User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #616
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 121
Dual Sport Riding on the Big Island

Finally, someone rents dual sport bikes on the Big Island. Hawaiian Adventure Rentals. Great service, nice bikes!http://contour.com/videos/watch/makoles-point-12-1-12
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #617
Cycleman4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Dual Sport

Hello fellow ADV riders. I am going to be on Maui the first week of Feb and I was hoping to do some riding. Can anyone point me in the direction of a rental bike? I am a very experienced rider and I ride a KTM 950 Adv at home. I don't really care about the size of the bike it just has to be big enough to lug my 225 lbs around. I am really looking forward to seeing the island on two wheels. Thanks in advance for your help.
Cycleman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #618
hiADV
Island Explorer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4 View Post
Hello fellow ADV riders. I am going to be on Maui the first week of Feb and I was hoping to do some riding. Can anyone point me in the direction of a rental bike? I am a very experienced rider and I ride a KTM 950 Adv at home. I don't really care about the size of the bike it just has to be big enough to lug my 225 lbs around. I am really looking forward to seeing the island on two wheels. Thanks in advance for your help.
Aloha Cycleman! You might try Aloha Motorsports. I know they have a wee-strom available for rent. If I'm not mistaken, your only other options are a Harley or scoot on Maui. Hope that helps.

http://alohamotorsport.com/

hiADV screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 10:34 AM Reason: added link
hiADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #619
mrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4 View Post
This guy does dirt bike tours.

http://www.mauimotoadventures.com/
mrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #620
motogon
Like wind

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrider View Post
This guy does dirt bike tours.

http://www.mauimotoadventures.com/
Wow! That's new! How they ride around island on non-street-legal dirt bikes? I'll check them out on next trip ... if they survive until that time.

motogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #621
mrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogon View Post
Wow! That's new! How they ride around island on non-street-legal dirt bikes? I'll check them out on next trip ... if they survive until that time.
Looks like they find a way...

https://www.facebook.com/MauiMotoAdv.../photos_stream
mrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #622
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,022
Cleaned out the Hilo ADVrider Stash Spot

Been home for a month and decided to reclaim lost territory, while I was working overseas my mother built a dog palace in the corner of the stash joint. The dogs haven't used it since we built a lanai a.k.a. deck a few years back so it's no loss to them but mom wanted them off the lanai....

ADVriders MaunaKea, MauiDRZ, Sfront, and Idahosam have or do store bikes here to allow for the pop in and ride the big island adventures, problem was the K9s had too much space so I booted them and re-arranged things today so that there is more breathing room to pull bikes out or wrench on them.

There's room for a couple more now, rules are simple: No Whinning, if you use something replace it, DO NOT use gasoline to clean air filters (Gas Water Heater Located down here!!!), Remember your Combinations and Keys, DO NOT bitch about Craftsman Tools, Clean Up after Yourself. And when my mom asks you if you want something to eat you better take her up on it!!!

So if you need some place to store a bike in Hilo for a bit lemme know, I can probably hook you up as well as get you in on some serious trails!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #623
Gasser
Control crash rider

Oddometer: 140

Its official, the world class two day Mauna Kea 200 endurance race is on.

After much legal wrangling we got some new sections of forest to use for tight technical trails to bring out the best in riders ability.

For those of you that want to be part of the Rock Island Rider trail designing crew, we will start cutting new trails "rain or shine" Sunday Jan 6th...contact Wayne @ 808-966-3033 or Ed @ 808-967-6365.

You young riders that want to become a pro off road endurance rider....learn the tricks of the trade by cutting gnarly trails with the Rock Island Riders.

~Gasser~
Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #624
Cycleman4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
condo

I am planning on coming to Maui February 2-8. My housing plans fell through. Does anybody have a line on a reasonably priced condo rental in the Kanapali area? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Cycleman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #625
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser View Post

Its official, the world class two day Mauna Kea 200 endurance race is on.

You young riders that want to become a pro off road endurance rider....learn the tricks of the trade by cutting gnarly trails with the Rock Island Riders.

~Gasser~
Yep, Gasser speaks the truth , check out some MK200 veterans at the 2012 TKO, they thought it sounded like a fun event to ride and went for it, 8th place in THE Finals for Knighter....

Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #626
Gasser
Control crash rider

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
Yep, Gasser speaks the truth , check out some MK200 veterans at the 2012 TKO, they thought it sounded like a fun event to ride and went for it, 8th place in THE Finals for Knighter....

Cool hill climb vid's...I'd like to do a "Bad Boy Lava Rock Ride" vid like that
Old 12-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #627
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Christmas Single Track

Rode some single track with the Hilo crew to welcome Santa last Sunday, the present for me was new trails with multiple rooty hill climbs, old trails that I haven't ridden in a bit so they're like new, plus 14 guys I hadn't ridden with in a year + to trade barbs with. Great time, fairly dry, and nothing beats hanging out with the Big Island trail riding crew!

Nothing like a 90 Degree turn in the middle of a downhill to make your day fun!

Good Times! Mele Kalikimaka!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #628
Niznack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Niznack Checking In

Aloha,

I've lived here on Oahu now 2 and a third years and think this has to be the worst of the Hawaiian Islands to ride. Someone please change my mind about that! What are the best rides here? I ride a Kawasaki 650 Versys so do mostly road rides, but can handle a bit of off-roading, nothing too gnarly tho. My favorite spot to ride is from Hanauma Bay to Makapu'u, but that's only about 3 miles or so. Itching for good rides, and no, I'm not military, tho I have friends in the military if that's what it takes to ride some of the best roads!

Shootz,

Niznack

P.S. Anyone down to ride wit me is welcome!
Niznack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #629
rummyogray
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi Niznack,

I'm also on Oahu, but alas, I don't have a bike at the moment. As you've probably already realized, it's hard to go more than
a few miles without making a turn and your almost always in traffic. I would think the ride up to Tanalus and Roundtop would be nice or how about Kaneohe to the North shore. The ride out from the North Shore to Dillingham field and down through the old plantations from Haleiwa past Dole to Scofield, nice open space. Isn't there an offroad park and races at Kahuku. If you have some time, I was told by Young Brothers that you can ship a bike to the Big Island for $165 (?) each way and if you stay in Kailua Kona, the Islander Inn is $59 per night. Most of the guys that post here are on the Big Island and it seems they know how to have FUN. Just a few thoughts.

Monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niznack View Post
Aloha,

I've lived here on Oahu now 2 and a third years and think this has to be the worst of the Hawaiian Islands to ride. Someone please change my mind about that! What are the best rides here? I ride a Kawasaki 650 Versys so do mostly road rides, but can handle a bit of off-roading, nothing too gnarly tho. My favorite spot to ride is from Hanauma Bay to Makapu'u, but that's only about 3 miles or so. Itching for good rides, and no, I'm not military, tho I have friends in the military if that's what it takes to ride some of the best roads!

Shootz,

Niznack

P.S. Anyone down to ride wit me is welcome!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #630
Niznack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Yeah Rummy, I've tried all those rides. They're ok. Tantalus may be the best, but there are so many switchbacks, tourists, bicycles, random chickens that it's almost too dangerous to ride. I do have some great goPro video of going up and coming back down that one. Yeah, most the time I just get stuck in traffic, wah wah wah wwwwaaaaahhh! That's a good idea though to ship the bike to another island, although all said and done it sounds expensive. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and just do it. Mahalo

Niznack
Niznack is offline   Reply With Quote