Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
OK I will go shoot some pics and set up an account to post them with. Thanks
No, thank you!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #32
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
I was out in my garage and remembered I bought an ignitor from Walmart last year for the old BBQ and didn't use it. It comes with a couple of wires and should do the trick cause they are small enough to connect to the terminals on the strip just nice without removing it from the bike and contain the arc. How much voltage do these produce?

Here's it is...

Can't remember how much I paid or it but it wasn't a lot...

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #33
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINE View Post
I was out in my garage and remembered I bought an ignitor from Walmart last year for the old BBQ and didn't use it. It comes with a couple of wires and should do the trick cause they are small enough to connect to the terminals on the strip just nice without removing it from the bike and contain the arc. How much voltage do these produce?

Here's it is...

Can't remember how much I paid or it but it wasn't a lot...

Yes That would be even better for an ON-BIKE repair. Brilliant. Think I'll go get one. I had not thought about since I am a charcoal man and have never owned a gas grill.

They produce upwards of 15 to 30K volts but the pulse width is on the order of nano-seconds.
2009 K300GT
K4AN
jzeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #34
AndyM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Yes That would be even better for an ON-BIKE repair. Brilliant. Think I'll go get one. I had not thought about since I am a charcoal man and have never owned a gas grill.

They produce upwards of 15 to 30K volts but the pulse width is on the order of nano-seconds.
I just tried the on-bike fix with an igniter like the one pictured above.
Bike is an 09 1200GSA with about 115k on it. My fuel strip died a month or so at at around 110k. I disconnected the plug from the tank and checked continuity between the two center pins on the bike. Open. I hooked up the igniter to the two center pins on the tank connector with some heat shrink over them and clicked it 4-5 times. Checked continuity again and low and behold I get a reading of 8.12k ohms .
Re-connected the plug and started the bike. Fuel gauge still doesn't work after running the bike for about 5 minutes. I'll see if it changes after I ride to work tomorrow, 40 miles each way, and will pot the results.

AndyM screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 08:00 PM
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #35
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
Checked continuity again and low and behold I get a reading of 8.12k ohms .
Re-connected the plug and started the bike. Fuel gauge still doesn't work after running the bike for about 5 minutes. I'll see if it changes after I ride to work tomorrow, 40 miles each way, and will pot the results.
That seems a bit high as a I measured 2.7 k ohm after zapping mine out of the tank. I got a reading as soon as I started the bike. Using the grill igniter I would only do it once since you have positive connection to the pins. Too many strikes may be detrimental. I won't know for sure until I get a few old strips to experiment with.
2009 K300GT
K4AN
Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #36
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Quote:
That seems a bit high as a I measured 2.7 k ohm after zapping mine out of the tank. I got a reading as soon as I started the bike. Using the grill igniter I would only do it once since you have positive connection to the pins. Too many strikes may be detrimental. I won't know for sure until I get a few old strips to experiment with.
I did mine yesterday...Zapped it in tank with less than 1/2 tank full. It works well meaning the wire ends fit on the terminals just perfect and the bike didn't explode . Zapped it a couple of times. Got a reading of 2835ohms after doing it. Won't be riding till spring so won't know the outcome til then.
I must say the ignitor setup works like a charm and access is easy peasy. I may carry this on bike as part of my tool kit just in case I meet someone who has the same issue or if I need to make another adjustment. Takes less then 10mins from start to finish.....

2008 R1200GSA
Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #37
AndyM
Gnarly Adventurer

Left for work and the gas gauge read full before I was a block from my house! The range took 30-40 miles before it read up around 315. Now I've got ~80 miles on this tank of gas and the range plus the odo is right about where it should be. The gas gauge is reading about two bars down which is what I would expect at 80 miles.
I'll be keeping an eye on it but so far it seems to have fixed the failed fuel strip
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #38
PretzelDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I tired the repair today with no change. I measured across the 2 center pins before and after trying the BBQ ignter. Still shows an open circuit. I zapped it 6 times on each try. :(
PretzelDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #39
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINE View Post
I did mine yesterday...Zapped it in tank with less than 1/2 tank full. It works well meaning the wire ends fit on the terminals just perfect and the bike didn't explode . Zapped it a couple of times. Got a reading of 2835ohms after doing it. Won't be riding till spring so won't know the outcome til then.
I must say the ignitor setup works like a charm and access is easy peasy. I may carry this on bike as part of my tool kit just in case I meet someone who has the same issue or if I need to make another adjustment. Takes less then 10mins from start to finish.....

Like wise I went to Wally World and they had 'em on sale $7.00. I mounted mine in some PVC fittings and it is going in my tool pouch.
2009 K300GT
K4AN
Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #40
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelDog View Post
I tired the repair today with no change. I measured across the 2 center pins before and after trying the BBQ ignter. Still shows an open circuit. I zapped it 6 times on each try. :(
Did you do it through the fuel flange connector or pull it from the tank? I could not get the lighter far enough into the flange connector to make it work.

Looks like the best bet is the BBQ igniter with the wires on it. Granted this may not always fix a bad strip but it is sure worth the shot.
2009 K300GT
K4AN
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #41
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,590
Any news to report?

I was reading an article that quotes Hans Blesse BMW NA VP in the MOA mgagazine (Oct 12) saying that the problem is the "chemical coating/contamination". Apparently, "fuels have been sampled from all over the world in an effort to identify the culprit." The article goes on to say that, "they are making strides toward curing these woes...".

I think what precipitated the problem on my 08 GS was a nap it took, fracturing the strip material. A week or so later I started having intermittent problems and before too long the problem became permanent.

WeazyBuddha screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 09:56 PM Reason: clarification
WeazyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #42
jzeiler
ADWrencher

I am thinking if it was chemical contamination the spark treatment would not work. Unless it some how "purges" the contamination from the strip. Don't think that is possible.

I believe it is the thick film resistor being a bit too brittle and once the strip flexes too much it fractures. The high voltage arc mearly "welds" the fractured thich film resistor back together, restoring normal operation. Thats my story and I'm sticking with it.
2009 K300GT
K4AN
Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #43
AndyM
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm on my 3rd tank of gas since doing "the fix" with a bbq igniter. It sort of works. Reads full when I fill it and the range seems about right. Then starts dropping as I burn off gas but only goes down to between 3/4 and 1/2. Any way to calibrate without going to the dealer?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #44
biometrics
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Isn't there a danger of the "spark" setting off fumes in the tank and causing an explosion with this repair technique? Am I missing something here?
biometrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #45
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biometrics View Post
Isn't there a danger of the "spark" setting off fumes in the tank and causing an explosion with this repair technique? Am I missing something here?
Kinda,
I believe there's no danger cause you're well below the LEL/UEL (Lower explosive limit/Upper explosive limit ) for it to ignite the gas in the tank. There simply isn't enough air in the tank or gas vapor to ignite nor do I believe the spark will be exposed in the tank rather than internally in the fuel strip.
If it makes you feel better, fill the tank completely full than you'll be sure to be well below the LEL for Gasoline....
Mine was well below less than 1/2 empty when I did it with the BBQ ignitor. Nothing happened....

Ever see someone throw a lit match in a full container of gas? Guess what? The flame goes out because there isn't enough vapor mixing with oxygen to ignite it....

2008 R1200GSA