User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
h2oplayer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
2013 xc-w 450

So I just picked up a new xcw450. While the dealer was doing the PDI they could not get it to fire off. They swapped plugs checked injectors and finally realized the fuel pump was not coming on. They pulled the tank off another bike and plugged it in. Things fired right up. Then they swapped back in the original tank, bike fired right off. They never really figured out what the issue was it just started to work.

I find this concerning. Has this happened to anyone else out here and if so were you able to figure out what the cause was?
LC4 six days

Some of my past rides
GSXR1000, FZ1, ZX-10, CBR1000F Hurricane
Sabre V65. CB1100F, CB900F, CB750F, CB750K
Kawasaki 750 H2 Triple, RD350 and RZ350
YZ250F, KDX200, Elsinore MT125
h2oplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
As a '10 Husaberg FE 450 rider (KTM fuel injection guenea pig in other words) I have experience fuel pump failure. KTM should have it dialed by now, have not heard reports of the newer bikes having pump problems like the original FI 'Bergs did. The problem with those was the impeller was too tight to the housing and it would lock up when hot.

If the bike does not start, an easy way to tell if the pump is working it to briefly tap the starter button. You should hear the pump run for a couple of seconds. If ever on the trail and the bike does not start, don't drain the battery cranking it, let it cool and tap the button, listen for the whir. If it does not whir, clap the tank with your hands to vibrate the pump. This has gotten me out of the woods twice If that ever happens to you, replace the pump before riding again. Once they stick (usually during a slow section where the bike gets good and hot) they are done. The pump will stick again and again, with more frequency. This is the original 'Berg experience. I do think KTM has that issue figured out now. If not, CA Cycleworks sells a $125 pump we 'Berg guys have been using that has proven to be bulletproof.

Hoping your case you just had a bad connection from new. That is probably what it was.

Another thing - KTM, for whatever reason, has dicked around a lot with fuel filtration on their FI bikes. I put a filter for a Can-Am fuel injected quad on by 'Berg in the fuel line. It is a small canister type, filters to 11 microns, costs $15. No plugged injectors at 100 hours, and doubt it ever will. The in tank filter (Mahle) is not adequate. Not sure if KTM is still doing the tiny filter up by the injector. Their earlier efforts with that were a disaster - it was really small and fine (10 microns) and clogged easily They went to a 20 micron filter, which is a bit coarse for my taste. The 'Berg guys take those puny things out and run an inline small cannister Can-Am filter, or the blingy Golan billet aluminum filter (10 microns).

Some of us worrywort types (which includes me) take the pump out and safety wire the housing and gently secure the wiring. The idea is to keep things together during the pounding an dirt bike endures. Seems like a wise setup precaution. FI rocks when it is right. The key is to make sure it is right. I will take my FI bike anywhere with confidence now. It has been 100% perfect since replacing the original pump, which was a known issue. Sure love the immediate bog free response, regardless of elevation and temp, which is a great trait for a bike to have here in mountainous Colorado.

If I had your bike (awesome ride by the way!) I would pull the pump myself, make sure all the connections are tight, wire the housing and rock on. I mention the trailside starter button tapping / tank slapping desperation tips in the event they are ever needed. I hope not, and at this point doubt it. Just in case though :)

Duken4evr screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 03:32 PM
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
h2oplayer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Dunken4evr, thanks for the input. I am hoping it was as simple as a plug not seated but it drives me crazy not knowing, time will tell.

I want to plate this. I have seen a number of kits out there. What is the best quality kit out there?
LC4 six days

Some of my past rides
GSXR1000, FZ1, ZX-10, CBR1000F Hurricane
Sabre V65. CB1100F, CB900F, CB750F, CB750K
Kawasaki 750 H2 Triple, RD350 and RZ350
YZ250F, KDX200, Elsinore MT125
h2oplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
motomark39
I reckon so

Oddometer: 1,061
Fi

Sounds like the pump plug in was not seated as you mentioned. SICASS racing has plug and play kits. You should read up on installation of a Golan Super Mini filter. i have had three fuel injected KTms without a FI hiccup.