Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #76
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Gimme a yell when you put 150K on one Victory.
Got 92,000 on mine, and know many with FAR more then that. The Victory's are dead reliable.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #77
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,968
Polaris may have a reliable design with the Victory, as do most Japanese bikes. Sadly they have decided to take the Japanese route of planned obsolescence, and the need to buy a new bike every few years, rather than supplying replacement parts. My favorite Victory was the original V92C. It had a great look, and only needed a few minor mechanical refinements. Then they turned and went down the wrong road completely when they hired the Ness clan and came out with the Vegas, one of the ugliest and most impractical bikes I've ever seen, dropped the V92C, and based all their bikes on the Vegas. A V92C shows up on Craigslist once in a while, but I would not consider buying one, because Victory no longer makes parts for them, and unlike that "other" American v-twin, they have no aftermarket. If they did, you could buy aftermarket levers and fenders and most everything else for them at a fraction of oem cost. You can go out right now, buy yourself a Harley, new, used, or vintage, and have no doubts that plenty of parts will be available for it for the rest of your life.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #78
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post
Got 92,000 on mine, and know many with FAR more then that. The Victory's are dead reliable.
You're not paying attention. I never said the bikes weren't reliable. He initially said he had 150 between five bikes. An average 30K is no big deal. I'm sure there are Royal Enfields out there with that kind of mileage. Bet someone here chimes in with a high mileage Bullet.

And then there's the...........ermmmm............uhm...........styling.

I did say they were quirky and clarified that statement earlier.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #79
mammal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
The name has brand recognition, a valuable commodity. Not a problem, but slap it on something worthwhile.

Matchless? How many times has Norton risen from the grave only to be put asunder, again.
Well, now you've done it! Apparently someone heard you and thought it'd be a great idea..
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne..._/R-EPI-138838

"The family behind the rebirth of the Belstaff fashion label has bought the rights to the Matchless motorcycle brand with plans for a return to limited retro motorcycle production."
mammal is offline   Reply With Quote