Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #31
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKaw View Post
It sounds like the Omega's parallel circuit will at least bypass/moot the consequence of a bad idiot bulb circuit, and might even mask the symptom itself with higher output at lower rpm's (i.e., never triggering the light, even at idle, even with a good bulb circuit - I don't know, maybe Bill Harris can comment).
The Alternator Light bulb only comes into play when the engine is first started and provides the initial excitation of the rotor. Otherwise it's just along for the ride and sometimes provides fault diagnosis for the rotor and/or diode board. The bulb leads an easy life and rarely goes out (though I make it a point to carry a spare in the headlight shell). As an initial exciter, it's not even 100% necessary since the residual magnetism in the rotor could provide the intial excitation (but that's iffy). The Omega "parallel circuit" is simply a 330 ohm, 1/2W resistor placed in parallel with the Alternator light bulb. It's an old, old trick, been used for years. This way if the bulb expires there will still be excitation.

Nothing will prevent bad wires and bad connections. Nothing, of course, except the vigilance of the owner...

--Bill
Old 12-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #32
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,197
Omega 450 has shipped!!!!
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #33
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,986
We had one at the Spring Tech Day this last Spring in Maryland. Ken removed his instruments to send them off for repair but still had to ride the bike home. Seemed the distance was enough that he might make it or might not with out the battery charging. The alternator came on and he had charging all the way home.

Gotta love residual magnetism.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #34
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post

Gotta love residual magnetism.
Nice to know the road won't end if the light goes out.

Look what star spangled santa brought me this afternoon.

We'll see what I muck up tomorrow during install.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #35
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Now, where was I?

Tomorrow became today, but for the best of reasons. And the job is only part done.

I started the switch this evening. Directions that come with Omega 450 are great so gratuitous pics below are not a how to but more of a wtf. I'm not good at this, just learning.

This is the old regulator. There are some grounds running to the back fastener but new reg is plastic. I sanded paint from frame and added some dialectic grease.

Newly installed:

Cover off

Good time to make fun of me

This rotor popped off ez

5th gear and locked brake to remove the old.

Seal is sealed

Brushed off

Tomorrow's case:

Old 01-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #36
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #37
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Hmmmm?

I thought I was all wrapped up and ready to ride.

I'm not getting gen light when the bike is switched on. Headlamp does work, oil pressure glows but something is not right. I didd not attempt to start the bike, and am about to take it back apart but thought I'd troll for ideas.

"Final" wiring

Old 01-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #38
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Never mind - just a bit nervous here.

I started video camera before I switched ignition - didn't want to miss a youtube moment.

Went back to handy diagram which prompted still in 5th gear not neutral. It's lit now

Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #39
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Seems properly done!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #40
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Went out for an hour this afternoon, urban stuff. Charger is behaving well so I beleive the job's done proper. Big thanks to you guys for all of the help along the way.

Next on the list is steering head bearings and fork boots, wish me luck.

Couple more pics of the last few steps:

I wasted lots of time here. Had a cracked casing on one of the brushes, decided to replace it but smallest diameter heat shrink (pictured) caused the wire to bind prior to brush reaching full extension.

Opted to get some new brushes so spent as much in gas getting up to Norcross only to find 'new' stuff had no casing at all. This was pretty funny but not as funny as when I found the fresh (fully cased) brushes that shipped with Omega 450 buried under a layer of mess. F me! I guess that's what happens when you open your presents and don't install them for a few weeks.

I decided to go with originals as I'd spent the time 'fixing it' Anyone need a pair?

My soldering rivals my welding.

Rick suggests a biz card to assist keeping the brushes clear of rotor. Maybe it's Southern humidity but I had better luck with a snip of piss you off impossible to open without blood plastic packaging.

Thought I was about done here but needed to access the starter solenoid for red wire attachment (kept the original too as it was in reasonable condition.)

Yellow wire want for a spade but I clipped and used a ring. Zappy!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #41
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,938
very nice!!!
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote