Oddometer: 294
Very Cool!
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #32
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,893
1200+ miles in 2 days...good for ya! I avoid night riding mostly in the country for the reason you mentioned...deer. I can't believe that the hotels in Reno are 21+. You're sleeping, not gambling. WTF?

Thanks for posting the ride, it looked fun. Be proud of that old Trumpet, it takes you where you want to go and shows it's miles proudly...fine looking bike imho.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,092
the old men parked next to me have forgotten what an adventure is

Hey! I resemble that remark! My first BMW was a 1997 R1100RT exactly like the one parked next to your Triumph, but mine was the color of your bike. When I pulled into the driveway on it for the first time my wife asked, very seriously, will I ever see you again? I put over 65,000 miles on that RT without it ever once letting me down, travelled from coast to coast and from Mexico to northern Canada on it, and a million points in between. Then, I bought a GS... Not as good for weather/wind protection, but it will go literally anywhere and I was missing riding dirt roads on the RT (it SUCKED on gravel roads!). After a few years I decided the RT wasn't getting ridden enough to make it worth owning it, so it got sold and the new owner is still racking up the old-man-unadventurous miles on it.

Hey cool you stopped at the Reno air show! I've got a son who's a pilot, has been interested in airplanes since he was a tiny baby (his first word was literally "airplane"), and his first love of flying is aerobatics. He's flown to the Reno airshow and goes to Oshkosh every year. When we lived in Wyoming we went annually to the Aviat Aircraft fly-in in Afton (just south of Jackson Hole) to drool on the Pitts and Husky airplanes they build there. He's the lead flight instructor at the University where he got his degree and teaches other people to love aerobatics as well as "boring straight and level" flying. I hear you about the cost of tickets - there is NOTHING about flying that's cheap.

Have you ever been to the aircraft museum in McMinnville, Oregon? That's a cool place - Howard Hughes's "Spruce Goose" is there along with a zillion other airplanes. I have a cousin who owns a grape ranch just a couple miles from the museum so I've visited on a few boring old man non-adventures out to see him.

I was out in the Seattle area (Everett) once upon a time, on a planned two week solo adventure, and after ten days of being alone I decided that was enough so I headed the RT east for my home in Lander, Wyoming. I made it from Seattle to Gardiner, Montana in one push before I had to stop - couldn't imagine riding through Yellowstone at night after an ~800 mile day, even though I was under 250 miles from home. I hear you, all those critters on the roads make for a bit too much excitement, especially when you're mesmerized and exhausted. I am more comfy with night riding now that I've got about a zillion watts of lights hanging from the GS. I highly recommend auxiliary lighting if you can afford it, it is WONDERFUL for added conspicuity for cars and is very comforting if you're caught out at night.

Excellent report, glad you made it home OK, and I hope you're already planning the next adventure! Next time, secondary roads and some DIRT!! WOOOOT!

Doug
Old 09-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #34
Me_Rock OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
the old men parked next to me have forgotten what an adventure is

Hey! I resemble that remark! My first BMW was a 1997 R1100RT exactly like the one parked next to your Triumph, but mine was the color of your bike. When I pulled into the driveway on it for the first time my wife asked, very seriously, will I ever see you again? I put over 65,000 miles on that RT without it ever once letting me down, travelled from coast to coast and from Mexico to northern Canada on it, and a million points in between. Then, I bought a GS... Not as good for weather/wind protection, but it will go literally anywhere and I was missing riding dirt roads on the RT (it SUCKED on gravel roads!). After a few years I decided the RT wasn't getting ridden enough to make it worth owning it, so it got sold and the new owner is still racking up the old-man-unadventurous miles on it.

Hey cool you stopped at the Reno air show! I've got a son who's a pilot, has been interested in airplanes since he was a tiny baby (his first word was literally "airplane"), and his first love of flying is aerobatics. He's flown to the Reno airshow and goes to Oshkosh every year. When we lived in Wyoming we went annually to the Aviat Aircraft fly-in in Afton (just south of Jackson Hole) to drool on the Pitts and Husky airplanes they build there. He's the lead flight instructor at the University where he got his degree and teaches other people to love aerobatics as well as "boring straight and level" flying. I hear you about the cost of tickets - there is NOTHING about flying that's cheap.

Have you ever been to the aircraft museum in McMinnville, Oregon? That's a cool place - Howard Hughes's "Spruce Goose" is there along with a zillion other airplanes. I have a cousin who owns a grape ranch just a couple miles from the museum so I've visited on a few boring old man non-adventures out to see him.

I was out in the Seattle area (Everett) once upon a time, on a planned two week solo adventure, and after ten days of being alone I decided that was enough so I headed the RT east for my home in Lander, Wyoming. I made it from Seattle to Gardiner, Montana in one push before I had to stop - couldn't imagine riding through Yellowstone at night after an ~800 mile day, even though I was under 250 miles from home. I hear you, all those critters on the roads make for a bit too much excitement, especially when you're mesmerized and exhausted. I am more comfy with night riding now that I've got about a zillion watts of lights hanging from the GS. I highly recommend auxiliary lighting if you can afford it, it is WONDERFUL for added conspicuity for cars and is very comforting if you're caught out at night.

Excellent report, glad you made it home OK, and I hope you're already planning the next adventure! Next time, secondary roads and some DIRT!! WOOOOT!

Doug
My resentment toward old men with their nice bikes is mostly because of the fact that I cannot currently afford a bike such as an RT. Perhaps in the future when I have money and a desire for all things comfortable, I will invest in a geezer glider. Honestly, a big cruiser is far preferable and more adventurous than a reclining chair permanently parked in front of a TV. I don't mean to knock on RTs specifically - GSs are old man bikes by my standards! Very few 20 year old riders are able to afford such a machine... I have less than $1500 in to my Triumph.

By my definition, an adventure must be both something I have never done before, but also have the potential for failure. In other words, my trip would have been much less of an adventure on a newer and less worn out machine, and more of an adventure if I were on an antiquated basket case. Regardless of machinery, my trip was still a huge adventure for me because I have never gone on such a big trip before.

I have indeed been to the air museum in McMinnville! There are some truly fascinating machines to behold in that place. I find it quite easy to spend multiple hours admiring the engineering accomplishments left behind by many aviators and engineers throughout flying history.

More rides are definitely in my future, hopefully not solo. Perhaps a lovely pillion or another riding friend would enjoy a nice vacation!
Me_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,092
My resentment toward old men with their nice bikes is mostly because of the fact that I cannot currently afford a bike such as an RT. Perhaps in the future when I have money and a desire for all things comfortable, I will invest in a geezer glider.

Geezer glider, ha! Damn kids...

Yeah, I hear you, bikes are expensive toys. But I love them and always have; I'm 55 next month and have been riding since I was five years old. When I was younger I raced anything I could get my hands on, MX, trials, flat track, enduro, but never road bikes because it was so ferking expensive to get into that aspect of it. I grew up in New Mexico so it was all about DIRT, DIRT, DIRT! I've owned about 44 bikes in my life and most of them were dirt bikes which tended to be on the ratty side of the scale, so I fully understand. I couldn't afford much in college either, but I did keep a few dirt bikes around. I got my degrees in geology and did the field work for my MS from the back of my Montesa Cota 247, a most amazing bike.

I have been an addict all my life and am inspired when I see young folks like yourself investing what you can in getting into the sport. I should mention, Sonny, that I didn't get my first Beemer until I was in my 40's because I was busily working on The American Dream (mortgage, kids, jobs, no time, bike-hating wife, etc.). When the kids were grown and on their own I was finally able to get the big road bike and DISAPPEAR on all manner of old-man non-adventures on my Geezer Gliders .

I hope you'll keep up your interest in long-distance touring, don't neglect your school work in favor of your BAD habits, and ride safely so that you can live to ride again, and again, and again... If you are ever out this way I'd be happy to ride with you!

Doug
Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #36
grizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Great report and write up.

Thanks for sharing.

Amazing how a 100 mile day can deliver as much pleasure as a 700 mile day, just differently.

***** 2006 Sachs MADASS 50cc *****

***** 19?? BSA Bantam D7 FREE Bike Resto *****

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #37
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 252
great stuff thanks for sharing
linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #38
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Great ride, spectacular scenery. As to your "700 mile face", wait till you are thirty or more years older and foto your 700 mile face, make a great comparo! Hopefully many, many rides to get there. Ride long ride safe.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #39
petie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Great ride report! Reminds me of my first motorcycling adventure when I got my licence. I was riding a clapped out honda cb250 and it bucketed down rain constantly for the first 2 days. But it was brilliant fun and kicked off my motorcycle addiction I look forward to more ride reports!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #40
GatorTiger
Go Gators - Ride Tigers!

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Rock View Post

Phantom of the Tiger Opera!!

Tigers rule!!!

See this: Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine !

GatorTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #41
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
awesome
Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #42
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Rock,

I have read this rr twice now, and enjoy it thoroughly. I have been on some the same roads.

I too have found the fun in traveling solo on quite a few trips. I also have a blast with a riding buddy who is like minded. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is...Slow down and smell the roses when you have the bit in your teeth to get somewhere..

Keep it coming!

Chers!
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #43
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 252
Great ride and report really enjoyed it.

linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #44
F800ekelley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Dont doubt yourself you could own a GS no problem i got mine when i was 28 i love the thing. Work hard and save. this was a awsome ride report its good to see younger people into this sport as well if ur ever in AZ go to the regional thread theres ALOT of good riding out here
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #45
Me_Rock OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Id-Jim View Post
Rock,

I have read this rr twice now, and enjoy it thoroughly. I have been on some the same roads.

I too have found the fun in traveling solo on quite a few trips. I also have a blast with a riding buddy who is like minded. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is...Slow down and smell the roses when you have the bit in your teeth to get somewhere..

Keep it coming!

Chers!
Thanks for the love, I'm glad you thought my ride report was worth a second read! Plans are in the making for another big trip this summer. I was thinking a possible two-week round trip to Hyder, AK. Or maybe a nice trip down Highway 101, and then who knows where.

Because of the positive response this one received, I'll be producing more ride reports once Spring hits. I've been riding back and forth to classes and work through the winter, so long as things stay thawed. I always feel bad on the icy mornings where I am forced to walk to school - I have to walk past my frozen Tigger, icicles and all. Cheney, WA can be a bit of a frozen tundra at times. Never in my life have I wanted winter to be over sooner!
Me_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote