Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #331
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirving View Post
Finally@!
My new book - about working for Metro Motorcycles in DC many long years ago - will publish on Amazon in January. Please spread the news around the biker community - I've tried to make it as accurate as I can remember but anyone who catches an error will get a prize (a second copy of the book for free - it's like two weeks in New Jersey)

Take a look. Facebook.com/terryirvingcourier or www.terryirving.blogspot.com

Thanks Terry
Cool, best of luck with it. Post us a link when it is live on the site.
Renegade_Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #332
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
The 'ol SP

Enjoyed perusing this thread this morning, Joey. The time period and SP400 caught my eye. Altho I was never a motorcycle courier, I did have city experience with the Suzuki. I was living in Vancouver Canada in the 80s and, working there, was constantly being annoyed by gridlock and traffic jams in general. I fought it well with a street bike but it wasn't until my friend sold me his SP500 that I found every curb, sidewalk, back alley and railtrack and the advantages of using them. My commutes suddenly got a lot easier. This was what I now call my first Dual Sport and, altho I never really got far into the bush with it, there was a trip I'd do on occasion out by the airport. A breakwater spit at the Fraser River mouth had a perfect sandbar ride at low tide beside it. It was a good mile long and made for some great high speed riding. Unfortunately, I took it to the limit just one too many times and, altho it did not involve any high speed crash, it did trigger the end of the bike for me.
I got out to the end of the spit and there was that one little exposed bar of sand left with just a bit of water in between. As I dove on in the bike immediately sank to the skidplate and would not move another inch. It was about two minutes after this that I realized the tide was rapidly advancing and I was standing there with the proverbial dick in hand. With nothing I could do to pull the bike out I started walking back, swearing, kicking my helmet down the beach and looking back at a rapidly vanishing motorcycle. No cell phones back then and no one for miles.
But then, there it was. That spot on the horizon. Coming towards me. Turned out to be a three wheeler ATV with two guys on it. I begged them to help me rescue the bike and the three of us waded in and were able to dislodge it and roll it to shore. There was no way it was starting and with the tide making the beach disappear, plus not having a tow rope it was time to improvise. My well worn Levis jean jacket became the rope. Somehow tied between the machines we got maybe three hundred yards before it tore apart. Knotting the thing back together I managed to get the bike to the closest building, the sewage pumping station (no, it didn't go into the ocean) and a phone. Telling those boys I definitely owed them a beer I got ahold of my roommate who fetched me tools and replacement oil. Plug out, we got the bike upside down and then upright and with a lot of kicking, got most of the ocean out of there. Bike fired up again and I ran oil thru it til it looked a lot less creamy.
The ride home was approximately five miles in the dark and I watched the head begin to dim in the last mile. All downhill as I coasted into my driveway.
The long story short, pulling the side covers the next day revealed sand in the stator and God know where else. Stator replacement and subsequent multiple oil and filter changes has the little SP running normally again but common sense had me unloading it shortly without revealing its recent past. All I can say is I did give it to the guy for a really good price.
And there my SP story.
Toad.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #333
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
....I got out to the end of the spit and there was that one little exposed bar of sand left with just a bit of water in between. As I dove on in the bike immediately sank to the skidplate and would not move another inch....
I'm glad you enjoyed the Courier stories and thanks for sharing thoughts on your SP500.

A couple of months ago I was on on the Outer Banks with my DR650 and, while not nearly as bad as what you experienced, I did get that "sinking down to the skidplate feeling...". Took three of us to push 'er to firmer ground.

Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #334
wowbagger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
More minor adventures

I have been reading through this thread at odd times yesterday and today and think it is great, and as a result join and put my own contribution in.

I started as a courier way back in '86 on an XS1100 Martini and from that went the usual CX500 and GT550 route, many CX500's as they blew up or I crashed them.
Worked for several companies Addison Lee, Pony express, Mayday couriers(the best one in London I worked for) and others.

Like I am sure many others, I got other jobs in offices etc when I needed a mortgage, credit etc.
So far I did '86 to '95 with a years break on bikes then on bikes and on four wheels in between so called sensible jobs since then, when I get bored and want some excitement or need a job, for total of about 13 years being a courier..

An earlier post on this thread made me think of how we would try and stay warm in the winters. I remember sitting in a cloud of diesel exhaust fumes by a coach exhaust trying to get warm.

Great thread...
wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #335
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbagger View Post
.....we would try and stay warm in the winters. I remember sitting in a cloud of diesel exhaust fumes by a coach exhaust trying to get warm...
Reading that just sparked the same memory for me! Spending a minute at a light next to a bus engine, breathing in diesel fumes and getting slightly warm from the inside out, if only for a moment...
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

Old 12-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #336
wowbagger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Just to keep the thread going.

Had a classic today, that most if not all couriers can relate to.

Got a call this morning saying a customer wants a collection to go to Westminster ( a part of London for those not familiar with London and the UK).
Me: whats the actual post code
Controller: they will give that to you on collection.

So I went to collect, package not ready - usual from this type of business.

package is presented to me and as always I look for an address and or contact name on the parcel.

Nothing.
Me: So where is it going.
Company: I thought you knew ( or words to that effect).
Me: NO.
Guy comes out and says it is going to the LSE (London School of Economics) London.
Me:The LSE have a number of buildings in London I politely say.

Response: We will give you a number of who you are delivering to and call him when you get up to Westminster area.

Me: NO. Thinking as well, is it in or out of congestion zone where I need to park - if I pay congestion charge and there was no need to I do not get it back,( I am using 4 wheels at the moment)

I say call him and find out where he is and I will deliver there.

They did, he only knew a street name but I got a post code for that and then did the run.

I really want to ask if they would send a letter with just LSE London on it without post code (zip code) and expect it to be delivered.

Some things never change!! Or am I being to harsh.
wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #337
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbagger View Post
Just to keep the thread going.

Had a classic today, that most if not all couriers can relate to.

Got a call this morning saying a customer wants a collection to go to Westminster ( a part of London for those not familiar with London and the UK).
Me: whats the actual post code
Controller: they will give that to you on collection.

So I went to collect, package not ready - usual from this type of business.

package is presented to me and as always I look for an address and or contact name on the parcel.

Nothing.
Me: So where is it going.
Company: I thought you knew ( or words to that effect).
Me: NO.
Guy comes out and says it is going to the LSE (London School of Economics) London.
Me:The LSE have a number of buildings in London I politely say.

Response: We will give you a number of who you are delivering to and call him when you get up to Westminster area.

Me: NO. Thinking as well, is it in or out of congestion zone where I need to park - if I pay congestion charge and there was no need to I do not get it back,( I am using 4 wheels at the moment)

I say call him and find out where he is and I will deliver there.

They did, he only knew a street name but I got a post code for that and then did the run.

I really want to ask if they would send a letter with just LSE London on it without post code (zip code) and expect it to be delivered.

Some things never change!! Or am I being to harsh.
Been a courier/postman for just over a year.. or was it two?
And no, you're not being harsh.
People are stupid.

That's one of the things that'll never change.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #338
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Comments inline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Been a courier/postman for just over a year.. or was it two? You've GOT to have some stories! Please share!

That's one of the things that'll never change. Yes. Universal stupidity crosses all International borders!

Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #339
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
Comments inline...
Oh man, seriously, at 3:45AM?

I'm still related to that company through my new company so I can't
bash them.. even if most of the absurd situations actually came from
them.

There'll be a time and a place.

I was mostly a mail man, the walking kind, but I used my bicycle and
scooter daily. More issues with dogs then anything else.

The movies are.. TRUE!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:45 AM   #340
rand0mlychrisUK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
This thread must not die!!!

This thread must not die!!!

This thread is amazing, I read it from cover to cover in the last two days, I am loving the stories!
It's been 5 months since the last post, let's ressurect it (again).

I have always wanted to do something on a motorcycle, but there are literally NO MC couriers over here in Estonia (perhaps due to the 5 month -25C 3-foot-of-snow winter!).

Even if I moved somewhere where it is a possibility, common sense says "don't do it, you won't get any money for it" and other various things like that...so do the people, too.

Keep up the stories, I remember a certain Paris thread and also some 12-inch-police-wheels.

Come on people! You are the reason ADVRider is this awesome!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #341
klr650gary
CBD Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
OK, I'll throw another one in...

I had to pick up from a Medical supply place going to a private clinic on an Express run - easy money!

So, on pick up, 3 small boxes with... Breast implants... 3?... Three?... Tres?

WOW, I've got visions of the 'Triple Breasted Whore from Eroticon 6' or the chick from 'Total Recall'

DAMMIT!! Turns out they always a spare ready just-in-case during the operation.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #342
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr650gary View Post
So, on pick up, 3 small boxes with... Breast implants... 3?... Three?... Tres?

Old 07-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #343
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Bloodrunning

Thanks to JB for kicking off a thread on the other type of ‘adv riding’.
Interesting to learn there were also moto messengers in the big US cities right from the start. But why not? stuff in DC needs delivering too.

I imagine like a lot here I expected to do it for a few of months, save up some money and get a life.
Ten years, 40 bikes and a dozen jobs later I finally stuffed my street finder into my lid and torched the whole lot.
(1978-88).

Here’s a recollection from a few weeks in the job. As is the form on adv, I'll string it out ;-)

‘Urgent – Human Tissue’ was emblazoned in red across the top of a padded vinyl case.
How long will it take to get there?’ asked the receptionist at the Colindale Blood Bank.
Er… Children’s Hospital, Great Ormond Street? About 20-25 minutes?’ I replied, quickly juggling what might be possible and what she wanted to hear.
Oh,’ she said with a frown. ‘Well, please be as quick as you can.’

Crikey, this was urgent. I’d never picked up blood before.
Was some poor child actually haemorrhaging in an operating theatre 9 miles away with their life in the balance?
As I kicked the Bonnie over I wondered – should I? – dare I? Is it allowed?
I decided tonight, yes it would be.
The time was 7.22pm and the Highway Code rule book was being temporarily suspended...
Old 07-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #344
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
I hate teasers Chris. We need more!

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #345
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
The time was 7.22pm and the Highway Code rule book was being temporarily suspended...
Oh, this is gonna be good...