ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Afry OP
Why hike?

Oddometer: 564
12/29 SD Backcountry Holiday DS Ride

Saturday 12/29 9AM at Packard's Ramona - kickstands up by 9:15. Here is a chance to try out the new stuff you hopefully will be getting for Xmas or Hanukkah or whatever.

Easy to medium ride suitable for all bikes with 50/50 tires and 85 miles fuel range - suitable for riders with little to some experience. The ride down Culp/Jasper/Grapevine and the beginning of Mason Valley TT has a little sand but just enough to test you not kill you. No tough hill climbs or descents on these trails but you will get a taste of the desert. Should be back in Ramona by 2 depending on stops.

We will be stopping along Rodriquez Trail for a lunch stop so pack a sandwich and a drink. If you have comm's bring em - frequency 146.505

Start: Packard's in Ramona, Black Canyon (dirt) to Mesa Grande (paved) to 78 to 76 to San Felipe Rd to S22 (Ranchita) to Culp/Jasper/Grapevine Trails (dirt)to 78 (paved) to Great Southern Overland Stage Route (paved) to Mason Valley TT (dirt) to Rodriquez TT (dirt) to Banner 78 (paved) to Ramona. 100+ mile loop (about 85 between fuel stops - fuel in Julian).

Weather permitting - it's off if it has been raining because Grapevine and Mason Valley TT are wash's and will not be big bike (or maybe no bike) friendly at that point.

Will be posting tracks on Dualsportmaps.com and can send a gps file if you PM me.

I will be on the 950se - leisure liner

Yamaha TDR250

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Afry OP
Why hike?

Looks like so far we have a few local riders up for this, should be a fun ride - here is the route on Dualsportmaps.com:

http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=107347

Yamaha TDR250

Old 12-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
Spank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
Looks like so far we have a few local riders up for this, should be a fun ride - here is the route on Dualsportmaps.com:

http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=107347

My SPOT
Spank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
bp_josh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Hey Arnie I think I'll make this. My in-laws are driving in from Salt Lake that day, so maybe I'll turn this into a weekend trip and stay away from the house

You know Mason Valley is locked right? Rodriguez, across from the Banner store, is open, but the gate to Mason Valley off Hwy 79 is locked. I was there last night and checked. Unless you know a way around.....

edit: nevermind, just checked the dualsports map and you're hitting Rodriguez, not Mason Valley. Man, I wish they'd open Mason Valley - a way to jump from hwy 79 straight down to S2 by Butterfield would be awesome. That Rodriguez is a great road by the way, drove it in a truck yesterday. The sign says it's closed for fire recovery, but there's no sign of fire damage anywhere around there. I think it's just one of those things that got lost in a haze of laziness and bureaucracy and now it'll never re-open because no one cares enough to fix it. Gov't workers...
Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Afry OP
Why hike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_josh View Post
Man, I wish they'd open Mason Valley - a way to jump from hwy 79 straight down to S2 by Butterfield would be awesome. The sign says it's closed for fire recovery, but there's no sign of fire damage anywhere around there. I think it's just one of those things that got lost in a haze of laziness and bureaucracy and now it'll never re-open because no one cares enough to fix it. Gov't workers...
I heard they bought the property and don't have the funds to improve/maintain the area up top near 79 - not sure how reliable that info is. It also joins with the PCT for a bit up top and I know that's a no go to ride on.

Yamaha TDR250

Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Afry OP
Why hike?

Weather looks good to go! Chance of showers late in day but we will be done by then. Dress warm, 40's - mid 50's and maybe misty at higher elevations.

Yamaha TDR250

Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
laxredeye
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Got room for one more. Im trying to decide if I should ride my 800gs or truck my drz 400 up.
laxredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Afry OP
Why hike?

For this I would ride the 800, nothing technical just good trails, I'm leaving the Husky home.

Yamaha TDR250

Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Bummed I missed this one. Did the weather cooperate??
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillr View Post
Don't know about the SD bunch, but us OC guys got soaked from San Marcos home. Then sunshine in Laguna.
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Afry OP
Why hike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillr View Post
It was dry all day and when we went into Cheers/Ramona for a brew but as we left....it was a different story!

Yamaha TDR250