User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
3-Day Ride to the Great Salt Lake, 2012

The last week of August 2012, I decided to ride a 3-day loop to the Great Salt Lake, and back to Idaho. Traveling south down the Arbon Valley, I stopped to stretch my legs in the pretty little town of Holbrook, Idaho.

Continuing farther south, I reached the Utah State line just beyond Stone, Idaho.

After refueling in Snowville, Utah, I left the pavement and headed off road to the north shore of the Great Salt Lake.

As I continued southward, I could see the mountains in the distance beyond the Great Salt Lake.

Reaching the junction with the road to Kelton, Utah, I headed west toward Golden Spike National Historic Site, and the Promontory Mountains.

I reached the salt flats at Locomotive Springs, and stopped to take a few photographs.

Continuing westward, the Promontory Mountains came into view.

The Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads met at Promontory Summit in 1869. The driving of the golden spike officially completed the Transcontinental Railroad.

After freshening up at the visitor’s center, I continued riding westward, closely following the route of the Central Pacific railbed.

Crossing a pass through the Promontory Mountains, I began to descend into the valley of the Great Salt Lake. The salt flats east of the Promontory Mountains came into view.

Reaching the bottom of the pass, I turned southward and rode along the east flank of the Promontory Mountains. After riding a while, I paused to look back northward, toward the ATK Thiokol Plant on the distant horizon. ATK Thiokol produced the solid rocket boosters for the U.S. Space Shuttle.

Here’s a photograph of the ATK Thiokol facilities I captured during a previous ride.

Looking westward, I saw the salt flats expanding toward the Wasatch Mountains north of Ogden.

Looking southward, I viewed the Promontory Mountains extending toward the north shore of the Great Salt Lake.

Continuing farther southward, the salt flats expanded, and the Wasatch Range drew nearer.

The early evening shadows began to lengthen as I approached Promontory Point, where the Promontory Mountains terminate at the north shore of the Great Salt Lake.

The sun began to set as I rode eastward alongside the solar evaporation ponds which were reflecting the Promontory Mountains.

As I rode eastward toward landfall, I noticed the Wasatch Range was also reflected in the water.

Reaching the east shore, I continued riding to Ogden, where I spent the night. The next day I would ride along Skyline Drive in the Wasatch Range.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,607
Great photos!!! Great ride report!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,129
Excellent photos. Looks like that could be a great area to ride.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 321
As always, Spud Rider, you write an interesting narrative and take beautiful pictures.

That area is beautiful, and full of deer. I am from Box Elder county (my father worked for Morton Thiokol during the Cold War, when they made "other things.") I was in Snowville just a year ago, to pick up a new dog. Brrrrr. I understand why you guys don't ride much in the winter time.

PD
Old 12-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
purpledrake
No Pretensions

BTW: Why plate-free on dirt roads?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post

I don't think he took it off. Looks like it fell off.

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnok View Post
I don't think he took it off. Looks like it fell off.
Riding down the east flank of the Promontory Mountains, I noticed my license plate had developed a crack, and was about to fall off. Therefore, I removed the plate and put it in my backpack. The next morning, I re-attached the license with several zip ties. I completed the trip with the jury rigged license plate, and installed a new license plate holder after I returned home.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 12-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
As always, Spud Rider, you write an interesting narrative and take beautiful pictures.

That area is beautiful, and full of deer. I am from Box Elder county (my father worked for Morton Thiokol during the Cold War, when they made "other things.") I was in Snowville just a year ago, to pick up a new dog. Brrrrr. I understand why you guys don't ride much in the winter time.

PD
Thank you, PD. Indeed, ATK Thiokol has manufactured many solid propellant rockets for the military, including the legendary, Minuteman ICBM missile.

Spud
Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,121
Cool stuff Spud!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Kelton Utah

Hey Spud

I didn't know where Kelton Utah was till I read this sign, then I had to go there. I just love the history of the west.

It is right by this sign.

Great report so far.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
N-Id-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Great stuff, Spud!

Cheers
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

The next morning I reattached my license plate to my bike and had breakfast in Ogden before I headed out to ride Skyline Drive. The previous year I had not been able to ascend Farmington Canyon because a landslide had closed the road. I figured the road would be open this year, but I was wrong. Therefore, I continued southward and ascended Skyline Drive at Bountiful. Enjoying the view all the way, I climbed to the highest point on Skyline Drive, and stopped to admire the view of Farmington, the Great Salt Lake, and Antelope Island.

Looking a little farther to the north, I viewed the Promontory Mountains where I had ridden the previous day.

Looking directly north, I remounted the bike and headed off for Francis Peak, which is located above Kaysville.

I rode past the peak to the north end of Francis Peak Road, and stopped to admire the view stretching from Ogden, through Kaysville, all the way down to the Oquirrh Mountains which terminate at the south shore of the Great Salt Lake.

I backtracked a bit, then headed farther north to Smith Creek Lakes. Here I enjoyed the views to the east of Morgan and the Morgan Valley.

Riding back south to Francis Peak, I admired another perspective of the Morgan Valley to the east.

Backtracking down from Francis Peak, I once again turned my attention to the west, where I could observe the panorama extending to the Oquirrh Mountains, and almost to Salt Lake City.

Ordinarily, I would have descended Farmington Canyon, but the road was still closed from last year’s landslide. Therefore, I headed back to Bountiful Peak. I parked my XR650L at the base of the peak, and climbed to the top to enjoy the view of the Great Salt Lake to the west.

Looking to the north, I viewed Francis Peak, from which I had just departed.

Looking to the east, I viewed Morgan, Richville, and Porterville.

Looking to the south, I viewed the Wasatch Range and the road back to Bountiful.

After eating my lunch and taking a few photographs, I descended Bountiful Peak and returned to my bike.

Riding back south to Bountiful, I paused frequently to admire the scenery. Entering the switchbacks just above Bountiful, I stopped to view the town and the Mormon temple.

After descending back to the valley, I considered taking an excursion to Salt Lake City. However, the wind began to blow as rain approached from the south. Therefore, I decided to eat supper, and return to Ogden to spend the evening.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 09:44 PM
Old 12-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Great photos, Spud! Thanks!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thank you, PD. Indeed, ATK Thiokol has manufactured many solid propellant rockets for the military, including the legendary, Minuteman ICBM missile.

Spud
Yep, that's part of the story.

I know an aeronautical engineer (officer in USAF at Hill AFB at the time) who was responsible for testing the solid fuel sections being manufactured by MT. They would take them out onto the salt flats for test fires. I kid you not: He says that when they failed to fire, somebody would try to light them with burning newspaper.... Remember, this was the 1960s.

He said that the roar of the engines was so loud that you couldn't have a conversation at 100 yards.

The weather was perfect for the Skyline ride. Very well done, as usual. Boy, you really get around.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,271
Awesome pictures! Those roads look like a lot of fun riding.

BTW, what rear disc guard are you running, and what skidplate?
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote