09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #62
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
I hate this saying...if you're good enough to ride a slow bike fast, then why the hell would you be riding the fast bike slow.

I'll take riding a fast bike fast over a slow bike fast any day of the week
I've mostly seen it applied to street riding. Having and S1000RR and no place to exercise it is less fun than having a small bike you can ride like a maniac.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #63
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
I've mostly seen it applied to street riding. Having and S1000RR and no place to exercise it is less fun than having a small bike you can ride like a maniac.
I can see it to a point on the street...I certainly miss my TE610 for the twisties vs. my Tiger

Riding a SM vs. sport bike in the twisties is certainly not riding a slow bike fast (IMHO)...SM brakes and handles better

We derailed this thread quickly

01 Girlie
09 TE450
Old 12-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #64
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Riding a SM vs. sport bike in the twisties is certainly not riding a slow bike fast (IMHO)...SM brakes and handles better
You understand the idea, you're just getting hung up on the words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #65
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,688
Why has no one tried talking me into spending the big bucks on a wr250r? It is over budget, but no more than that ktm. Seems perfect for my needs if I can get over the $$$. I'm an easy sell for the right tool for the job
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #66
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Why has no one tried talking me into spending the big bucks on a wr250r? It is over budget, but no more than that ktm. Seems perfect for my needs if I can get over the $$$. I'm an easy sell for the right tool for the job
It's neither light nor cheap, so even though your first post mentions it, does it fit?

They weigh 300 pounds and mostly cost more than the competition. They do make nice dualsporters, but you have to really want bragging rights to use them in steep, switchbacked, technical stuff. They will do it geared something like 12/47, but they are tough to pick up out of the brush with the weight. In mixed twotrack and medium singletrack, they're barrels of fun.

The fuel injection does dispense with the black art of rejetting when you span large differences in altitudes. Good maint. intervals, engine is R1 technology, and showing to be pretty tough so far.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #67
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
The KTM I linked was close (location), and only $900 over your max budget...most WRR's are more than that.

Did you start looking at bikes in person yet?

01 Girlie
09 TE450
Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #68
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
It's neither light nor cheap, so even though your first post mentions it, does it fit?

They weigh 300 pounds and mostly cost more than the competition. They do make nice dualsporters, but you have to really want bragging rights to use them in steep, switchbacked, technical stuff. They will do it geared something like 12/47, but they are tough to pick up out of the brush with the weight. In mixed twotrack and medium singletrack, they're barrels of fun.

The fuel injection does dispense with the black art of rejetting when you span large differences in altitudes. Good maint. intervals, engine is R1 technology, and showing to be pretty tough so far.
Thanks You gave me great reasons not to, as well as a few in favor

Still learning...
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #69
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
The KTM I linked was close (location), and only $900 over your max budget...most WRR's are more than that.

Did you start looking at bikes in person yet?
Not yet. November/December are the busiest seasons for my business. I haven't had a minute of spare time, but I do now. I'd like to get something over the winter, so I'm ready for you to teach me how not to fall off come Spring
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #70
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Not yet. November/December are the busiest seasons for my business. I haven't had a minute of spare time, but I do now. I'd like to get something over the winter, so I'm ready for you to teach me how not to fall off come Spring
Oh no...I will be showing you how to dismount with style

01 Girlie
09 TE450
Old 12-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #71
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

My wife is lusting after a Husky TE250 at the local dealership, which means her DR350 may be for sale soon...

01 Girlie
09 TE450

bobnoxious67 screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 06:38 AM
Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #72
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/3400138573.html

SUZUKI DR 350 DUAL SPORT - $1800 (PUTNAM)

EXCELLENT COMMUTER. SUPER CLEAN DR 350. BIKE HAS BEEN BABIED ALL IT'S LIFE. MILAGE 6,028. NEW TIRES. ELECTRIC START. CURRENT CT REG.
ALL MANUALS AND FENDER BAG. FEMALE OWNED.SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY. CASH. 860-942-1021

Jim, I'm only on the first page of your thread,but now I know why you pm'd me. This would be something that I think would be perfect. I noticed I could not find a WR for under $3.5K no matter what the year when I was looking. I would not consider it a good beginner bike -but it is a good bike.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #73
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurkon View Post
I'd say all the suggestions are good ones (XT, XR, XL, or DR's) but one thing to keep in mind with the criteria that was identified....

The reason I suggest looking for a light bike, is that you WILL more easily adapt and learn to ride the dirt with many fewer get-off's. I have seen over and over again, new riders purchase a larger dirt bike and hurt themselves. Many times, that ends the dirt riding experiment and that is a shame since they really never became comfortable enough to get the the "enjoyment" part of riding the dirt.

Very good point
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #74
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
My wife is lusting after a Husky TE250 at the local dealership, which means her DR350 may be for sale soon...
Sounds like we might be able to work together to get your wife into something new
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 12-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #75
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Jim, I'm only on the first page of your thread,but now I know why you pm'd me. This would be something that I think would be perfect. I noticed I could not find a WR for under $3.5K no matter what the year when I was looking. I would not consider it a good beginner bike -but it is a good bike.

if i had the cash i would be getting the talked to by the wife on why i bought this bike

i would take the wr over the ktm any day, i work in a ktm shop.
ktm makes a good bike at a great bike price, better to race than the wr on the other hand

the dr, ect are trail bikes you can race, the ktm is a race bike you can ride on the road.
tdrrally is offline   Reply With Quote