User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
ChickenDance OP
Keepin up with Darth

Oddometer: 44
FMM Card at Tecate on a Sunday?

We are planning to cross into Baja, at Tecate, on a Sunday. In the past, I've read that the FMM, or tourist card fee needed to be paid at a bank, but banks are not open on Sunday. I also think I've read recently, but I don't know where, because I'm on Baja forum and info overload, that this has changed, and the fee can be paid at the office where you get the card. If anyone has any info on this, please respond. Thanks so much!

Oregon Dual Sport Rental & Adventures
www.oregondualsportrentalandadventures.com
ChickenDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDance View Post
We are planning to cross into Baja, at Tecate, on a Sunday. In the past, I've read that the FMM, or tourist card fee needed to be paid at a bank, but banks are not open on Sunday. I also think I've read recently, but I don't know where, because I'm on Baja forum and info overload, that this has changed, and the fee can be paid at the office where you get the card. If anyone has any info on this, please respond. Thanks so much!
Not sure on your situation, but be aware that this weekend is a holiday weekend and whatever is "normally" the case, may very well not be the case this weekend. Tomorrow is dia de los muertos.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
ChickenDance OP
Keepin up with Darth

Oddometer: 44
Not going this Sunday, but a Sunday in the near future.

Oregon Dual Sport Rental & Adventures
www.oregondualsportrentalandadventures.com
ChickenDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
I believe the tourist card needs to be payed for, before you leave the country. I've always payed right at the time of entry but when I entered from Guatemala on a Sunday the bank was not open so they said to pay it later, which I did 4 days later in a small town in Chiapas. The first bank I went to did not know how to process it but the second knew how and accepted payment.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Unless things have changed since September you cannot pay the fee at the tourist office. I would suggest using discover Baja and do it online it's really easy. Then your fees are paid, you get the FMM stamped at Tecate and your on your way!! Simple.

They can be reached at

www.discoverbaja.com

Or (800) 727-2262

They are great people to work with,

Good luck,

ADV Fool
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
skeelo221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDance View Post
Any update? I'm crossing into Tecate early AM as well, on a Sunday. From what I can gather, I can just pick up the FMM from the border agent and then pay for it later if the bank is closed? I imagine there is a bank in San Felipe that would accept payment you think?
skeelo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,297
Last time I did this at Tecate, I had to fill out the form, then go to the bank pay station, then back to immigration for his stamp. Weekdays only.

So what I can't answer is how you will get an immigration stamp after you've paid somewhere south of Tecate. Maybe immigration in Ensenada, haven't tried that.

I'll probably go in at the new Tijuana crossing next month, hope they have it sorted out there.
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

News flash!!!!!!

I just learned today that you can now get your FMM (Tourist Card) and pay for it right next door at the Banjercito(sp) as well as a TVIP if you need one. Info came directly from Discover Baja (see my post #5).

This is good news. . . . .
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
skeelo221
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV Fool View Post
I just learned today that you can now get your FMM (Tourist Card) and pay for it right next door at the Banjercito(sp) as well as a TVIP if you need one. Info came directly from Discover Baja (see my post #5).

This is good news. . . . .
Thanks for the update! On a Sunday morning?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Tecate Border Crossing Hours

The Border crossing & Imigration office is open 5:00am to 11:00pm daily and the Banjercito is open 8:00am to 4:00pm daily, seven days a week. Again, I trust this info since it comes directly from Discover Baja Offices. If I hear of any other changes to this schedule I'll post it up.

Just to be clear, I have no direct connection with the Discover Baja Offices, I'm just a satisfied customer.

ADV Fool
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
skeelo221
Adventurer

Thank you!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsAlien View Post
So what I can't answer is how you will get an immigration stamp after you've paid somewhere south of Tecate. Maybe immigration in Ensenada, haven't tried that..
if still matters, the answer is NO. You could go and ask but if they go by the book they will say "unless you just came off a boat, Ensenada was not your first port of entry to Mexico" I know because I receive students from other nations and the first and second time we had that problem, so we now stop at Tijuana coming from San Diego.

Just my 2 cents

Damasovi
Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #13
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,745
Fwiw I crossed @ Tecate 8am a week ago. Saturday and the bank was open. Read many places that less than a week and no fee. I just followed instructions and ended up with a 180 day card for $25. There was no wait crossing into Mexico. On the way back. Yesterday at 3pm the line was 1-2 hours long. Being on a bike I rode to the front on the line.
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #14
haket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
2014 update, I crossed last Sunday and the immigration office now is a one stop shop. No bank trip needed. Open 7days now. $25 paid in dollars.
haket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Is it in the same spot just past the crossing to the right under the canopy?
wsmc99 is offline   Reply With Quote