Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,085
Bought my 09 690r new in August 2009 and have no plans to get rid of it. My number one bike! Enjoy yours! Did a week in Baja last April and the bike was perfect for that. It is the best for being able to do highway and still be very good off road and not require tons of maintenance. It hits the sweet spot.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
Themastermike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
sandbar

"After several miles on a levee road I cut toward the river and came out on a huge sandbar. The 690 rocks in the deep sand. A near record low Mississippi River in the background."

Where did you cut down onto the sandbar at? I'm not pickin it out
Themastermike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurkon View Post

Any feedback on how this bike compares to your past DS bikes? I'm expecting it's heads and tails above most DS bikes, but give us the skinny!
Yeah, what he said.

I had a 950SE for 5 years and 25,000 miles. I'd like your opinion on the differences on- and off-road.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #19
kanur OP
cu new er

Oddometer: 697
Thanks Gary, You need to come back down and go for another ride.

Themastermike, that sandbar is about a 2 miles south of the Cape Girardeau bridge, directly across from the SEMO Port.

As for more about the 690 the weather went to crap and I have not had it out again but I think it just may be close to what I am looking for.

The 400 EXC is the best dirt bike for me I have ever owned but is not much fun on the road.

The SE is great on all types of paved roads and very capable off road if the rider is up to the job. I've traveled around Colorado with it on the better jeep roads and high passes and loved it. But I'm not a big or tall Guy and on tight trails or slick stuff or that sand bar you don't have to pick it up very many times to be exhausted :

I spent about an hour and a half one day trying to drag it out of one of those ruts in the hill picture I posted and thought I was gonna have the big one

My first dualsport was a 640 Adventure and I liked it a lot and it did most things pretty good. On a good twisty paved rode it was fun but on a plain old hwy after about an hour it was not so much. That is going to be the test for the 690. I can tell it is going to be fine off road but I only had it on a little paved roads. What I could tell is that it was much smoother than the 640 and it is very happy at 70+ mph.

There is some very good riding about an hour and a half of straight hwy from me and that will be a good test. It's not going to be an SE but I believe it is going to be better than anything I've tried. I just can't resist the kool-aid

These are the turn signals, I'm gonna have to get some for my other bikes. These things are bright.
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/s...me.php?cat=407
Old 12-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,766
Any new to you bike is cool but a 690 is a bit special. Nice pics
Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #21
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanur View Post

The SE is great on all types of paved roads and very capable off road if the rider is up to the job. I've traveled around Colorado with it on the better jeep roads and high passes and loved it. But I'm not a big or tall Guy and on tight trails or slick stuff or that sand bar you don't have to pick it up very many times to be exhausted :

I spent about an hour and a half one day trying to drag it out of one of those ruts in the hill picture I posted and thought I was gonna have the big one

My first dualsport was a 640 Adventure and I liked it a lot and it did most things pretty good. On a good twisty paved rode it was fun but on a plain old hwy after about an hour it was not so much. That is going to be the test for the 690. I can tell it is going to be fine off road but I only had it on a little paved roads. What I could tell is that it was much smoother than the 640 and it is very happy at 70+ mph.
I actually had a 640Adv before the 950SE, and had two sets of wheels for it in an effort to use it as an only bike. It didn't have enough power for my riding with my streetbike buds, so I upgraded to the SE. That cured the power problem without giving up much, if anything, off-pavement. I guess the SE was kind of a compromise between a big street or adventure bike, and a 600-class dual-sport. It was huge fun, but I was trying to talk myself into selling it within a year of buying it. It took over 4 years to convince myself to do it.

But, I was really missing riding in the woods, so I sold the SE and got an old 'Zook streetbike and a 530EXC. The 530 is kind of a compromise between a 600-class dual-sport and a true woods bike: manageable in the woods, and bearable on the street.

Now, oddly enough, what I miss most about the 640 is riding it on the street. I love a big thumper on the street. So, the 690, helped by some recent discussions with friends who plan to get one, is on the radar.

I guess to cover all my riding bases, I need three bikes.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #22
MuddySump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Nice first ride for your new bike, good test to see what its really like

www.youtube.com/muddysump
MuddySump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #23
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
690's SUCK.

When you dont have one.
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #24
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I have a friend with one of those. I like doing long wheelies (pretty good at them on my 'Berg 450) and want to bum a ride on his 690 for obvious reasons

Nice bike. Enjoy!
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Oddometer: 202
n I am not sure I want to have to choose between three bikes. If you had been a little slower I would own this puppy though... saw the ad just after you claimed it and it was just up the road dammit. lol.

I would ask for a little more commentary on the distinctions between this bike and the 530. I just grabbed a 2003 525 and was thinking to fix it up a touch and trade to a 690.

I weigh around 250 and my 525 needs work but still need a lot more low end I think. The 525 is pretty close but I am thinking 690 may be better given my size and desire for a baha capable machine.

I normally run around on east tn mountain single track but want a dune eater too.

BTW... thanks for the link on the signal lights! huge issue solved on my 525!

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
DriftDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurkon View Post
I've really been looking hard a couple new bikes, either a pair of 690's or a 500 exc and 350 exc for the wife and I to ride when not on the adventure bikes.
From what I have read the 350 isn't easier to ride than the 500. Less torque with the 350, so more revs required. An older but very good Ontario rider, Warren Thaxter bought a new 350 EXC this past season, and sold it almost immediately, replaced it a 500 EXC, because he said he prefers torque to revs, and the weight difference isn't significant.

Just saying, you might consider a pair of 500s.