Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #31
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
I'm in and a bit pissed that I am stuck here in Misery watching the snow fly.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #32
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
Did you upgrade the sub-frame bolts ?
Your load looks like the ultimate strength test for the sub-frame and many have failed with less loading.
Good luck in your travels.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #33
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Awesome....subscribed to this.

Eagle mike is the man for KLR's. When I get my new one, everything I can get from EM will be going on it!
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #34
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
2 up on a KLR...for world travel. Get some suspension under that mule.

By the way, is the Obama unemployment going to last 10-20 years?
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #35
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
A lot of people ask us how we can afford this trip. For this trip we are trying to live as cheaply as possible. We want to find out what we want in life and then how much money we really NEED. We camp alot for free and cook on a kelly kettle which has a double wall with water in it to boil it. We can boil 1.5 liters of water with a handful of sticks.

Kelly kettle

Using the base of the kelly kettle with coles in it we can cook using this homemade grate

When we started the trip it used to cost us about $100 for both of us per day. Now most days are about $20 for 2 people and we are still in the USA. We camp and couchsurf to save money. We buy cheep food. Our only costs are food and gas really. I do all my own maintenance and people help us out. All parts are ordered online to save
Money.

I did work as an Aerospace engineer for a few years. I was traveling to Germany for work and was payed a lot to travel so we have money saved up. As we travel we will try and work with people to travel as cheap as possible. I work odd jobs and my girlfriend will teach english as a second language. I will volunteer and work on Engineering solutions for the poor. Traveling with little money is much more of an adventure then hotels and not meeting people. I am excited for whats to come.

http://www.facebook.com/theperfectworld2012
globalklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #36
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As for what we have, below are pictures of everything we had when we started the trip. We have alot more stuff and have lost or thrown out stuff too. We now have front bags (i will explain with pictures in another post) and strap alot of stuff ontop of the top bag, which is bad because its only rated for 12lb, we must have over 50lb. I am working on a list of everything we have now that i will post soon.

This is what was in our tank bag. Alot of dry food, spot, maps, plugs ect. This bag is also a backpack which is great on day trips.

Stuff that goes in the top bag and saddle bags. The camping stuff goes between the top bag and Candice. We have a computer, the kellykettle and so much more. The front row is what we wear,helmets, jackets etc. Keep in mind that all our cloths are not in this picture and still have to fit in the saddle bags (we roll them to save space)

Old 12-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #37
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The front bags. How to keep an overloaded KLRs front on the ground.

The front end was too light and i couldn't steer. I decided to get front bags and move stuff from the back to the front. We bought $50 bicycle saddle bags and first put them over the tank under the tank bag. They were in the way of my legs so we put them over the windshield our curret config.

We used rubber straps behind and in front of the windshield.

Strap in the front

Other side. The rope between the bags stops them from rotating out.

Ropes attached to bag and rubber strap

On the other side

We put the bottom strap of the bag around the crash bar. This holds the weight of the bags to this strong bar. The windshield straps are only to hold the bag in place.

The handle bars just clear the bags and follow them.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #38
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

But ya with all this stuff i am worried about the rear shock. Lets say i am poor and want to ride it till it breaks. Would that work? Lets say i go into mexico and drive for a week and it breaks. Can i hitch hike to town order a new one online for general deliver to a post office. Camp and wait until it gets there and then install it? Sounds like an adventure to me. We have no schedule so these things are easier.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #39
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Sounds like a journey of epic proportions.

On a side note. I think I would come up with a more clever/durable mounting system that beats rope... like 1" straps from West Marine...lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #40
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalklr650 View Post
But ya with all this stuff i am worried about the rear shock. Lets say i am poor and want to ride it till it breaks. Would that work? Lets say i go into mexico and drive for a week and it breaks. Can i hitch hike to town order a new one online for general deliver to a post office. Camp and wait until it gets there and then install it? Sounds like an adventure to me. We have no schedule so these things are easier.

I've read other Ride Reports in which the shock has given up and caused big problems. Getting it there by air is a problem if they refuse it on an airline because it's filled with nitrgen gas under preasure.
The other problem is because a shock is valueable , so some countries want to charge large customs fees.
If you have time before you leave the U.S. , maybe you should look into at least a stronger rear spring.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #41
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Scribed.

Sounds and looks like an epic insightful journey ahead.

If I may, I'd also be looking at some more long term attachment solutions for the front bags, while you have the time and are in a place where finding, buying and fitting what you need is less stressful. The rear shock sounds like an inevitability so why wait and chance it. Get 'er done while you are in the US of A, again where you will have lots of choices, prices and availability. More than that you have the time and access to facilities too. As you may already be aware or will likely learn, not every jurisdiction has such easy access where suppression type activities are the norm.

None the less, this is your RR and thread, and some of us might be interested in some of the insights and discoveries you make along your journey, after all your intent is not merely riding a motorcycle two up round this wobbly planet we all share (or are meant to be sharing) that we all call home. So please do not be put off posting about items, thoughts, insights, or views that might seem a little off topic, it's YOUR journey of self discovery after all, and we are merely spectators accompanying you along for the ride.

If you make it to China, and specifically Ningbo, there is a bed, and space here - if needed. The same may apply in NZ or Australia, depending on the time of the year, and my travel and whereabouts at any given time.

Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #42
zhu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
if you make it to china ......
might want to cover up that "free tibet" sticker
just sayin
Old 12-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #43
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did not know it would be so hard to get the shock. Ok maybe I should get a stiffer spring. Do you know where i can buy a rear spring for the KLR? Can i do this work myself.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #44
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't know if i want to live in a world where you get in trouble for saying a non violent country should be free. But really i should cover that up in China good advice.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #45
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Scribed.

Sounds and looks like an epic insightful journey ahead.

If I may, I'd also be looking at some more long term attachment solutions for the front bags, while you have the time and are in a place where finding, buying and fitting what you need is less stressful. The rear shock sounds like an inevitability so why wait and chance it. Get 'er done while you are in the US of A, again where you will have lots of choices, prices and availability. More than that you have the time and access to facilities too. As you may already be aware or will likely learn, not every jurisdiction has such easy access where suppression type activities are the norm.

None the less, this is your RR and thread, and some of us might be interested in some of the insights and discoveries you make along your journey, after all your intent is not merely riding a motorcycle two up round this wobbly planet we all share (or are meant to be sharing) that we all call home. So please do not be put off posting about items, thoughts, insights, or views that might seem a little off topic, it's YOUR journey of self discovery after all, and we are merely spectators accompanying you along for the ride.

If you make it to China, and specifically Ningbo, there is a bed, and space here - if needed. The same may apply in NZ or Australia, depending on the time of the year, and my travel and whereabouts at any given time.

Wow sinned,

Thanks for the great advice. I hope to try and write alot about how you can travel by motorcycle but also what
We learn from different people. I want to learn alot about myself and the world to try and find out how to improve both.

Thanks for making me feel better about voicing my opinion.

It would be great to meet up in China and/or newzealand and australia.

Sincerely,
Alex