User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #16
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
PR , more

Yes!, no to a bike or scoot(they are infact crazy at the wheel). The trash along the roads reminds me of some of my eastern KY-you will see one place covered with trash (and it is all along the roads plus washing machines and much much more!!!) and the next will be pristine clean. The Carribean islands are not as nice for diving as many other places- where I went the coral was all broken to pieces and trash on the beach,etc.. The people are great and it is fun to explore the whole place. I would never go back there on my own dollar, there are many other places that exceed it as far as water,jungle,mtns,food,scenery,costs and so on ...
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #17
anatinae
As Bad As Can

Oddometer: 292
Heading to PR in early March. Thanks for the info fellow inmates
Anyone with more should/shouldn't do please pipe in. I'm always look'n to go/see what the "typical" tourist misses (eg. food etc.)
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #18
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,981
Heading to PR/San Juan this Sunday for a week, thanks for the useful info. Anyone with more recent info on sights to see/do, places to eat, places to avoid, rent a car, etc please post up.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #19
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
[QUOTE=anatinae;6137535]Heading to PR in early March. Thanks for the info fellow inmates
Anyone with more should/shouldn't do please pipe in. I'm always look'n to go/see what the "typical" tourist misses (eg. food etc.)

When you get out of the cities it will be peaceful & roads not crowded. Find a roadside bar/cafe/etc. where locals gather & only then will you get the rural flavor of the island. Because of the strong USA/PR connections there is always someone around that's bilingual & that has family or personally been in USA & likes to talk about both places. There are some interesting craft people there. Being a hands on guy myself, e.g., I'm a life long woodworker I went to the old town craft coop in SJ,PR & got some names then proceeded to "find" some of these craftsmen. This took me to mtn tops, you name it & had a great time- fairly stated it is not anywhere near as good a trip as Mexico is for me as I alluded to above. Nice place to visit, not a favorite place, by any means for me! Food, well it seems about the same everywhere there to me, but cheaper in the countryside of course. I hope you like beans & chicken. A rural fruit stand will get you some good bananas of many types.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #20
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
One of the neatest places I found was on the island of Vieques(sp?) off the East end of PR, there was a really cool "Bio Bay" loaded with little tiny organisms that lite up like fire flies when excited and cause the water to glow as you swim or paddle a canoe. Was one of the neatest experiences I've ever had in water and highly recommended.

I'd like to bring a bike into PR one day, lots of exploring to do with some quality time.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:39 AM   #21
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

made it, did old san juan yesterday, surprisingly not too much of a tourist trap. At dinner time we ran in to a PR local tourguide on his walk back home, pointed us to an off the beaten path more local eatery, had tasty mofongo, trifongo and PR "rot roast" for two and a juice all for a whopping $20 with tip, nothing special, just good home food. Off to explore El Yunque today.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
whamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Bump . . . .

Planning a trip there in december.

Still a no on bike rentals I'm guessing?

Tons of good info in this thread already. I am just curious if people have more recent info as it has been 6+ years since the thread was started.

I'm heading down there with my brother an we are both late 20's and seeking adventure.
whamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Well if you can rent a bike riding the streets of San Juan probably won't be too bad, riding the small roads in the hills will def will be an adventure, be safe and assume cars will be in your lane as you round a blind curve.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
whamp
Adventurer

I ride chicago everyday so I have experience with the city insanity. Those blind country turns will get ya tho!

Anyhighlights from your trip?

sent from my S4 on Tapatalk 4
Old 07-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

My wife and I liked the easy short DYI hike to this cave http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cueva_Ventana. We parked on the grass (free) along the highway about 20yrds back from the gas station, supposedly they charge to hike up but we did not see anyone collecting $ so did not pay and walked on up the trail along the chainlink fence.

Also really liked this place, it's worth the small guide fee, http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/cueva-del-indio/. There is a really nice empty beach with tidal pools right next to the caves (just east of the rocks and houses, ask the guide) so you might plan a day of it and chill on the beach there and swim, or at least if I was with a lady that's what I would do.

Was cool to check out the forts at Old San Juan and dug the spanish colonial feel of Ponce, plus good RUM there.

Wish we had orgnaized ahead of time the night time bioluminescence kayak tour, but the moons were not the best for it during out vist anyway.

Also, on those country roads assume if not a car in your lane there will be 2-3 dogs layed out sunning themselves.

Check out trip advisor for other ideas/reviews.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #26
whamp
Adventurer

Hahahaha. I can say I have never had to dodge a dog sun tanning before. Adivce noted. Perhaps I'll stick with a jeep rental or something.

Thanks for the adivce on the caves. I'm heading there with my brother so no lady friend, unless I stumble across one there. Still fun to hike around and explore though. My coworkers were raving about "biobay" and that's gonna be high on my list. It reminds me of the scene in "The Beach" minus the shark attack the next day.

Anyway thanks again for the guidance!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #27
TuortoAM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I think I'm going in early 2014 as well, went looking for rentals and nothing. In 2008, it looks like eagle rider was there, but they are gone now... Anyone have suggestions?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
TuortoAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #28
YMRacing
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Planning to head for Ponces in Jan 2014. Would like to have a dual sport to ride. Any info on rentals, or adv ppl that would accomodate?
YMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:05 AM   #29
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,886
I'm also thinking about PR. I would like to visit my Aunt there.
I found an old reference to Ducati de Puerto Rico renting Multistradias in the past. I've sent an inquiry by email.
jaydee1445 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #30
SquirrelyGrl
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 893
I'm still waiting for someone to post a pic or something!

The B/f & I are looking into heading down to PR later in the year or even next January/February.

Was thinking of staying at Horizon View, if anyone knows the place.