off at this point.

IMGP1779 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1780 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

A few parts from the Baja 1000.

IMGP1781 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1783 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

The road into San Ignacio. This was starting to get good. But alas, this would be our furthest point south.

IMGP1785 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1787 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1788 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1791 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1792 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Left San Ignacio and headed out for the coast and Abraojos.

IMGP1793 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Here is the scene of the flat. Didn’t take too long to change. Brad did the whole thing dry. I mean with no soap, water, lube etc. I struggle changing tires, this looked easy.

IMGP1793 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1794 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr
Ever feel like you were being watched??

IMGP1797 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

On our way again. Baja has its good areas, and some areas are just kind of ‘flat’! But still interesting and the solitude and vastness of it all keeps it interesting. Still glad I had music to listen too while I rode (SMH10)!

IMGP1800 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

[/FONT]
When we get to town we get directions to the hotel (I think there are 2 in this town). Unmarked building that looks like two story house.

IMGP1801 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1803 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1804 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1802 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Nobody camps here. Mike and I share a room,. Room is about $10. If you stay here keep in mind they don’t have a key for room 4. They lost it (maybe years ago) but nobody locks their doors here. Kind of like the USA 40 years ago. We are only tourists in this sleepy fishing town. Oh, the hotel office sells beer and its only about 20 feet away!

IMGP1805 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

I go with Brad to get his old tube patched so that he will have a spare.

IMGP1808 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1809 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1810 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

We walk around and locate the local grocery store (think small 7-11) and Juanita’s restaurant. Only restaurant we could find. Not open now but we will return for dinner. Abreojos must have been given some money by the Ministry of Tourism for trash cans. Nice sea creature themed trash cans along the beach. We did notice that this town had no litter and that they must have had trash service. All the houses had 55 gallon drums with trash sitting out by the road. They probably pick it up, go a few miles downwind from the town and dump it in the desert????

IMGP1811 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1812 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

The trash cans seemed somewhat out of place here.

IMGP1814 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1815 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

We gather up and head down to Juanita’s for dinner. Its only 5:30 and they are not open yet. Knock on the door and some red-eyed dude says they open at 7:00 and to come back. We don’t want to wait so walk down the road and Mike see’s a domino game going on. He goes over and does his PR thing (he like to wave his arms while he speaks spainglish). We find out there is another restaurant and set off down the road. Stop at another house where they are having a BBQ and they say to keep going, its past the baseball stadium. Its a long ways and we keep walking. Finally find a beer store past the baseball stadium and the lady says there is no restaurant around here.

IMG_0941 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1817 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1818 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

We were crushed, thank goodness they had beer for the boys, and guava juice for me. We head back to town (walking) and go past the BBQ party again. Told them we couldn’t find the restaurant and they said it was attached to the back of the beer store! Cripes, the lady didn’t know their was a place to eat 10 feet away! Well, they offer us some tacos, and they were great.

IMGP1820 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Didn’t eat much because we were headed back to Juanita’s for lobster. Once we get our strength back we head back to Juanita’s, my feet were hurting now, and a woman walks out and says they aren’t open tonight. WTF, the guy said to come back. Hungry and tired we head for the grocery store (large closet). Got a bag of chips and a mango juice. Dinner is served.

IMGP1825 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

And yes, segregation still exists in Mexico. I was not allowed to throw my Guava and Mango juice cans in with the beer cans. I was reprimanded.

IMGP1827 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

As the beer cans pile up the discussion turns back to Burt’s SPOT and if it will be found. The number of beers directly (almost logarithmically) affects the volume of the conversation as well as the logic involved. By the time its done there are 10:1 odds that it will not be found. Lee is into it for $400! This is going to be fun. Day after tomorrow we go SPOT hunting.

Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X

chabon screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 05:01 PM
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote