Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #46
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I guess you've never ridden a Yamaha R6 or Honda CBR600RR.

Or just about any other modern sport bike. Also, even when the bike does try and stand back up a bit, it's nothing a little bit of counter steering can't correct.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #47
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crash View Post
That's the kinda math the US government uses. 100% is 100%. I think you simply mean that current tech tires allow us to carry greater speed through better utilization of available traction.

Boy, that sounded all smarter than I intended.
No, nothing to do with the government math. I simply mean that the traction circle you are referring to is not a circle. You may have reached the 100% limit in sideways traction but you still may have traction available for braking. Years ago the traction circle was like you described - a zero sum game. Any traction used for turning was not available for braking. The truth is not that simple anymore.

The real world traction "circle" looks like this.

A better explanation can be found here:

http://www.sportrider.com/riding_tip...s/viewall.html

and here:

http://docmc.net/index.asp?catid=6&id=92
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #48
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Read the sportbike one--love them guys. Oddly I cannot find the 110% issue there. I do see that traction is now better parceled and qualified but I don't see where you can exceed one hundred percent of available traction...I guess you could use 100% of lateral traction and then use up to 100% of longitudinal traction...but is that really 200% then?

(And I kinda dig the "traction heart")
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #49
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
In addition, for items blocking the road, debris, fluids, etc. you may have to do just that. Why this is lost on people boggles my mind.

Barry
He says he does it every day.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #50
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
He says he does it every day.
So, I agree with you the frequency implies he's over-cooking turns way too often. The point is, people are arguing there is not a need to be able to 1) stand the bike up and STOP or 2) stand the bike up, brake HARD, then lean the bike and continue on.

My point, which some are arguing, is you would never need to do that, or (and I don't know how this got in the discussion) if you stop while leaned the bike will fall over.

But I agree with your assessment, having to make such a massive correction regularly implies you are cooking turns a lot.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #51
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:

But I agree with your assessment, having to make such a massive correction regularly implies you are cooking turns a lot.

Barry
Actually, having the ability to make such a correction and get away with it time after time, implies the corner was not overcooked - or at least only in relation to the comfort level of the rider to lean the bike. Furthermore, needing to make mid-corner corrections to avoid debris, potholes, etc., implies not looking far enough ahead (something we all do from time-to-time but if you're doing it frequently, you need to go back and rethink your technique and competence)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #52
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
So, I agree with you the frequency implies he's over-cooking turns way too often. The point is, people are arguing there is not a need to be able to 1) stand the bike up and STOP or 2) stand the bike up, brake HARD, then lean the bike and continue on.

My point, which some are arguing, is you would never need to do that, or (and I don't know how this got in the discussion) if you stop while leaned the bike will fall over.

Barry
Tell me when you have tons of run off to be able to stand the bike up to brake?

As for braking when turning, everyday I have to go down a hill on a curve, Everyday, I turn, and brake when I am still turning, because there is no other option. If I stand the bike up, I will go slamming into trees.

As for the bike falling over when braking to a stop, really? You would keep the bike leaned over right before you stop?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 AM   #53
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,226
I'm done. People are not following what was said by others, and then commented on by additional folks.

Part of the problem is this medium, and part of the problem is we have people who do not understand how to ride using this medium. Double whammy.

Carry on with the swirl.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #54
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
I'm done. People are not following what was said by others, and then commented on by additional folks.

Part of the problem is this medium, and part of the problem is we have people who do not understand how to ride using this medium. Double whammy.

Carry on with the swirl.

Barry
The only real question I had was when will you be able to stand the bike up when you are not in a parking?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #55
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
The only real question I had was when will you be able to stand the bike up when you are not in a parking?
Being able to stand the bike up and stop is important. You come around a corner and there's a crashed car or a log across the road.

Just as important is the ability to trail brake through a corner.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote