User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #1996
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,481
20121002 1010 cdt

on my way to another city. long story. 5 kids and a husband just lost their mom. he wants to make some short videos talking about his wife.

on my way back last night, uncomfortable with all that time in the dark on the freeway. but sometimes it felt nice too - some parts just a lot of freeway and not too many cars. but construction marks makes it all to easy to run into the concrete barrier. solution? i just try to stay in sight of the cars and follow their lights.
*Round Trip Bill & Clif 2013 MOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) International
ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #1997
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

20121027 0539 cdt

i've already been up a few hours. my hours are funny because of youtube work.

it's been so long, i forgot my password here.

later today, one of the girls i met on the alaska tour will come stay with me a couple days.

i had a close call on the freeway... i think it was adams / madison maybe 5 southbound. the top of a semi truck cover blew off and floated, twisting across 4 lanes into the carpool. i skid... i could hear both my tires skid. the huge piece that covered my entire lane barely, barely landed before i rode over it. if it had been in midair, i imagine my head or body could be cut in half.

i've been really focused on youtube. (you know i wrote about this fantasy months ago - and while i was on the tour.) it was the only "job" i could find that would let me ride anywhere, anytime. at first, i was planning to go into a 2nd loan to make sure i could pay my expenses. youtube was only bringing in 75 cents or 4 dollars a day. i came to a point where i either needed to make youtube work, or i'd have to get a "normal job" and get tied down again.

i decided to try.

i pretty much worked indoors a full 15 days on youtube - never even stepped out the door. finally, enough started coming in to cover all my expenses. and the amount seems even stronger this month. yesterday, i left the house for the first time for a walk around the block - that's how hard it's been. my roommate thought that my exhaustion from youtube was so intense that he was concerned i might collapse and die.

a few seconds featured on ABC. and videos featured on MSNBC and another national news station called me yesterday for permission. Germans have also contacted me saying my videos have been playing on their national tv stations there.

youtube is a largely teen audience, so my vids look immature and silly... even stupid. but i also get a lot of teens and people in crisis asking for friendship, and i give them (i think) attention, compassion, and ideas they need to make it through.

the very first time i even considered making a living from youtube was on the alaska tour. motorcycle touring has a way of removing all the doubts and criticisms we insist on putting on ourselves. and ideas can be born that if you follow up on it (like i did with youtube) - it's possible to make them a reality. sure - i didn't think then that it'd consume me to the point that i'd have to be stuck in the house two weeks in a row. but once i build some strength and popularity, i really might be able to start roaming the planet again - stopping here and there at internet spots to upload videos so i have gas money.

yesterday, youtube sent a payment to me (for the first time in my life) high enough to pay my GTL payment (and then a bit more). the possibility or dream of youtube to support me was born on the alaska tour. and today, i think one of the girls i met on the tour will arrive at our home. so... the alaska tour continues to have strong reverberations in my life.

thanks bill. thanks cindy.
thanks to all of you that supported me and especially those keeping the doubters and haters at bay.

love clif
*Round Trip Bill & Clif 2013 MOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) International
Old 10-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #1998
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifNotes View Post
i had a close call on the freeway... i think it was adams / madison maybe 5 southbound. the top of a semi truck cover blew off and floated, twisting across 4 lanes into the carpool. i skid... i could hear both my tires skid. the huge piece that covered my entire lane barely, barely landed before i rode over it. if it had been in midair, i imagine my head or body could be cut in half.
if you were skidding, then your ABS is broken and needs to be fixed. With ABS, you should never skid.
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #1999
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
if you were skidding, then your ABS is broken and needs to be fixed. With ABS, you should never skid.
Thank you spx! I thought it was because of the tires. suddenly, the brakes were skidding a lot - not just then.

This is good to know
Old 10-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #2000
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifNotes View Post
Thank you spx! I thought it was because of the tires. suddenly, the brakes were skidding a lot - not just then.

This is good to know

Brakes don't skid, tires skid.
Do you have a brake fail light illuminated on your dash once you start moving? If not, then it is likely not failed abs. Perhaps you thought you were skidding but you weren't.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #2001
judgebill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Bill in Los Angeles

Hello and welcome to the continuing saga. Clif and I just had lunch and talked about what we wanted to do, if anything, with our journal. I am now assembling relevant postings from the two of us as well as choice comments, observations, words of wisdom and other notations from our many fans/contributors/critics and so-forth. We will add photographs and assemble the whole thing in some form that you can all enjoy. Stay tuned for our efforts.
In the meantime, I am now living in Los Angeles with Cindy. We ride together and this winter anticipate skiing together. Life is good and riding is wonderful. We will keep you posted on our continuing adventures.
Bill & Cindy.
judgebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #2002
ClarkA
Power sleeper and eater

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
Ist bike; a 1600GTL, 1st trip; Alaska.

I know I'm not the only one thinking what i'm thinking. . . .
No you are not!
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry.

IBA#7898
Airheads #728
BMWMOA #31997
BMWRA#15945

95 R100RT
82 R65LS
07 Gear-Up
ClarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #2003
judgebill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

judgebill the author

For those of you who have been wondering what's happening, the quick answer is "a lot". My last posting, late last year, reported my efforts to put together a journal of our adventures. Well, it has been a challenge. But in re-reading all the postings I have been excited and pleased to see how well the whole thing seems to fit together. Clif is a prolific poster, much more so than I had realized. Of the thousands of visits we've had, he has to account for a significant percentage. We have many old friends who stuck with us through the entire trip.
At this time, in March of 2013, I am almost finished with my selecting and editing of the text, my selecting of pictures and my adding of editorial comment. The next step will be to publish. This will be done through Amazon with an electronic book. Complete with pictures. Costs a bit more to add the photos but well worth the expense. I seriously doubt that any publishing house would want to take a gamble on this manuscript but for me and Clif and Cindy it has been a labor of love. And if for no other readers than ourselves, we are doing it. I'll post when it is available and in the meantime, Happy New Year to all of you. Bill
Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #2004
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Adventure continues los angeles to salem oregon - join us!!!

Hey Peeps! Bill n Clif's EXCELLENT ADVENTURE continues from LA into Oregon. And if I win the $116 Million Mega Lotto, then we'll go back to Alaska again!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903152
Old 12-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #2005
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's a link to the book

https://www.tatepublishing.com/books...=9781628542356
Old 12-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #2006
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Thank you SPX for the link

Thank you SPX for the link!!

I found the book really amazing. Bill is a prolific writer.

During the tour, I spent so much energy trying to prove it actually happened - that it was real. Ironically, when I read it now, it's even hard for me to believe.

But it was real: Going over thousands of miles with a great mentor, The bear I wanted to pet on the snout, The amazing beauty, Having enough time to have a new life perspective and faith set in.

It would be really cool to see the adventure and book turned into a movie or documentary. So much of the awe is visual... and in movement - the way bikes are.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #2007
judgebill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Book Published: Alaska and Back on a BMW 1600

Dear Readers,
It has been over a year now since Clif and I finished our ride from Los Angeles and back on our BMW K1600GTLs. The ride took 30 days and we traveled about 9000 miles. I then put together a book based on these Ride Reports and my own comments and observations. Tate Publishing Co has published the book and it is available as an ebook: http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookst...=9781628542356
My only regret is the inability to include all the pictures we took.
For those of you who like to anticipate excitement, Clif and I plan on riding around the USA (Four Corners) in August and September. We will start a new thread and make daily postings. This time, of course, Clif has much more experience (as do I). We will post lots of pictures and share our adventure with all of you. Hopefully, another book in the making. Meantime, blessings to all.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #2008
UtahJim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Got the book

Just got the book and about 100 pages in. Good recap of the adventure. Next time start with photos. Lots of photos.
UtahJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #2009
KLM 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I followed your last adventure day-by-day. It was a hoot!

Hope the next one is just as much fun for you both. Congrats on the book.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #2010
judgebill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

judgebill to ride around USA

To those who enjoy reading about long, long trips, this is to announce that judgebill and one or two companions will ride around the USA on our bikes, probably this coming April.
The book "Alaska and Back on a BMW 1600" has been a great success. It is available online (see previous postings) and contains a somewhat edited compilation of all the postings, plus commentary, from our Alaska trip. Clif and I continue to exchange information and both of us would like to make the Alaska ride again. Last year (2013) I tore my ACL skiing at Mammoth, had it repaired and now walk comfortably with a cadaver's replacement. Just completed a ski trip to Aspen with Cindy. Last August Cindy and I rode our motorcycles (she rides, as you may recall, a Harley) to Aspen, Santa Fe, the Grand Canyon and back to Los Angeles. Now I am planning a trip around the USA in April. Will begin a new Ride Report to keep you all up-to-date on the trip. Look for "Judgebill around the USA on a BMW 1600".

[/U][/B][/U]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM 3 View Post
I followed your last adventure day-by-day. It was a hoot!

Hope the next one is just as much fun for you both. Congrats on the book.