ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #91
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,551
did someone talk about screen size on the Montana being smaller than the 276/376/478 ???

Montana screen size = 2"W x 3.5"H

276/376/478 screen size = 3.0" x 2.2"

they're basically the same.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #92
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucker View Post
My wife came equipped with all that. The joystick works fine up to at least 90+. Wait, what are we talking about?

Wondered how long a comment might take... Could be considered cross training, and practice makes perfect.

Richard
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #93
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmshot View Post
BTW was that a personal invitation to the 2013 KoTW ride.
There is no such thing.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #94
Pucker
This is gonna hurt

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmshot View Post
BTW was that a personal invitation to the 2013 KoTW ride.
You'll have to talk dirty to him. I mean filthy, like the stuff you wouldn't say to a $2 tranny hooker who begged for it.
...not that I have any experience with $2 tranny hookers, but I do like talking dirty to Rob.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #95
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
What buttons do you push at 70 mph going over rough terrain?

The Montana sounds really good to me. I don’t need all its capabilities but it will likely be my next.

The touch screen on my Zumo is easy to use and works well. It has some buttons which I never use but I think it needs buttons to scroll the map. If it had those I would use them
Please refer me back to the post where I said 70 mph. I don't recall ever saying that. As a rider you should know that racing can be done at any speed and it is considered fast depending on terrain. But that all depends on what kind of rising your doing.

However, I have been in situations where you are riding a setting of maybe .5 miles at about 50-60 mph, and then you need to zoom into 800ft as you come up on a turn for more detail coming into it.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #96
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

I think most everyone is missing the point here.

This is not a poo poo on the Montana thread. I repeat, NOT a poo poo on the Montana thread.

What this is, is a "there's got to be something better than what is offered right now and it should be based on the push-button foremat" thread, with obvious options and upgrades, which could include a manual on/off for the touch sceen.

I have spoken to many people who use the Montana and like it, I have never spoken to anyone who loves it, save Finn. BUT, virtually everyone who has ever owned a 276/376/478 loves it.

So, what I'm saying is that with as many people as there now are in this sport going to GPS as their only means of navigation, don't we have the voices to make some changes on future units that come out that are sold into our sport?

Couldn't we as a large consumer group, make some recommendations based on what we would like to see as a perfect unit in the near future? Shouldn't we?

With the numbers of possible consumers in this group, shouldn't we ask for something more than "good enough"? Or, it's better than x,y,z? That kind of thinking is lame and impedes progress.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 09:28 AM
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #97
Burmshot
Born to ride

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucker View Post
You'll have to talk dirty to him. I mean filthy, like the stuff you wouldn't say to a $2 tranny hooker who begged for it.
...not that I have any experience with $2 tranny hookers, but I do like talking dirty to Rob.
I love to talk dirty and it's only going to cost me $2 to talk to Rob dirty i'm in. I will have to pm Rob my thoughts because if i say them on the internet i might just become a Banned Brother.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #98
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
BUT, virtually everyone who has ever owned a 276/376/478 loves it.

I liked the 376c when it worked, never loved it. It was too hard to use at speed in the dirt with the right hand buttons and no touch screen. I'd still have one if it was reliable.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #99
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I liked the 376c when it worked, never loved it. It was too hard to use at speed in the dirt with the right hand buttons and no touch screen. I'd still have one if it was reliable.
"Virtually". Even underlined it. Never said all.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #100
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Here's a curious thought-screw Garmin. Talk to Google. They've got the brainpower, resources and money to probably deliver what we are looking for.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #101
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
"Virtually". Even underlined it. Never said all.

Easy tiger, I wasn't busting your balls.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #102
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Finn,

Glad you like your Montana, but seriously it's just an upgraded hiking and exploring GPS with Google sat imagery. It's lacking the screen size and push button controlling (too many issues with touch screen at high speed). We're not trying to say that the Montana is a bad GPS,, what we're saying is take the best of the 276/376/478 series, which were very high performance, and still are and make them better. Maybe utilize some of the Montana farkles into it as well. A true racer/rallier/dirtbike GPS, must have a large screen, be push button or handlebar remote controlled to be truly effective at high speed in rough terrain. The Montana doesn't cut it for that.

I think that no matter what any sized petition says the Montana is the new 478, like it or not.

I'm not here to tell everyone to buy a Montana, I have what works very well for me and my thing. I'm just posting to give another more positive review based on my experience. Remember, most people post up in the Montana thread when they are having problems, so it's not necessarily a balanced discussion on their reliability.
For me, track management without limits is most important as I need to have lots of tracks for my rides, sometimes thousands of miles of them. Coming from a 478 it takes a little while to get used to the touch screen, but like anything in time you'll be flying around it just the same. Just as configurable with everything like the 478, unlike the Zumo's.
For navigating unlimited tracks, finding gas/food, working with waypoints or just wandering with a general direction using the GPS to find the route, the Montana is prefect for me and proven to be trustworthy.

I understand your needs for pretty specific things, I didn't need to touch the GPS wile navigating the Baja 1000 route while at high speeds (for me), I just followed the tracks glancing down now and then, having hard buttons to zoom in and out would be useful, I just slowed down enough to do it on the touchscreen

I think you might actually get somewhere with a petition if you go a different route though, as the Montana is here to stay and is a good platform.

You know how bike makers like BMW, and HD have their own rebranded GPS units that are nothing more than a Garmin with an extra cradle that has buttons on it?.... Maybe you could get Garmin to make one for the Montana, even a wired remote with zoom and pan buttons that just plugs into the usb port on back.

Or develop one yourself, www.kickstarter.com comes to mind.

That's the thing with the Montana, it's just software that can be changed to make it work for what you want out of a GPS, it's proven that Garmin can make add-on button thingies for GPS's and they have been very receptive to adding things software wise for ADV riders...

Now if you are successful and the Montana becomes the defacto racer GPS used worldwide in all the big races with the extra button module and you become millionaire, I get one for free at least.

-Finn

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 01:07 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #103
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Oooooo dark and scary rooooooad!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #104
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Hi Jimmy!

(Insert waive smiley)

Mobile ADV Fix Complete

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #105
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Ok, Montana software or whatever. I just want a bigger screen!! And a unit that can take abuse like my 60csx.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote