ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Trail Attacks work terrific on the road...

That's tough to watch.

Why would anyone use that Conti on a d-s/adv bike, for its intended purpose? "Trail Attack"? yeah.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
That's tough to watch.

Why would anyone use that Conti on a d-s/adv bike, for its intended purpose? "Trail Attack"? yeah.
I actually thought they worked pretty damn good on hardpack and gravel. A bit loose but allot of fun. Specially if you dropped them to 25ish
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Enduro 3 sahara 140/80 on the back, Anakee2 on the front. Perfect on the street, very good off it.
Interesting. I run Anakee2 front and rear. Tried a set of Conti TA and sold them after playing about with tyre pressures and never able to get them feeling as good as the Anakee2 on pavement.

Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,255
I'd probably run that a\Anakee on the rear for street work and a little dirt road if it came in an 18 inch rear . Oh well.. I had a beemer buddy that took his big GS all over the place with an Anakee pushing him through some pretty loose/crappy road.

Is it me or do the trail attacks look real similar to the road attacks or even the sport attacks for that matter. Funny they put trail in the name even. Maybe gravel road attacks..
Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Just put contis on my Duc. So far I am happy, but only road miles so far. Only "trail" tires available in wide 17"s. (180/190s). If I didn't have two bikes, i could see having a set of these on the street rims for the SE. I hated the scorps on the Duc. Cupped quickly up front (much quickedr than the Distanzia SM compound) and rear wore quickly and punctured easily.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
midfat OP
wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer: 204
I had similar experiences with the Scorps on my SE. They cupped up front and wore out way too fast out back. The Anakee would be a possibility if they came in an 18" rear. I'll install the Conti's over the holiday break. I spooned on a 908 last August. OMG. Almost knocked my teeth out when the tire iron slipped. Hope the Conti's are a less dramatic install.
midfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #22
KKE
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Conti TA

On my second rear TA first one lasted about 4000 miles. Front still got good life left in it.Am hoping to get 1 front to 2 rears. Good grip but only used on the road. Rear rim pulls the 150 tyre in quite a bit so am looking for a Adventure rear wheel.
KKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #23
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by codys View Post

Is it me or do the trail attacks look real similar to the road attacks or even the sport attacks for that matter. Funny they put trail in the name even. Maybe gravel road attacks..
Same basic pattern but deeper grooves and a little more open as well. They do surprisingly well offroad as long as its dry. I had mine on all the way across Nevada and a lot of Utah on dirt. Real Good on Slickrock too.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
I've been happy with them on the 950 ADV which I consider my "Street Bike with Super Powers."

Looking at the tread pattern I expected them to perform a lot worse on dirt and gravel roads than they actually do. It was a pleasant surprise. They aren't knobbys, but something about them does an admirable job, considering.

When they get thin the last one did get magnetized somehow. I kept finding nails and screws stuck in it. But I could almost see the air inside through the tread too.

For the money these are a great value if you ride 70% or more road miles.

I recently spooned the second rear on without much drama.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
ktm55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
I actually thought they worked pretty damn good on hardpack and gravel. A bit loose but allot of fun. Specially if you dropped them to 25ish
If the tire pressure is dropped to 25psi or less isn't it likely to spin the tire on the rim and rip out the valve stem? Do they make rim locks for the wide rims that come on the 990 Adv?
ktm55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm55 View Post
If the tire pressure is dropped to 25psi or less isn't it likely to spin the tire on the rim and rip out the valve stem? Do they make rim locks for the wide rims that come on the 990 Adv?
I've never spun a tire on the rim at those pressures. I'd start worrying about that personally around 15ish on the 950 which is really to low for the big bike anyhow.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #27
Bannisdale
....snowing now!

Oddometer: 209
Trail Attacks

Great road tyre, Hopeless on anything but bone dry gravel roads.

The carcase on these is VERY flexible and thin, wich is great for the contact patch on road but make them very prone to punctures (and boy do they come off the rim fast when you get one!). The tyre feels very soft to ride on like you've not got enough air in so it makes for a comfortable ride.
I had a few issues with the rear overheating with spirited two up riding (the edge of the tyre starts to chew up and everything gets a bit squirley) but the tyre gave no sign of letting go.

Braking is fantastic with these and wet weather confidence is good too.

I don't know how they do it but with all that grip they manage to last forever! at least 50% longer than the Scorps.

Buy some and try (just don't go offroad in the wet once they let go, you'll never save it!)
Old 12-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
The only problem is they dont wear out. ten K miles on mine when I pulled em and sold em.
That's one complaint that I have as well. I put Trail Attacks on my 990 Adv when it looked like I would be doing lots of freeway commuting and very little dirt riding. Since then I've moved and want a more dirt oriented tire, but hate to buy new tires before the old ones are worn out and it seems like they're lasting forever.

The other complaint is that it seemed to take a lot of weights to balance them, and then they needed to be rebalanced once they had worn down a bit.

I'm quite happy with the traction on twisty roads, comparing them to various sport touring tires that I used to run on my Ducati ST2.

They seem to work just fine on regular dirt roads - I haven't tried them on more serious dirt yet, but expect them to be not very good in mud or loose stuff.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #29
Central Cali Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Well, I stuck a set of Conti Trail Attacks on my 950Adv excepting to do a cross county ride last summer. Well that did not happen due to my buddy's funds, so we spent 2 weeks in Colorado. I can say they went everywhere my buddy's 950Adv with Scorps went. No single track, but many passes both dirt and asphalt and the Alpine Loop. I got the looks from the Xr650's and DZ400's shaking their heads. Making it everywhere they went, I was the one laughing afterwards... Now it never rained so I can not comment on the wet as I know it would not be pretty.
2006 Suzuki SV1000S for wifey Sold !
1997 KLR650 For sale SOLD !!
Central Cali Rider is offline   Reply With Quote