Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #1771
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 870
They have already teased....

...the VFR1200 T.

Just put some taller bars and screen and lower foot pegs and bigger fuel tank on the VFR1200F and viola!!!!

I'd buy one in a nano-second.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #1772
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,973
MR T.

Geez that pic is BIG

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #1773
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
MR T.

Geez that pic is BIG
Oh man! That is frickin sweet!
There are a lot of fantastic models coming out and this would really stress me out....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #1774
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
The silly thing is that of the three bikes they have tried to build around that 1200 engine, it is this one ^^^ that makes most sense.

The motor is clearly too heavy to power a sport bike or an adventure tourer. Both are nice in their way but their performance envelope doesn't really match their appearance and ergos.

The version above could be no heavier than class rivals, with exceptional durability, low maintenance, plenty of poke and some character.

Not everybody wants 1650cc and six cylinders.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #1775
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
When you consider that most people, myself included, buy adventure tourers for their looks, comfort and prowess on bumpy back roads, the CT fits the bill fine.

It was on my short-list but Honda saw fit to not offer a single demo in the country where it's built!

twinrider screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 12:09 AM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:39 AM   #1776
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
The silly thing is that of the three bikes they have tried to build around that 1200 engine, it is this one ^^^ that makes most sense.

The motor is clearly too heavy to power a sport bike or an adventure tourer.....
They were going to release that one first but some doofus convinced than that a sports Tourer was the thing to do.

Then someone changed their minds and decided that the Adventure Tourer was the way to go.

Then .......

Anyway an Adventure Tourer is a Tourer that can take a bit or a lot of crap. Luckily we have a good spread of options with different compromises from different manufacturers. The Honda just happens to be more Tour and Less Adventure than some others. The KTM is on the other end. Most people would be wasted on a KTM regardless what they think and they Honda makes more sense. Unless you just want people to think you are rugged and take trips down vertical cliffs on a regular basis.

But that is image not substance. The bike is what it is. You pays your money...It should suit a lot of people in reality.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #1777
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Yeh. The VFR1200 'T'.

The bike was already announced in 2010 for 2011.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ne...onda_vfr1200t/

Old news. And because the 'T' is actually the VFR everyone wants, it wont come.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #1778
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
Yes, I have gathered the Crosstourer works notwithstanding the weight.

Has a lot going for it. I like it. And especially for riders who will be mainly on tarmac and never on anything soft. Which is most of them.

Nevertheless, it is IIRC the heaviest adventure tourer out there, with the shortest-travel suspension.

It represents one extreme of the category, on the weight (and in its case, suspension) scale.

As does the VFR1200F.

Whereas the T version pictured might not.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #1779
ishmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
wOw, that VFR-1200-T looks beautiful, is this a Honda concept machine or is it going ahead for 2013/14 etc..? Suppose it'll replace the ageing Pan European motorcycle.

Beautiful indeed!!
ishmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #1780
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Honda should run security for the CIA...nobody has a clue what Big Red is doing?
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #1781
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
well while the rest of the world manufacturers produce bikes with Monster motors, Honda keeps releasing a PLETHORA of mid sized motor bikes for the USA... who is buying all these 500 and 700cc engined bikes? very confusing...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #1782
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
well while the rest of the world manufacturers produce bikes with Monster motors, Honda keeps releasing a PLETHORA of mid sized motor bikes for the USA... who is buying all these 500 and 700cc engined bikes? very confusing...

The new Honda 500's aren't at dealers yet, but my local dealer has sold every NC700X he could get from Honda. He was able to get a couple more from other dealers to meet his customer requests.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #1783
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
The VFR1200T is, indeed, very old news, but still might be coming.

Supposedly the picture was developed from some Honda patent applications line drawings which first surfaced in 2009. The patent was for including some kind of crushable structure on the front of a motorcycle to reduce crash impact loads for riders - thus, the jutting lower jaw below the headlight.

For awhile, it was supposed that Honda was planning on imminent release of the 1200T, but when it didn't appear, it was assumed Honda has juggled the release dates to get the 1200F and 1200X out first. But this is all rumor, no one really knows.

Bottom line: It might or might not appear, it might or might not look like this picture, and might or might replace the ST1300.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #1784
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
they are indeed selling for the time because people are not flush at the moment.
i asked my local honda dealer about the crf250L, 700x and the 500s. they said the 1st 2 fly out the door the 2nd they get one and they have deposits on the 1st bunch of 500s that arrive. 5-8K is sweet price point these days to get things sold.

honda sells a boatload of 125s outside the US plus is quickly capturing the mid-market in the US. no other mfg has moved so fast into this segment. i think honda does a ton of r&d and has plenty of bikes developed already depending on the buying mood. these mid-size bikes don't popped out of the oven, honda has been working on them for years.

my guess is the vfr1200T(ST) was done years ago but the timing was not right to sell enough. they'll be expensive and honda will wait till people are flush again to buy them.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #1785
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
they are indeed selling for the time because people are not flush at the moment.
i asked my local honda dealer about the crf250L, 700x and the 500s. they said the 1st 2 fly out the door the 2nd they get one and they have deposits on the 1st bunch of 500s that arrive. 5-8K is sweet price point these days to get things sold.

honda sells a boatload of 125s outside the US plus is quickly capturing the mid-market in the US. no other mfg has moved so fast into this segment. i think honda does a ton of r&d and has plenty of bikes developed already depending on the buying mood. these mid-size bikes don't popped out of the oven, honda has been working on them for years.

my guess is the vfr1200T(ST) was done years ago but the timing was not right to sell enough. they'll be expensive and honda will wait till people are flush again to buy them.
I hear ya... but there are so many ST people, they could sell quite a few... and if it's really badass, it would steal RT owners away as well...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote