Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #1216
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Wow, we are really jumping to conclusions here, don't you think?!

I'd bet that Mark will speak up when he's ready, or available......he could simply be on a ride or enjoying the company of his family rather than staring at a computer screen like us........
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #1217
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
BigDog... Gone?

Wow... I really liked his posts too. I don't own a Husky, but I do own a WR250r. I really like how he outfitted his bikes. I was looking forward to seeing his development of his new bike.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #1218
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Bigdog come back!

I'm glad I saw his kickstand mod before he left. I'm hoping he will understand the vast majority of us enjoy and appreciate his contributions.

On an other matter...KEYS....does the Terra use Husky or BMW blanks....? Anyone know? I'd like to get some spare keys made - I like to keep a backup in my wallet. Evidently, Husqvarna doesn't readily provide blanks....
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #1219
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
He wrote me & was upset him with my comment about his hybrid skid plate and jabbing at him. I apologized to him.

In his PM to me he said he was "outta here" which i figured he referring to him being upset with my comment. Didn't realize he was outta here with all his TR info and especially deleting it on his website.

Either others have messed with him too or something else is going on.
My comment alone can't be the cause of all of that?
A guy on one of the CRF250L threads copied his work to make waste basket stiffening liners for ortlieb soft luggage(I think)...and gave no credit. There are a couple of other flamers that visit over there with nasty attitudes as well.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #1220
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Terra and CRF250l flamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
A guy on one of the CRF250L threads copied his work to make waste basket stiffening liners for ortlieb soft luggage(I think)...and gave no credit. There are a couple of other flamers that visit over there with nasty attitudes as well.
I've noticed a lot of flamers in these 2 threads as well. It seems to be a load of crap to me... Oh it's a pig and the suspension sucks, get a used this or that... Totally juvenile. I don't own either of these bikes, but I like these models, and more importantly the OWNERS seem to be very positive about these new bikes. No, these bikes are not orange and they are not trying to compete with the orange machines. And by no means am I bashing Orange, great bikes with a different perspective and mission.

My WR250r is decried as a pig as well... if I want to reduce weight, I should focus on my fat ass before I sink a dime into lightening my bike, it would benefit me and my riding.... If I lost 40lbs, my suspension would work better and the power increase would exceed a pipe and programer, not to mention the health benefits for me. (Cheaper too)

I like the new nc700x too... that bike gets bashed as well. But guess what owners are loving them too, more importantly they are selling, just like the Terra and CRF. Not only are they selling, they are getting very positive reviews! All 3 represent a segment in the market that was largely ignored, affordable, multi-use, practical yet passionate bikes that want to be ridden everyday...

My WRr falls into that category as well (though a bit pricey new), I put 7000+ on my first season on this bike! More than the last 3 seasons combined on my old xr650l, why? Because the thing just works... No fuss, no muss, just hit the button and go. I can go where ever I want, whenever I want (well wife and kid dependent) The fact of the matter is that I focus on riding more than the bike now, it is a liberating experience.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #1221
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
Pics?

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
I've noticed a lot of flamers in these 2 threads as well. It seems to be a load of crap to me... Oh it's a pig and the suspension sucks, get a used this or that... Totally juvenile. I don't own either of these bikes, but I like these models, and more importantly the OWNERS seem to be very positive about these new bikes. No, these bikes are not orange and they are not trying to compete with the orange machines. And by no means am I bashing Orange, great bikes with a different perspective and mission.

My WR250r is decried as a pig as well... if I want to reduce weight, I should focus on my fat ass before I sink a dime into lightening my bike, it would benefit me and my riding.... If I lost 40lbs, my suspension would work better and the power increase would exceed a pipe and programer, not to mention the health benefits for me. (Cheaper too)

I like the new nc700x too... that bike gets bashed as well. But guess what owners are loving them too, more importantly they are selling, just like the Terra and CRF. Not only are they selling, they are getting very positive reviews! All 3 represent a segment in the market that was largely ignored, affordable, multi-use, practical yet passionate bikes that want to be ridden everyday...

My WRr falls into that category as well (though a bit pricey new), I put 7000+ on my first season on this bike! More than the last 3 seasons combined on my old xr650l, why? Because the thing just works... No fuss, no muss, just hit the button and go. I can go where ever I want, whenever I want (well wife and kid dependent) The fact of the matter is that I focus on riding more than the bike now, it is a liberating experience.
Well said.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #1222
Pepe11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
I've noticed a lot of flamers in these 2 threads as well. It seems to be a load of crap to me... Oh it's a pig and the suspension sucks, get a used this or that... Totally juvenile. I don't own either of these bikes, but I like these models, and more importantly the OWNERS seem to be very positive about these new bikes. No, these bikes are not orange and they are not trying to compete with the orange machines. And by no means am I bashing Orange, great bikes with a different perspective and mission...
+2 Thanks for posting.
Pepe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #1223
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
I don't think eakins purposely tried to offend anyone, it's just that these forums have a tendency for all of us to forget there is another person behind a keyboard somewhere. I'm not sure about being thin skinned but maybe more " what's the friggin point?".

It's all about contribution. Good reminder for me to work on my comments to others.

Lets hope BigDog returns - his input on the Terra I found to be very helpful. Off the soapbox...

modeselector screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 11:29 AM
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #1224
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
He wrote me & was upset him with my comment about his hybrid skid plate and jabbing at him. I apologized to him.

In his PM to me he said he was "outta here" which i figured he referring to him being upset with my comment. Didn't realize he was outta here with all his TR info and especially deleting it on his website.

Either others have messed with him too or something else is going on.
My comment alone can't be the cause of all of that?

Wow, that's too bad... He must have really thin skin to behave like that over a little jabbing here and there. I mean it's not like he's some wizard or something. He's just another motorcycle enthusiast with a shop and some fab skills to go along with his creative impulses.

I enjoyed his various contributions over the years, though. I read his CBR report and promptly went out and bought a WRR for myself. I modded it to my tastes and then rode the CDR. What a blast! Then I left it in Phoenix and rode some of his GWT path. I even scouted some new sections. So I guess I owe a lot of my recent motorcycle explorations to Mark's contributions on this forum.

Well, you can't worry about inmates taking unusual offense to a few jabs or challenges. If you set yourself up as some sort of authority figure, a few people are going to take their shots. It's part of the fun. He did a real good job of assessing the new Husky, though.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #1225
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
I don't think eakins purposely tried to offend anyone, it's just that these forums have a tendency for all of us to forget there is another person behind a keyboard somewhere. I'm not sure about being thin skinned but maybe more " what's the friggin point?".

It's all about contribution. Good reminder for me to work on my comments to others.

Lets hope BigDog returns - his input on the Terra I found to be very helpful. Off the soapbox...
no Mark and I have traded PMs in the past and sent each other goods (maps from me & dvd from him) we make. I've got nothing but solid respect for the man & his accomplishments. I've had my share of off-the-cuff responses to others that are not in agreement or worded the best, but nobody is perfect.

He's publicly stated he does things more cheaply in solution and so I thought it humorous that he bought that small & expensive Motosportz skid plate plus hacked apart that pricey Husky plate too and created a $400 skid plate solution. This from a guy proud of his other low cost solutions.

I figure he would have taken Motosportz plate to a welder to and add some side wings and send that Husky plate back for credit. It sounds like he got some mad scientist urge in the middle of the night and just started cutting up that Husky plate...and that's why I asked if he was an impatient man. It was not meant as any disrespect and something I would have said face to face with a big smile...but alas words only miss all the non-verbal that needs to happen.

I've gotten PMs from others that they've had similar exchanges with Mark.

It's a public forum and there are always opposite views of your own. Mark is very out spoken on his mods and view points and he has contributed a ton to ADV. It sounds like he finally got to the feed up point of getting feedback (that is not always in agreement) and said fuck it i'm done taking my time and sharing my mods only to be criticized by some.

I do hope he does return and atleast keep the thread updated how his TR is doing.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 01:50 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #1226
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
This is called a discussion board where people discuss the merits and warts of motorcycles.

In this forum in this post we discuss the Husky Terra 650.

People have opinions and they want to let their opinions be known.

If you want to only discuss the merits of the Husky 650 Terra then I suggest that you create your own forum board with the stated purpose of only discussing the merits of the Husky 650 Terra.

At some point there will be no discussion as everyone will be holding hands and singing Kumbya.

Dissenting opinions are a good thing.

Discussion is a good thing.

Endlessly regurgitating the sales brochure in the name of discussion is boring.

Quote:

guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #1227
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
If you set yourself up as some sort of authority figure, a few people are going to take their shots. It's part of the fun.
yes, this happens all the time on ADV for those who write up guides/my mods etc.

there is always someone not liking it all (and vocal about saying so), some indifferent, some liking those ideas and some who flat out copy what you've done.

it's a public & impersonal forum and that's how people work.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #1228
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Terra / Strada Aux Tank - maybe?

All you Terra/Strada owners~wondering if either one of these has the potential to add extra range on the bike. I don't own one to physically stare it down.

What do you think?

Hot Rod Welding's X Tank - obviously requires the 2 into 1 exhaust conversion. Adds 1.72 gallons:

ADV Tank - restricts some tail luggage options. Adds 1.6 gallons:

modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #1229
MGJohnE
n00b

Oddometer: 5
keys

On an other matter...KEYS....does the Terra use Husky or BMW blanks....? Anyone know? I'd like to get some spare keys made - I like to keep a backup in my wallet. Evidently, Husqvarna doesn't readily provide blanks....[/QUOTE]

BMW key blanks should work. I had 3 keys made at a local locksmith.

Too bad Big Dog left. I used his posts to fix my kickstand and install a booster plug.

MGJohnE screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 04:01 PM
MGJohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #1230
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Stalling / Lean Running / Stumbling Resolved - no Booster Plug

I had one of the first Strada's to arrive here in the US, picked it up October 26th. It ran like crap. Stalled with just throttle input, hesitated below 4k with any sort of roll on. A huge disappointment.

The good news is it's all better now. Dealer took a while to get their diagnostic computer in and running, but finally were able to get it working and fix my bike. They were a bit vague, but apparently running resetting the EFI system and running a test sequence on the idle actuator? made it run a lot better. I put 75 miles on it on the way home and it's dramatically better. No stalls, not stutter, stumble, does not feel lean. I ran it down to 2k rpm in 5th, then just rolled on from there. If careful I can now just ease the clutch out at idle in 1st and get rolling without any throttle.

I was planning on the booster plug solution when I got the bike back, but there's no need. It's just fine bone stock after the reprogramming.

I highly recommend folks get their dealer involved if there bike isn't running right. See http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/mos...-awesome.29435