Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 305
Yuscarn to Esteli aka the Canadian Smoke Screen

We picked a route to the border that was about 1/2 dirt and a small border crossing at El Pariso.

Mahai(one of the Canadians not originally from CA) took the lead and I was in the middle or the back all morning. The road was very dusty. Hence the Canadian smoke screen!!

Not the best pics but they have all 3 of us.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Small creek crossing/ spot to fill up water truck.

DCIM\100GOPRO

Pawel (the other Canadian also not originally from CA)

A small sample of the smoke screen and the road/village soccer field
DCIM\100GOPRO

And the border!
DCIM\100GOPRO

The crossing took over 2 hours. Mostly getting into Nica but it was because we got the lady we needed on lunch break and then things just move slow. We all hung out BS'd and laughed. We are in no rush either. One pushy handler to shoo away but other than that all was easy and chill! Another handler and some truckers told us to get ahead of them in line. The guy took our paperwork and handed it to the lady told her our deal and boom that part was done. He never even indicated he wanted any money. I gave him and another guy and AK postcard and they were pumped.

The guys at the border that operate the gate and where you get insurance love the bikes! Some people are just stoked on the trip. We laugh with them get insurance shake hands and hit the road. Nica roads are great! Especially compared to Honduras.

Riding with the Canadians is a real good time. I have road with other guys on similar bikes and they struggle to keep up but Team Smoke Screen know how to ride and run the DR's hard.

We make it to Esteli expecting a nice chill night because it is Sunday and we were up late due to the little local festival in Yuscarn. NOPE not happening. Esteli is crazy and almost completely booked!!

It is the last night of some Horse Festival where all the best horses from all of Central America come. I don't know what classifies a horse as a "best" horse but these people are into it. When in Rome...

Here is preview picture or two...bad cell phone shots but you get the idea.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote