Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #1561
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
I can't speak to restriction of air flow in one filter type vs another. Dynamometer measurements would be needed to prove which is best and I'm dubious of dyno runs done by a product vendor. No conflict of interest there...

One of my hobbies is oil analysis, so I can speak to filter efficiency (ability to trap dirt). After looking at hundreds of oil analysis reports and experimenting with my own car and bike, I can say that oiled foam and paper both have excellent efficiency (if the foam is oiled correctly). Oiled gauze ranges from pretty good efficiency to awful depending on how much oil is used. Both my car and bike had paper filters OEM, and I had lots of good baseline oil analysis reports before switching to UNI oiled foam filters and BelRay foam filter oil. Silicon and wear metals were no better or worse than paper after switching to oiled foam.

The problem with oiled foam and gauze is that it's very important to use enough oil and distribute the oil evenly throughout the filter. Also, the oil has to be thick enough that gravity and air flow don't force the oil away from certain parts of the filter. I'm going back to the OEM paper filter in my car because I'm sick of cleaning and oiling the foam filter.

I don't have any experience with the "viscous" filter Honda is using in the CBR250R and CRF250L, but I suspect it's very efficient. In any case, I would not experiment with non-OEM air filters without having a good oil analysis baseline with stock so that I can verify that the new filter is working. Dirt is extremely abrasive stuff and it doesn't take much to do a lot of damage quickly.
I agree; I trust the OEM paper filter designed by Honda for the CRF250L. Uni foam filters are good, as are BelRay and No-Toil filter oils. However, Best Dual Sport Bikes has designed a new filter cage for their Uni foam filter, and I am not sure it will properly seal along its edges.

In contrast, you can see the edges of the OEM paper filter are lined with foam, and the inside of the filter has a square notch which inserts into the opening in the air box.

I would better trust a foam filter cage which is designed with the same base as the OEM CRF250L filter. Perhaps No-Toil, Uni, or another vendor will design such a filter cage in the future.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 09:45 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #1562
outdoornate65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
The first LOW seat is out of the mold, will be ready to start shipping late next week.

Bundy
Merry Christmas to me!!!!

Thanks guys.
outdoornate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #1563
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
The first LOW seat is out of the mold, will be ready to start shipping late next week.

Bundy
Hmmmm... what to do.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #1564
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
Now that I see a close up of the Uni prototype, it looks like a plate has been devised that it covers over theair box inlet and adapt an existing element that'll go in the box....so far not an optimized solution....Paper without the backfire screen seems a better intermediate solution
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #1565
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Now that I see a close up of the Uni prototype, it looks like a plate has been devised that it covers over theair box inlet and adapt an existing element that'll go in the box....so far not an optimized solution....Paper without the backfire screen seems a better intermediate solution
That's exactly my point, Ed.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 12-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #1566
zoldar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Does anyone know the torque value for the 2 front sprocket bolts?

Thanks!
zoldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #1567
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoldar View Post
Does anyone know the torque value for the 2 front sprocket bolts?

Thanks!
9 lb-ft....108 in-lb
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #1568
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrooks View Post

Several more pics of the seat concepts seat. After several rides, it is much more comfortable than stock.
Is this the red gripper carbon?
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #1569
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

I don't think this review has been mentioned in this thread. Motorcycle.com just posted a comparison between the Honda CRF250L and the Kawaski KLX250S. Here's the video summary of the comparsion.

Here's a link to the associated article at Motorcycle.com.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...ampaign=weekly

Motorcycle.com says the Honda suspension performs well enough compared to the Kawasaki. Therefore, the lower price of the Honda CRF250L, combined with its high tech, fuel injected engine, makes it the winner over the Kawasaki KLX250S.

Spud
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #1570
nbrooks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
Is this the red gripper carbon?
They called it the Red Carbon, which is on the sides. The black gripper is on the top.
nbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #1571
tmaxx222
XR Rider

Oddometer: 4
Question to any owners who have ridden the crf250L offroad in the desert, how does it handle whoops? Compared to lets say the drz400 or dr350's suspension. Im really looking to upgrade my old xl250 which is not in my eyes worth rebuilding the suspension and putting money in to when a brand new bikes is so cheap and most likely much much better.

I guess my main question is how fast can you comfortably go offroad on the crf250L on a not smooth road, I've seen some review videos posted hear riding in southern cali trails but the didn't comment enough on its limits and Big Bear, Johnson Valley, Red Mountain are the areas I want to take it.
tmaxx222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #1572
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxx222 View Post
Question to any owners who have ridden the crf250L offroad in the desert, how does it handle whoops? Compared to lets say the drz400 or dr350's suspension. Im really looking to upgrade my old xl250 which is not in my eyes worth rebuilding the suspension and putting money in to when a brand new bikes is so cheap and most likely much much better.

I guess my main question is how fast can you comfortably go offroad on the crf250L on a not smooth road, I've seen some review videos posted hear riding in southern cali trails but the didn't comment enough on its limits and Big Bear, Johnson Valley, Red Mountain are the areas I want to take it.

should ask this in the owners thread might get a better response

In Loving Memory of Cruzin2B 1953 - 2014
SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #1573
zoldar
Adventurer

Plasti Dip progress pic. Fairing, fork protectors are next.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #1574
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoldar View Post
Plasti Dip progress pic. Fairing, fork protectors are next.

Sharp!
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #1575
zoldar
Adventurer

Thanks Achtung!

Before and after shot.

zoldar screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 10:09 AM