User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
FateMaker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Chile, Argentina and ??? on a SPORTY!

I figured I should just get started on this. I've been typing it up as I go along trying to make it pretty but then realized how stupid it is that I haven't posted anything. I plan to write the bulk of this during my downtime on the cruise to Antarctica I leave for in 4 days.

I left my rented house in Minneapolis on October 22nd, one day later than planned due to an excess of celebration the night before previously planned embarkation (watch and see if a pattern emerges here ). The 21st was my first actual test ride with all my gear packed on the bike. I didn't take this photo until I hit Florida (day 3) but it gives you an idea how big my load is

[IMG]006[/IMG]

2008 Harley Davidson XL1200C, Sportster 1200 Custom 105th Anniversary Edition.

I didn't take my first picture until the Tennessee/Alabama border. If you can recognize this place...you might be a redneck.

[IMG]004[/IMG]

Here's some background: I first started dreaming up this trip in winter 2011 when I was deployed to Kuwait. Originally I intended to go straight from Minneapolis to Ushuaia and then fly/ship the bike back from Buenos Aires. After much consideration I determined how little I cared for all the border crossings in Central America, and that Chile, Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay held the brunt of my interest. So does Colombia, so does Peru, so do the Galapagos Islands, but that'll be another trip. So the plan became ride MN to Miami, fly to Santiago, ride around until bored or dead. Actually I planned to finish in April. Now I'll probably be home in March in time for drill.

Me in Kuwait hanging with Five Finger Death Punch
[IMG]55DP[/IMG]
FateMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
FateMaker OP
Adventurer

MN to Miami

So as I said, I left on the 22nd of October, and hit my first batch of rain, lucky me. My boots are the only waterproof items of clothing I brought. I made it to Caseyville, Illinois that night. I tried reaching out to people on Couchsurfing before I left home but really didn't have much luck--I don't have patience to copy and paste messages to more than 5 people--so I ended up in hotels every night. Next day I stopped at a Harley store I saw on the way and purchased a facemask, as my helmet is faceless. I have come to depend on that facemask in a big way in Patagonia.

2nd night ended up in Macon, Georgia. Another cheap motel--Days Inn? Wanted to hit up a Mexican restaurant nearby but closed at 10 PM??? Micky Dees it is.

Can't believe this worked.
[IMG]005[/IMG]

3rd day I was introduced to the Florida Turnpike. Apparently the Sunpass lanes are only for people with Sunpass. Who knew.

I hate tolls, but love citrus...sitting right next to the gas pumps.
[IMG]007[/IMG]

I made it to Miami just as the sun was setting. Lots of cars but it was pretty smooth. I never thought I could enjoy riding around major cities, but riding around Miami and going through Atlanta at night was actually a blast. At the hotel, three of my good friends were waiting for me.
[IMG]008[/IMG]

I touched base with my customs broker and we made plans to meet the next day for crating the bike. I feel so many different emotions right now...
[IMG]010[/IMG]

After dropping off the bike, the only thing to do was get a flight. I'd been eyeing a business class fare that seemed too good to be true, but it would check off a major bullet on my bucket list so I pulled the trigger.
[IMG]011[/IMG]

Yeaaaaa booiiiiii!!!!! To get to the business class lounge at Miami airport you have to go through the sliding glass doors and up two escalators, through more sliding glass doors, to a woman who eyes you up and down and is half a second from telling you that this is not a public restroom and you'll have to leave. I showed her my business class ticket and I was in the lap of luxury. I sat near two women who were discussing the most important distinctions among coffee sweeteners. Bloody mary and headphones for me.

On the plane, I had row 1 to myself...this'll never happen again.
[IMG]012[/IMG]

After a brief layover in Lima, I arrived in Santiago de Chile around 4 AM local time...
Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 738
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
DHC-2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Nothin' SPORTY about that luggage load! Looking forward to following your trip
DHC-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I am in!!!
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
RichardHead
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Awesome!! I love sportsters, can't wait to read some more.

Best of luck, and stay safe!!
RichardHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Do try to keep me posted on how well your 1200cc did down there and if there was any challenging in finding a premium fuel off the main road?

I had a 883 but converted it into a high performance 1200cc with Buell Thunderstorm heads, 10.5 high compression pistons, .536 cams, and it is chopper style so when I decided I would use the sportster from Deadhorse to Ushuaia I am now converting the motor again. This time I am going with 2004-2006 heads, and 04+ cylinder jugs, forged aluminum pistons, and a stock "W" cams. I will do a .030" clearance between piston and chamber on head so it can handle poor octane fuel. Kinda curious as to how your Sporty will handle fuel down there..

Thanks for doing the RR!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 179
In

IN!!!!
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
marcus22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Me in Kuwait hanging with Five Finger Death Punch
[IMG]55DP[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I dont recognize the redneck photo, but I do remember those blinds at the chow hall in Kuwait. I was at the same base at the same time, never made it to the five finger death punch meet and greet. had to work.

sweet ride and have fun!
marcus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member

Oddometer: 135
That's really jumping into it. May I ask how much it costs to ship the bike ? I like the idea of just suddenly being there.
I look forward to your adventure.
Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
FateMaker OP
Adventurer

whoa...

Man you just blew my mind with all that. I'm a new rider who knows f-all about my own bike and somehow I've managed just fine, learning as I go. And I've made no significant modifications to my bike--I added heated grips, luggage rack, and a power port.

In Chile and Argentina (the only 2 SA countries I've been to so far) I haven't had trouble finding premium fuel, though I have yet to determine if they use a different octane rating scale than the US--anybody know? I think it's RON, not AKI.

The more remote places it is often a challenge to get premium, and several times I have arrived to find a town is completely out of gas. Usually once a day I stress myself out thinking I'm going to run out of fuel...though I never have, knock on wood. Off the main road, yeah you could get screwed. If I could learn to ease off the throttle I could lower my blood pressure a little, but that's no fun.

I would recommend making your suspension more gravel/washboard road friendly if you haven't already. But I feel my road tires have been sufficient. Keep in mind I have no plans to go to Bolivia, Peru, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Do try to keep me posted on how well your 1200cc did down there and if there was any challenging in finding a premium fuel off the main road?

I had a 883 but converted it into a high performance 1200cc with Buell Thunderstorm heads, 10.5 high compression pistons, .536 cams, and it is chopper style so when I decided I would use the sportster from Deadhorse to Ushuaia I am now converting the motor again. This time I am going with 2004-2006 heads, and 04+ cylinder jugs, forged aluminum pistons, and a stock "W" cams. I will do a .030" clearance between piston and chamber on head so it can handle poor octane fuel. Kinda curious as to how your Sporty will handle fuel down there..

Thanks for doing the RR!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateMaker View Post
I would recommend making your suspension more gravel/washboard road friendly if you haven't already. But I feel my road tires have been sufficient. Keep in mind I have no plans to go to Bolivia, Peru, etc.
Yes, I can imagine and I got that one covered with a plan to use this: Work's Performance Shocks. Works Performance will design the shocks based on rider's height/weight and for what purpose. I am using KTM 525 fork and Applied Racing Triple Tree on mine as it should bolt on just right without any modification required.

Ok, sorry to hijack your RR but thought I would share with you what I am planning.. So carry on with your RR and I look forward to whatever your fate take you as I like that!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #13
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee View Post
That's really jumping into it. May I ask how much it costs to ship the bike ? I like the idea of just suddenly being there.
I look forward to your adventure.
If I may suggest?? If you are really looking to save $$ and doesn't mind start your riding in Venezuela, you can have your bike cargo and shipped to Venezuela for rough $600. I know I am planning this for returned trip back to home as I have buddies living in Miami I can stay while waiting for bike to clear the custom.

Maybe FateMaker can fill you in with his shipping cost to wherever he had it shipping (assuming it is Chile).
Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,175
Cool to watch !
So, it's your first rodeo and you ship to a different continent ? You win !

How are you set for tools ? Are you tire repair / inflate ready ?

I'll be watching this.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Hell yeah!

Way to go man! Good to see someone representing on a Harley! As a fellow Veteran, Harley Owner, and ADVrider who is also currently riding south america, I salute you!

Do the locals like your bike? Have you seen any other Harleys yet?
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote