could you reduce the picture size?
Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #122
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
could you reduce the picture size?
PC - "Ctrl -" to reduce size, Mac, "Command -", two keys simultaneously.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #123
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
I talked to the guy at the Ohlins booth at the Seattle Motorcycle Show and he said they are already developing a cartridge kit for the 2013 F800GS and it should be out soon. He also said it is going to be a lot cheaper than the kits in the past.
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #124
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 264
I just installed a set of Xchallenge cartridges with Ohlins .55 springs and 7.5 weight oil at the Ohlins recommended 60mm air gap.

I'm not sure how the Xchallenge gets 40mm more travel since the springs are the same part # as the F800GS and the cartridge bodies are actually 5mm longer then the F800's. the only thing I can think of is the 100lb weight difference and the preload spacer are what shorten the F800's travel. The fork legs extend within a few millimeters of where they did before install and of course the springs need to break in and settle so it should be the same.
I won't be able to ride it today since we are getting 30-40 mph wind gusts but the initial few rides around the block seemed promising and nose dive under braking is now limited and smooth versus the previous quick and jerky

I spent $300~ on this mod, $100 for the cartridges used, $140 for the springs and $40~ for oil and new bottom screw washers and now I have adjustable compression and rebound damping

Angryrican screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 06:36 AM
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #125
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,550
Ducksbane has the same mod and appears happy with the result. He is running Hyperpro springs. Am I correct that these are a straight bolt in? If so I assume 1 leg is for compression and the other rebound?
Old 12-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #126
Angryrican
know nothing all

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Ducksbane has the same mod and appears happy with the result. He is running Hyperpro springs. Am I correct that these are a straight bolt in? If so I assume 1 leg is for compression and the other rebound?
Yes, it is a direct swap. The left leg is compression and the right is rebound. This was not much harder then doing a fork service, 1.5 to 2 hrs tops!

Angryrican screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 09:14 PM
Old 12-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #127
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryrican View Post
Yes, it is a direct swap. The left leg is compression and the second is rebound. This was not much harder then doing a fork service, 1.5 to 2 hrs tops!
Where were you able to get the used forks from? Any modification on the ABS or brakes?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #128
Angryrican
know nothing all

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
Where were you able to get the used forks from? Any modification on the ABS or brakes?
here in the flea market, there was a guy selling two sets a few months back. You are just swapping cartridges and top cap so nothing else changes.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #129
Sohere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
I just installed a set of Xchallenge cartridges with Ohlins 55g springs and 7.5 weight oil at the Ohlins recommended 60mm air gap.

I'm not sure how the Xchallenge gets 40mm more travel since the springs are the same part # as the F800GS and the cartridge bodies are actually 5mm longer then the F800's. the only thing I can think of is the 100lb weight difference and the preload spacer are what shorten the F800's travel. The fork legs extend within a few millimeters of where they did before install and of course the springs need to break in and settle so it should be the same.
I won't be able to ride it today since we are getting 30-40 mph wind gusts but the initial few rides around the block seemed promising and nose dive under breaking is now limited and smooth versus the previous quick and jerky

I spent $300~ on this mod, $100 for the cartridges used, $140 for the springs and $40~ for oil and new bottom screw washers and now I have adjustable compression and rebound damping
So these X Challenge cartridges are only compatible with those of a 2013 F800GS?
Sohere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #130
Angryrican
know nothing all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohere View Post
So these X Challenge cartridges are only compatible with those of a 2013 F800GS?
They fit the 2012 and earlier bikes with the 45mm Marzocchi fork legs
Old 12-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #131
Angryrican
know nothing all

Quote:
I just installed a set of Xchallenge cartridges with Ohlins 55g springs and 7.5 weight oil at the Ohlins recommended 60mm air gap.

I won't be able to ride it today since we are getting 30-40 mph wind gusts but the initial few rides around the block seemed promising and nose dive under breaking is now limited and smooth versus the previous quick and jerky

So after measuring and looking at the different parts between the XChallenge this is what I found and concluded;

-The upper fork tubes are 40mm shorter on the Xchallenge allowing the extra 40mm of travel
-springs are the same part # between both bikes
-only the F800Gs has the preload spacer(most likely making up for the extra weight)
-as said before this is plug n' play for the F800gs and requires zero modification to fit

My first ride on pavement with a short but rocky 5 mile trail have proved promising so far, bike feels very planted on road and offroad it has become point and shoot vs. react and hold on for full stock(this is in conjunction with the Wilber's rear shock)

Angryrican screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 12:38 PM
Old 12-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #132
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
So what's the total travel?

I can't remember what the advertised travel of the F800 was standard, but I do remember using the cable tie measuring process and establishing that the advertised travel was a bit more generous than actual. Especially so after the Ohlins 0.55 springs went in.

having 300mm of travel now is magic. With proper damping it works so much better across all trail types.

I had the Showa forks rebuilt for my 650, with fast hard trail work as a reference. Plenty of air time was factored in. This has translated very well to the slightly heavier 800. Even with lighter spring rates than the Ohlins springs I had, the Showas work so much better that there really is no comparison.

I thought about the Xchallenge forks, but after talking to a guy that races one I was put off the idea. He reckoned I was better off looking at a complete swap. I'm glad I did now. There were some slight engineering glitches, but nothing insurmountable.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #133
Angryrican
know nothing all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
So what's the total travel?

I can't remember what the advertised travel of the F800 was standard, but I do remember using the cable tie measuring process and establishing that the advertised travel was a bit more generous than actual. Especially so after the Ohlins 0.55 springs went in.

having 300mm of travel now is magic. With proper damping it works so much better across all trail types.

I had the Showa forks rebuilt for my 650, with fast hard trail work as a reference. Plenty of air time was factored in. This has translated very well to the slightly heavier 800. Even with lighter spring rates than the Ohlins springs I had, the Showas work so much better that there really is no comparison.

I thought about the Xchallenge forks, but after talking to a guy that races one I was put off the idea. He reckoned I was better off looking at a complete swap. I'm glad I did now. There were some slight engineering glitches, but nothing insurmountable.
I've been using the amount of measurable lower tube or the distance between the bottom of the upper fork tube and the bottom crown of the inner tube/slider, with the bike on the center stand I get 252mm, with it on the side stand 208mm, with me on it(using a zip tie ) 187mm~ , stock travel is advertised at 230, usually you get about 20mm~ before it really bottoms out so the 252 is spot on. After taking the bike for a few hours ride it is within a few millimeters of pre conversion measurements. The 187mm distance is within the recommend 25% sag.
The one thing I noticed today is how smooth and stable the bike feels on the highway and how much easier it is to ride over 70 mph. I have a slightly worn TKC80 with about 4500 miles on it and it felt really smooth for the first time.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #134
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Yeah, we've talked about the wobbles in the front end before, and ITSATDM came to the same conclusion as me, or I came to the same as him, whatever....that dropping the front in the triples about 20mm seemed to fix the front end shake.

The Showas have made it a bit taller in the front. I thought that this would translate to a very shaky head wobble. Quite the contrary. I looked at the amount of offset in the axle clamps on the Showas compared to the standard forks and there wasn't any great difference.

It seems to me, that at the standard ride height, you are right in the zone where instability occurs. Raise it, it gets better. Lower it, it gets better.

With the taller front, and the taller rear, I can only just get the rear tyre off the ground on the center stand on concrete. On dirt, the tyre is still in contact. I have the triples lowered on the Showas about 20mm. If I raise the front to full height I can't get the rear wheel off the ground. But it rides really nice on gravel set up like that.

I might just lengthen the center stand.

I got a bit carried away on Sunday and launched the bike off a cattle grid with wifey on the back. covered a good 20 paces off the ground and landed perfectly. Just the hint of a ding as the bashplate kissed the gravel. Wifey was floating with her feet off the pegs and her bum hovering above the seat and her nails dug firmly into my kidneys. She was pissed off and elated at the same time.

For me, that is really the ultimate test. 2 up, punch some air, land like it should solo.

It only took about $4500 to get there. Factored onto the cost of the bike, and all the other accessories, I still have change from a new KTM990. So glad I didn't go down that road now. I'd be looking at spending money all over again.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #135
Angryrican
know nothing all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Yeah, we've talked about the wobbles in the front end before, and ITSATDM came to the same conclusion as me, or I came to the same as him, whatever....that dropping the front in the triples about 20mm seemed to fix the front end shake.

The Showas have made it a bit taller in the front. I thought that this would translate to a very shaky head wobble. Quite the contrary. I looked at the amount of offset in the axle clamps on the Showas compared to the standard forks and there wasn't any great difference.

It seems to me, that at the standard ride height, you are right in the zone where instability occurs. Raise it, it gets better. Lower it, it gets better.

With the taller front, and the taller rear, I can only just get the rear tyre off the ground on the center stand on concrete. On dirt, the tyre is still in contact. I have the triples lowered on the Showas about 20mm. If I raise the front to full height I can't get the rear wheel off the ground. But it rides really nice on gravel set up like that.

I might just lengthen the center stand.

I got a bit carried away on Sunday and launched the bike off a cattle grid with wifey on the back. covered a good 20 paces off the ground and landed perfectly. Just the hint of a ding as the bashplate kissed the gravel. Wifey was floating with her feet off the pegs and her bum hovering above the seat and her nails dug firmly into my kidneys. She was pissed off and elated at the same time.

For me, that is really the ultimate test. 2 up, punch some air, land like it should solo.

It only took about $4500 to get there. Factored onto the cost of the bike, and all the other accessories, I still have change from a new KTM990. So glad I didn't go down that road now. I'd be looking at spending money all over again.
I haven't put it thru it's paces yet but I think I got what I wanted which was some tuning ability, much better ride quality and rid of the squat and nose dive under braking(I use it to commute in New York City traffic a few times a week). If I don't find it up to speed long term at least it's a stop plug until the new Ohlins cartridges become available