Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
metrakit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Cant get engine in lc4

Hi.

Kinda new in here, but today I have bought a new bike. Its a 1998 KTM 625 frame, with a 2004 KTM 640 engine,forks and plastic.

I bought it in pieces, so I have something to do in the winter period.. (I live in Norway,un-isolated garage, at -25c.. nice life)

The thing is, this is my garage-weekend, and after getting done with my RS250, i wanted to get the LC4 engine in the KTM frame...

I could not get it in. No chance. It got hydralic clutch,the engine is grey, and it says "motorex" on it (just to give a clue on what engine it is) It also got a balance-shaft.
- The frame is a 1998 with a filter in the bottom.
The frame, and standard engine it was delivered with was with a balance-shaft. Thats what the workshop manuel says anyhow. And I thought this would work, because both had balance-shafts, and both have filters in the botom, and both are LC4.

Is there a special how-to get the Lc4 engine in? Up-side down, no cylinder mounted, cut the frame up, and weld it together? Jeez. Im tired. haha.

Please help?
metrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
What is your 98 frame? 620 sc? sx didnt have the spin on filter on the frame. 625 not made in 98. no matter....

I remember the engine only going in from one side and not the other, maybe the left.

It will be tight but it should work. Use the kickstart lever as a handle as you jiggle it in or get some help as the motor is what, 80 pounds (36 kilos)? Obviously easier if the head is removed.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
its easyer to put the engine on the side and lift the frame around it on your bench.
It should fit if it had the balancer! Just a very tight fit that will only go in some certain way :)
Old 12-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
metrakit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
What is your 98 frame? 620 sc? sx didnt have the spin on filter on the frame. 625 not made in 98. no matter....

I remember the engine only going in from one side and not the other, maybe the left.

It will be tight but it should work. Use the kickstart lever as a handle as you jiggle it in or get some help as the motor is what, 80 pounds (36 kilos)? Obviously easier if the head is removed.
Oh, im sorry, I could have said that im from europe - Norway.

I got papers from the frame, and its a KTM 625, date stamped, 21.04 1998. KTM 4T-EGS. VBKGSL400WM is frame nr.
Dont know anything, due the papers are in german, and I dont know a sh*t german ;p

Any ideas? Gonna try again soon :)

Take the head off is too much work for my part.. Dont have the time - Gotta drink tonight! :) haha
Old 12-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,351
dont know if this will help but here is my engine removal post...LINK

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
metrakit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
dont know if this will help but here is my engine removal post...LINK

laramie
Haha, ive seen it, 4times now. We got the engine out 12 weeks ago, after a couple of beers.. One thing is getting it out, another thing is getting it in..

But anyhow, thank you for linking it anyway! Nice tutorial..
Old 12-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
metrakit OP
Adventurer

Solved

Thanks guys. this was really not that hard. I was in the garage for 10h last night, so maybe i got too tired, and too stupid. Got the engine vertical in, and then turned.. Problemo solved.

Now, I just feel stupid! haha.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrakit View Post
Thanks guys. this was really not that hard. I was in the garage for 10h last night, so maybe i got too tired, and too stupid. Got the engine vertical in, and then turned.. Problemo solved.

Now, I just feel stupid! haha.
Nope... some engines are just a real pain to weasel back into place.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Too much cold weather and too much beer could throw any body off..........just glad you got it installed and another 640 will come back to life!!

Cheers