Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #31
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD800
Mate im... was exactly the same way, and i know where he's coming from its just sometimes theres a cheaper more suitable option somewhere else, has nothing to do with jumping on the KTM bandwagon they just happen to make a more suitable bike out of the box that has little to no problems.
As I say to my six year son,... 'your NOT listening, your just talking'.

Let the man have his fun...If you want to help, GREAT. If you don't, spare us the 'You have to buy a KTM bullshit'.

Cheers.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:04 AM   #32
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
I never said have to, i just said take one for a test ride because it fit better... I guess what i was trying to get at was ride one, look for reasons to but it whatever it is, not just reasons not to buy something that isn't red.

But anyway i'd like to see it happen, reagrdless of what id do.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #33
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
I dual sported a Honda CRF 450 R. What a mistake. The biggest problem is the close ratio transmission. Don't bother calling Baja Des. they don't make them anymore since the 450x came out. They told me to get one of those they have a wide ratio transmission. And before you check no you cannot put a X trany in a R already went down that route. If somebody came out with a wide ratio gear set for the R think of all the bikes out there that would be back on the road. I put a trailtech battery back up on and the lights, gps and everything worked great. Just that transmission sucked.

Seriously you should ride a x before you buy. They are very different from the R just so you know.

You can do it, only takes money.

Bob599 screwed with this post 07-12-2010 at 06:42 AM
Bob599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #34
tomtom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Looking forward watching this project progress.
I've owned a '06 450x for the last 2 years and it's really been an awesome machine soo far.
Engine is bone stock and after a few dozen hours of trail riding it was converted to a street legal sumo. Several thousand miles of backroad/highway riding and half a dozen hard trackdays and she's still running like new. Just watch the oil and valves and you'll be good.
The X already has a wide ratio tranny soo don't worry about that.
If you're planning on being in traffic, consider a fan kit or making your own.
tomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #35
smacka
Tripper head

Oddometer: 43
just my take

I dual sported a 2006 CRF450X for two years and 12,000km

in 2008 I switched to a KTM530 and I'm still riding it

As has already been stressed, the Honda's biggest achilles heel is its 5 speed gearbox. First is always too high and top gear always has the motor over-worked at a reasonable open road cruising speed. I love how you can snick the 530 into 6th at 60 mph and she just idles along. Performance wise I'd rate them neck and neck up to 60mph whereupon the orange bike would hit top gear and just purr away into the distance. The Honda's wishbone frame does has its advantages, but there are just as many downsides access wise. I do agree that the Honda does wear a little better over time ie the metals used in its construction aren't as subject to corrosion.

Can't understand the comments regardng the KTM's weird handling . i've always found the handling very good and I don't feel any need to run a steering damper. Oh and Garthe, this is not a 'You have to buy a KTM bullshit' response. I'm just passing on my related first-hand experience/observations .
smacka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 AM   #36
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
KTM Bullshit

Its not KTM bull shit. KTM just sets up their race bikes as dual sports. Not only do they come with better stators, lights, but you can get things like bigger tanks, and fan kits from the factory. Shit even HID lights from the the factory. And the all elusive DOT plate. They and the other European manf. have really gone after this market and our Japanese friends have ignored it. They build moto bikes only. You can dual sport it but its harder. So for many its easier with a better product for what they are doing. Not saying its better just not the same.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #37
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob599
And the all elusive DOT plate. They and the other European manf. have really gone after this market and our Japanese friends have ignored it. They build moto bikes only. You can dual sport it but its harder.
That's the case here in Commiefornia. For all practical purposes you can not plate a dirt bike here.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #38
RallyMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
How's the project coming along?
RallyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #39
JoelSchmenge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Hey rmhrc628

In the vernacular of some ad agency speak JUST DO IT!!! I myself can't wait as I also want to mod my XR650L like your 600. Nice bit of work there mate.

I just purchased a '09 450X for C-H-E-A-P and this thing with some minor uncorking and fiddling is a dream. In no way is it comparable to the venerable "L" as both are designed and destined for different duties. As long as people keep that in mind then they will be alright.

As to your wanting to do the "X" I say do it man... and quickly as I need more insperation.

Cheers,
Dave Morgan
a.k.a. Joel Schmenge
Old 12-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #40
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,640
Sorry guys...a typo in my last post ref ride report with crf

I've changed it and it is the same as this...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576833

:)
Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #41
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
I think you already have the bike

Take that sweet ass XR and put on some rally style saddle tanks and fairing. Then put some bags on it. You would be golden. The XR has the steel frame to take the abuse of a heavily laiden journey. And the simplicity and reliability of a air/oil cooled motor.Those high strung race motors are not made for it. Plus the weak aluminium frames. See if you can put a 640 ADV tank on that bitch. I have my tank off at the moment if want me to take some measurements. I always dreamed of a XR motor in a KTM 640 ADV. You would have the best then. Until then a 640 ADV IMO is the best and most capable real DS out there. So what if you have to rebuild your motor every 30-50k miles or so. Its worth it!!
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #42
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,640
Agreed ...sweet moto.... I had an XR400 a few years back...great all round moto and the motor really pulled well when under load....and simple.

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #43
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
As I say to my six year son,... 'your NOT listening, your just talking'.

Let the man have his fun...If you want to help, GREAT. If you don't, spare us the 'You have to buy a KTM bullshit'.

Cheers.
No shit leave us Honda guys the F alone.

Honda's rule gab dangit..