User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Ride Away OP
Sarissa lover

Oddometer: 43
Greece to Turkey-Iran

Good evening m8s. I've started layin' down maps of Turkey and Iran in order to make a good trip this summer. I've never been eastern than Greece and I could really use all the information I can find.

So, If you think you know a place to definately pass by, please say so. I'm planing to travel from my home in Thessaloniki to Istanbul - Samsun - Trapzon, places with history that is being lost in centuries, and Dogubayazit for Iran. As as it consern Iran...I know nothing!

Looking forward for tips - maps - photos- links -...
Suzuki GSF 1250S Bandit '08

http://www.history-of-macedonia.com/
Ride Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
BMWDoug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Turkey

You absolutely can't go wrong by following the coast down from Istanbul, around the corner to Adana, and then up through Parmaluke, etc, to eventually catch the GT road to Iran. Along the way, check out Nemrut Dagi (a world-class ruin).
BMWDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Ride Away OP
Sarissa lover

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDoug
catch the GT road to Iran.
can you be more specific? I can't find any grand road leading to Iran.
Suzuki GSF 1250S Bandit '08

http://www.history-of-macedonia.com/
Ride Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
gunpowder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Hi mate,

Still looking for information?
or already on the way????
Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
savaskayan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Away
Good evening m8s. I've started layin' down maps of Turkey and Iran in order to make a good trip this summer. I've never been eastern than Greece and I could really use all the information I can find.

So, If you think you know a place to definately pass by, please say so. I'm planing to travel from my home in Thessaloniki to Istanbul - Samsun - Trapzon, places with history that is being lost in centuries, and Dogubayazit for Iran. As as it consern Iran...I know nothing!

good plan,but you must see South Turkey in back.May be Antalya,Kaş,Kalkan,Patara,Dalyan,Pamukkale,Efes.

savaskayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
hido
so far so good

Oddometer: 11
Don't worry about Turkey and Iran, because people are very friendly especially for the bikers. my lots of friends visited around east turkey and iran and they are very pleased. You're route is OK. after the istanbul, west and east black sea coast roads created for motorcycling :) after the iran, turn back to south coast (mardin-urfa-gaziantep-adana-antalya-mugla etc) maybe finish your trip in kusadasi/cesme and turn back to greece with ferry.
hido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
dr.vedat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
a few links for your trip planing.
http://rideturkey.com/blogs/darkface...arkface01.aspx

http://rideturkey.com/blogs/fazerman...azerman01.aspx

http://rideturkey.com/blogs/cexx/arc...0/cexx007.aspx

http://rideturkey.com/blogs/cexx/arc...9/cexx002.aspx
Old 12-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
peacerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Iran?

I have flown over Turkey the mountians there look so inviting,but with a USA passport can I gain entry into Iran?
peacerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
spiritsofadventure
Never EVER give up

Oddometer: 1
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Away

Dear Ride Away

My wife and I have over 60000 k experience of over landing in both Turkey and Iran and we will be delighted to help you in anyway possible. We can advise you of must places to see and places to avoid especially in Iran. We visited every corner over of Iran and stayed for four months so I we have seen almost everything there is to see in Iran.

Cross from Greece, visit Istanbul and stay in Sultanhamet and then head west again to the Aegean coast the ride south to visit Troy, Ephesus and continue around the coast to Olympus visiting Fethiye for the 12 island tour and Dalyan for the rock tombs and from Olympus head North to Cappodocia and then east for the Pamulkale, Nemrut Dagi and Isac Pasa Sari Palace which is near the border of Iran. Make sure you have your visa sorted before leaving Istanbul. Make sure you also let your embassy know you coming to Iran and ask them for the latest security advice etc also visit the embassy when you get there and let them know what your route is etc, any other country I would say go and be a free spirit but Iran is certainly different so seek advice from your consulate and the travel warnings from your embassy etc. Tehran is madness on a motorbike just like Istanbul but once you leave there are some incredible places to visit like shiraz and esfehan. There are some incredible places were people still live in caves or live underground and if I would strongly suggest to avoid the region where the nuclear power plants are situated as the area is heavily protected by soldiers, checkpoints etc and they DONT like strangers, so avoid the south west corner. There are plenty of places in the deserts where the hospitality is amazing, they will invite you to say and eat with them all the time. The lonely Planet says the NORMAL Iranians (like you and me) are one the friendliest people in the world which we couldn’t argue against but it’s the politics and religion that’s so different so extreme so be aware and understand their culture. I believe Turkey has a lot more to offer than Iran in terms of history and sites but that said places like ESFEHAN and SHIRAZ are so beautiful and so unique it will leave you breathless.

Do not miss NEMRUT DAGI, ISAC PASA SARI , CAPPODICIA or EPHESUS in Turkey, Do not miss SHIRAZ, ESFEHAN and YAZD in IRAN.

Its a great ride excting countries and many people would love to meet you especially in eastern turkey and Iran. The secret of great travel is confidence, a big smile and a firm handshake just make sure as far as Iran is concerned that you register with your embassy and at all times keep them aware of your plans and route etc. In middle Iran and in the south they carry guns, machine guns, hand guns - it’s their culture but it can be very intimidating.

Kavir Desert - South West Iran ( Dangerous Region)

North East Iran

Yazd - Iran

Nemrut Dagi - East Turkey

Capadocia - Middle Turkey

Monika and Simon
BMW ENDURANCE ENDURO GUINNESS CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD 2010

spiritsofadventure screwed with this post 12-28-2009 at 03:04 AM
spiritsofadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacerider
I have flown over Turkey the mountians there look so inviting,but with a USA passport can I gain entry into Iran?
Yes, in theory. But Iran will only issue a visa to a USA citizen/ passport holder if you enter Iran with a pre-approved group on a pre-approved itinerary with an authorized Iranian travel agent/ guide--or are willing to absorb the full costs of such an itinerary & guide yourself.
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote