User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
jstucki OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question Need Purchase Advice 2012 Beta 450RR

OK, a dealer in Indiana has a demo 2012 Beta 450RR with 15 hours for sale. He wants $6,900 for it. He said that he trail rode it and let other people try it. But he also said that he and his boy raced it in a hare scrambles. I'm a little worried that they raced it before the proper break in hours were up. He also said that it would not come with the factory warranty but that he would warranty it through his shop.

So, what's everybody's opinion? Should I role the dice on this one or wait and spend the extra 2 grand for a 2013?
jstucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,834
WELL THATS A HARD ONE ONLY YOU CAN MAKE YOUR MINE UP ON THAT,BUT IF YOU CAN WAIT AND DONT MIND SPENDING THE EXTRA $$$ THEN WHY NOT WAIT,NOTHING LIKE A NEW BIKE

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstucki View Post
OK, a dealer in Indiana has a demo 2012 Beta 450RR with 15 hours for sale.
Do us a favor and update your profile to list where you are located.

Anyways ... Are you near this dealer. Do you know them and trust them? If no to either, I wouldn't. Like you say, you're not sure how well it was broken in and if you don't know him, his warranty may not be worth much (how much is he offering btw, same as the factory 6mo that was voided by the hairscramble?)
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
jstucki OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
First post ever, I'll get my profile updated ASAP.

No where close(2.5HRs) to the dealer and have never dealt with them before. I live in Southern IN and Beta dealers are no where close!

I'll keep surfing the forums to see if they are dependable.
jstucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,668
Beta's are neat,KTM's are the standard these days and have a huge aftermarket support. I would make sure of what you want before parting with any cash.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 807
the Betas are solid bikes.. as long as the dealer was properly maintaining it.. you should be good..

buying a used bike is always a gamble.. but I've had two Betas (525 and 400) that work flawlessly.

quality bikes.. parts are pretty easy if you are used to ordering on the internet. there are a few dealers that will drop ship anything to you in 2 or 3 days.. I never lost a weekend of riding waiting for parts..

$6500 is a good price for 15 hr demo bike.. even if that was raced.. you are talking 5 national enduros or 7 two hour hare scrambles, etc.. if it was raced hard... that bike would show the scars of being hammered.always check under the bike while inspecting.. you can tell if it only has 15 hours on it by the chips, dents and dinks on the frame.. forks and swingarm.
also the clutch cover gets pretty worn out if it was used in muddy conditions. mud on the boot works like sand paper and trashes the coating

other Things to check would be the linkage bearings on the rear suspension.. they are prone to rusting if not properly lubed.

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote