User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #1036
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,902
JC will be in the TOP 10
BOOK IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #1037
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
JC will be in the TOP 10
BOOK IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1 - 10th .

Personally I think he has been holding back and will be quicker come the event!

JC is a champion, Morocco was a test, this is the real thing

too old screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 11:48 AM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #1038
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Don't forget he has raced the Dakar before and had a pretty high finish... But that was in 01 (I think)...

Edit, it was 01, and he got 8th on a XR650, but I would be surprised to see him in the top 20 this year.

Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #1039
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,458
The dude can win this race .. before he didnt have any roadbook savy and couldnt play the game .. I can see him in the top 5 barring injury or breakdown
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #1040
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
I hope you guys are right but I am am concerned he pushes too hard with all the pressure and does a Cody on us. I remember Quin Cody rode outstandingly well in 2011, and in 2012 he was aiming for a top three for sure, the way he was riding was very different to the year before, you could see it on the cameras everyday before he crashed on the 3rd day.

Its one thing to ride 100% in an enduro or even the Baja but to do it for 8 hours/day 14 days in a row is asking for trouble.

If Kurt can hold himself back a little, ride fast when the opportunity arises but within his means, and navigate flawlessly, then he could do very well. Without taking anything away from his ability I just think coming 9th 11 years ago is a little different to 9th today, when the top 30-40 guys are all champions.

Not that I am really qualified to say any of this - its just my observation. Wish I could ride like Kurt myself.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #1041
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
I think JC's too experienced a racer to throw it away in the first few days of the race. I think the only thing that would derail a top 10 finish would be if he had to give up bike parts etc to Helder or Javier in an emergency,( which is his job as the "water carrier" ).
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #1042
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
I hope you guys are right but I am am concerned he pushes too hard with all the pressure and does a Cody on us. I remember Quin Cody rode outstandingly well in 2011, and in 2012 he was aiming for a top three for sure, the way he was riding was very different to the year before, you could see it on the cameras everyday before he crashed on the 3rd day.

Its one thing to ride 100% in an enduro or even the Baja but to do it for 8 hours/day 14 days in a row is asking for trouble.

If Kurt can hold himself back a little, ride fast when the opportunity arises but within his means, and navigate flawlessly, then he could do very well. Without taking anything away from his ability I just think coming 9th 11 years ago is a little different to 9th today, when the top 30-40 guys are all champions.

Not that I am really qualified to say any of this - its just my observation. Wish I could ride like Kurt myself.
Kurt has multiple International Six Days Enduros under his belt (more than JC). He knows how to pace. Kurt also has much more experience than QC, (I'm a huge QC fan). JC is NOT in as good of physical condition as he has been in years gone by and he has said so himself.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #1043
GearedUp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
After riding with Robby I think JC has learned some of the things not to do.
GearedUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #1044
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
While yes Johnny is smart, talented, & experienced I'm not so sure he'll be running in the top 15.

Eric (lead mechanic at JCR for those of you who don't know) is not JC's personal mechanic there. Eric will oversee certain aspects of all 3 bikes but not technically concentrate on any single one.
But that being said and if you know Eric, he'll take care of the Boss.
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #1045
Ciampa
Baja 2010!

Oddometer: 466
JC is downplaying playing it. This is his big comeback moment. Cue "Eye of the Tiger."

Ciampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #1046
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,349
When I spoke with JC in Zagora, Morocco in the bivouac, he also downplayed his role saying he was the water carrier and getting too old at 41 to being going so fast. And I thought, yeah right, when he gets out there he's going to nail it.

It's in his nature!

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #1047
Ciampa
Baja 2010!

Oddometer: 466
December 21, 2012
Coma Out Of Dakar, Kurt Caselli In!
Caselli Will Ride Coma's Factory KTM
Cycle News

AMA National Hare and Hound Champion Kurt Caselli will make his Dakar Rally debut as a replacement rider for rally legend Marc Coma, who is still suffering from the effects of the shoulder he injured in the Morocco Rally in October, KTM announced this morning.

"We always took the precaution to have a reserve rider properly registered in case of such circumstances and it will be KTM USA's Kurt Caselli who will step in to ride Coma's bike," said KTM factory team manager Alex Doringer. "We want him to ride the Dakar without any pressure, embrace the adventure and learn from the experience."

In addition to his numerous wins in all sorts of domestic off-road events, Caselli was a member of the KTM team that recently finished second in the 2012 edition of the Baja 1000. Caselli's start number is yet to be confirmed.

"It has always been a goal in my career to compete in the Dakar," Caselli said. "There would be no way possible for me to achieve this without the ongoing support of KTM. To be able to race the greatest off-road race in the world aboard the best bike in the world is truly a blessing. This is not only a milestone in my career but also in my life."

KTM has won 11 straight Dakar Rallies with Coma winning three of those. The Spaniard's last win in the race came in 2011.

"We worked really hard with the doctors and the physiotherapists right up until the last minute but we have to be realistic," Coma said. "One of the muscles in my shoulder is still giving me problems and there is a lack of movement. This is the logical consequence and we must be honest and clear about the situation."

The 5000-mile race will start in Lima, Peru on January 5 and will take competitors through Peru, Argentina and Chile.

"Marc is one of our key riders and together with his teammate Cyril Despres has giving KTM the last seven Dakar titles," Doringer said. "While we are disappointed that he is unable to ride, the health and welfare of our factory riders is the most important consideration. If he is not 100 percent fit, it is better for him to sit out the 2013 rally."

Coma, who will now concentrate his efforts on regaining complete fitness ahead of the rest of the 2013 season and looking forward to the Dakar 2014, said he was sad for the team but underlined that the Dakar is a 'winning project' for KTM so there was no alternative than to make this announcement. Doringer said he hoped Coma would be at the start in Lima to wish the team well and see them launch their attack.
Ciampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #1048
Enduro10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
When I spoke with JC in Zagora, Morocco in the bivouac, he also downplayed his role saying he was the water carrier and getting too old at 41 to being going so fast. And I thought, yeah right, when he gets out there he's going to nail it.

It's in his nature!
In 2002 I bougth a XR650 due to JC victory's at Baja 1000. The guy is my idol since then...As Zanol won't be racing, JC is the one I'll follow.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #1049
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
Many may consider JC too long in the tooth, but if I was any other top contender in this field... the last person I'd want riding on my heels is JC, PERIOD.

If you haven't seen him when he's riding in his zone... Watch The F*&k Out!!!

Many accomplished Dakar veterans say that the road books favor those who read french. And that the navigational language can make or break any good rider's Dakar campaign.

What JC may lack in youth, he makes up for in his navigation experience from last year, and his competitive desert riding pedigree.

I don't think JC expects to win the Dakar... but there's a serious Dakar slaying monster resting inside of his helmet that could get unleashed at any moment.

And you can bet Robbie Gordon will create helpful interference any opportunity he can.

I'd want to be on the right side of both of those two.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #1050
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Many may consider JC too long in the tooth, but if I was any other top contender in this field... the last person I'd want riding on my heels is JC, PERIOD.

If you haven't seen him when he's riding in his zone... Watch The F*&k Out!!!

I don't think JC expects to win the Dakar... but there's a serious Dakar slaying monster resting inside of his helmet that could get unleashed at any moment.

And you can bet Robbie Gordon will create helpful interference any opportunity he can.
I'd want to be on the right side of both of those two.
JC is there to support and assist the HRC team and Helder, that he will do 100%

One thing he will do (machine permitting) is to stay with Helder to the finish - job done

Go Johnny