User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #76
Stonewall
The Wild

Oddometer: 1,810
Wicked Hanging Out Taking Notes

Looking to do the same trip about the same time.

For "THE BEST COOLER MADE FOR MOTORCYLCE RIDING" Look Here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252781

http://stonewall.smugmug.com/

3rd Annual WMRS Ride III in Bishop, CA Ride Report 07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254807

4th Annual WMRS Ride IV Ride Report 08
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369576
Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #77
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
Do you think it's safe?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #78
rnrdozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Polar bear cooler

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I just ordered 2 polar bear coolers on amazon. I had to order one for my riding partner so he doesnt drink all of my beer!!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #79
Stonewall
The Wild

Oddometer: 1,810
Thumb No Worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrdozer View Post
Thanks for the tip! I just ordered 2 polar bear coolers on amazon. I had to order one for my riding partner so he doesnt drink all of my beer!!
Glad to help. I actually sell them, but since having my second open heart surgery last year, I'm more focused on fun.

For "THE BEST COOLER MADE FOR MOTORCYLCE RIDING" Look Here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252781

http://stonewall.smugmug.com/

3rd Annual WMRS Ride III in Bishop, CA Ride Report 07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254807

4th Annual WMRS Ride IV Ride Report 08
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369576
Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #80
rnrdozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Glad to help. I actually sell them, but since having my second open heart surgery last year, I'm more focused on fun.
Whoops! sorry, I would have bought them from you if I had known! I followed your link to your other thread and didnt really read past the first post. We brought some coolers last year to Baja but they were the cheapo ones from walmart, they did the job but leaked water pretty bad. They sell cans of beer in 8 packs, and some of the remote places we were they sold for 35 peso's! that abot 37 cents per beer!
Glad to see your taking time for fun, not enough people do. We will be down in baja mid January for two weeks trying our best to have fun!!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #81
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Quote:

Holy shite! You doin' okay?

Well, let me answer my own question....your talking to us and going to Baja....

You and/or Magilla gonna make WARPED??
Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #82
anycoloryoulike
¡Me Vale Verga!

Oddometer: 5
good luck on your trip! dont forget to visit mulege, punta abreojos santa rosaliita they are just great places to visit, nice little towns where everyone is kind with you and usually find some great food, nice place to camp as well

im planning to do tijuana-cabo on late january, im doing almost all on-road and just off the pavement when going to cool places to stay the night and visit. Just started riding 6 months ago, already had my 1st fall with bloody injuries so i guess i can now call myself a motorist LOL

dont forget to take lots of pics!! i wanna buy a gopro camera for the trip.... also seriously thinking of making a single wheel trailer to pull instead of carrying load onto my small 125cc
anycoloryoulike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #83
tallpaul63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
A few tips from my thread might help

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847903

I rode San Felipe, Puertocitos, Alfonsinas, Coco's Corner, on to Highway 1 without too much stress over sand; so you may be fine doing this. This was December 2012, and very doable for a new to dirt rider on a big loaded bike...with caution. I think it was a gorgeous route. Clearly, conditions can change seasonally or after a big storm, so get the recent intel.

Good luck!
tallpaul63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #84
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,265
AAA Baja map

I didn't read all the pages of this thread, but I didn't see the AAA Baja map recommended. For the type of riding you described, it will cover just about everything you have in mind including many of the easy (and occasionally not so easy) dirt roads.

If you don't do the Sea of Cortez side on your way down, do it on the way back. Gonzaga Bay may be my favorite place. I'd stay the night there and watch the sunrise. It will be easier to find on your way down. Ride east from Tecate down the grade to Mexicali and then south to San Felipe. Mexicali is a bit on the hectic side but the route is well signed. Head south from San Felipe and the road is now paved almost (maybe the whole way by now???) the whole way to Gonzaga. There is some soft sand but 2wd cars make it all the time if the washes are graded. South from there to Coco's Corner (a must stop in Baja) and then out to the highway by Laguna Chapala. South of Coco's is rocky but at a relaxed pace should be no problem. Definitely ride the dry lakebed at Laguna Chapala for a little power sliding.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #85
offtheback
Chocolate Starfish

Oddometer: 336
Gonzaga had the best shrimp and the road is paved to about 9 miles from it. The AAA map was worthless IMO, National geographic has a better one, one for north and one for south.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
2005 KTM 950 Adventure'96 Tiger (Sold) '06 KTM XC well farkeled(sold) '03 Yamaha WR250F (sold)
offtheback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #86
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Have both....good to know. Also have the (out of print) Baja Almanac....which is probably pretty outdated by now. Just gonna roll with the punches...play out all our hunches.....try to make the best of whatever comes our way.....
Old 12-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #87
offtheback
Chocolate Starfish

Oddometer: 336
The baja almanac is still available.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
2005 KTM 950 Adventure'96 Tiger (Sold) '06 KTM XC well farkeled(sold) '03 Yamaha WR250F (sold)
offtheback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #88
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Baja

Heading down middle of Jan for ten days, 2-up with my wife on my GS. I have ridden many times on my GS, HP2, XR 650, KTN 525 and KTM 690. If you do not have experience in deep sand, get some so it doesn't bite you, otherwise you can get a fully loaded GS on any of the two-track routes to all the good spots - San Francisquito is still one of the few untouched spots, a beautiful ride from the south end of BOLA, about 80 miles. Broke my shoulder last winter, so I had to cancel my annual trip, so I don't know if Juan and maria are still running the place or if it is still standing. Check in for me and if Howard is around, buy him a beer. for me. 5 star accommodations I have always been able to get gas at SF, it is about 80 miles to Gurrreo Negro from FS to the Pemex in town gas or 110 to Vizciano. One the return, if you are taking Hwy 1, you can go around the Sur/ Norte check point 9 it is hit or miss, but sometimes they will nail you fro an FMT. I have a Mexican green card, bu tI still go around the check. After the second Pemex in town heading westerly, you will see a canal, take the dirt road on the east side, it is the airport road, and it will dog leg n/e out to Hwy 1 north of the check. I have a mostly paved itinerary if you are looking fo ra easy loop from Tecate to Loreto, just PM me you email addy. My wife adn i have done Copper Canyon a few times solo, including Batopilas - never had any problems, but I have been traveling south for 45 years. Be smart and always look over your shoulder before you pull out to pass - see Crashmaster's No Fumar..... it is easy to forget on lonely stretches of Hwy 1. I ran a car off the road once in my truck because I didn't look to see if I was being passed too - cured me and now Vinny has the cure.

Have a great trip and if you go to San Fran, stop at San Rafel, a beautiful beach about 20? miles N. from San Fran and say howdy to Poncho. He always has tequilla and fruit for me, maybe because he digs my spanish speaking blonde wife and I always make my fellow riders throw in tequila $. On the way out of San Fran there is an Eco lodge visible from the road, I think it is still a working ranch too and they have bailed me out more than once. A good place to stop, have a beer and pay your respects.
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #89
anycoloryoulike
¡Me Vale Verga!

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post
Heading down middle of Jan for ten days, 2-up with my wife on my GS. I have ridden many times on my GS, HP2, XR 650, KTN 525 and KTM 690. If you do not have experience in deep sand, get some so it doesn't bite you, otherwise you can get a fully loaded GS on any of the two-track routes to all the good spots - San Francisquito is still one of the few untouched spots, a beautiful ride from the south end of BOLA, about 80 miles. Broke my shoulder last winter, so I had to cancel my annual trip, so I don't know if Juan and maria are still running the place or if it is still standing. Check in for me and if Howard is around, buy him a beer. for me. 5 star accommodations I have always been able to get gas at SF, it is about 80 miles to Gurrreo Negro from FS to the Pemex in town gas or 110 to Vizciano. One the return, if you are taking Hwy 1, you can go around the Sur/ Norte check point 9 it is hit or miss, but sometimes they will nail you fro an FMT. I have a Mexican green card, bu tI still go around the check. After the second Pemex in town heading westerly, you will see a canal, take the dirt road on the east side, it is the airport road, and it will dog leg n/e out to Hwy 1 north of the check. I have a mostly paved itinerary if you are looking fo ra easy loop from Tecate to Loreto, just PM me you email addy. My wife adn i have done Copper Canyon a few times solo, including Batopilas - never had any problems, but I have been traveling south for 45 years. Be smart and always look over your shoulder before you pull out to pass - see Crashmaster's No Fumar..... it is easy to forget on lonely stretches of Hwy 1. I ran a car off the road once in my truck because I didn't look to see if I was being passed too - cured me and now Vinny has the cure.

Have a great trip and if you go to San Fran, stop at San Rafel, a beautiful beach about 20? miles N. from San Fran and say howdy to Poncho. He always has tequilla and fruit for me, maybe because he digs my spanish speaking blonde wife and I always make my fellow riders throw in tequila $. On the way out of San Fran there is an Eco lodge visible from the road, I think it is still a working ranch too and they have bailed me out more than once. A good place to stop, have a beer and pay your respects.
very helpful, thank you!
anycoloryoulike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #90
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
Have both....good to know. Also have the (out of print) Baja Almanac....which is probably pretty outdated by now. Just gonna roll with the punches...play out all our hunches.....try to make the best of whatever comes our way.....
The new Baja Almanac is far superior to the old out of print one. Larger pages, more detail, updated info.
muddyrabbit is online now   Reply With Quote