Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #1186
dfhepner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyrr

So then I decided sliding OUT of a stop - throwing some dirt on taking off would be even more fun. What was I thinking? This bike is too tall for me to let it spin out! And although certainly not as heavy as the RR, I found that I could not control the weight of it on the spin out, so it laid down while I stood standing trying to keep it upright. It wasn’t technically a “drop”, I just could not hold the bike up any longer in a leaning spin, and with one leg planted, I had to lay the bike down.

Trying to get it off the ground, was impossible for me. I tried every method taught and nothing was working for me. In fact, I pulled something in my back. Thankfully, I don’t have lower back problems, so I knew some anti-inflammatory and care the next day would have me feeling right again soon. But I did try for several minutes to get the bike up. No good. I was within minutes of pushing the ‘help’ or the 911 button on SPOT, but kept thinking I would see a car sooner or later as I had seen at least a dozen on my way up the mountain already. So I waited.

I read this post two years ago and when I saw this part I started to wonder how some one traveling alone would manage if they dropped a bike and how to get it back up. I ride a R1200GS and have been able to pick it up unloaded once, but that was a lot of work. I was thinking of a lever that could be stored in sections but then last week I came across this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400891

I hope to see more reports from you, as I really enjoyed the pictures and writing. I also liked the way that you documented the route using Google maps.
dfhepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #1187
gypsyrr OP
in flux

Oddometer: 592
Thanks for the link to SoCalRob's report. A jack for a motorcycle: great idea.

I started carrying some straps when on solo dirt rides after that incident. But, I've since sold the DR650 and bought a Yam XT250 which is quite a bit lighter. But it will still lay flat like the DR did, if it falls. Just getting the bike started upward is the biggest challenge. I've dropped my R1150R in the parking lot a couple of times and amazingly, was able to pick it up myself. I think because it was resting on the cylinder head, it gave me some leverage to get the bike up. But it is quite a bit heavier than the DR or the XT. And quite a bit more expensive - - that's probably what gave me the extra adrenaline needed to get the bike off the ground.

Thanks for reading my report too. I am still riding, but nothing like this Rockies trip, so I haven't posted. But, I'm aiming toward taking off for 5-6 weeks for some adventure this summer. I'll just have to see if it is worth posting!.

Thanks again for the tip about the jack.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #1188
dfhepner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
With your pictures and style any thing is worth posting. So please another ride report.
dfhepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #1189
mike78613
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures of your trip. Glad everything went well. Thanks for sharing.
-Mike
mike78613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #1190
DaMonk45
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 90
Yes I read it all.
Every page
Every word
Took more time than I care to admit.

Loved the photos and the way it was all lay out to follow along.

I hope for more.

Thank you for all of your work on this.

Dave
Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #1191
gypsyrr OP
in flux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMonk45 View Post
Yes I read it all.
Every page
Every word
I hope for more.

Dave
Thank you, Dave. I hope for more, as well. I'm working toward that end.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #1192
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,277
Nice to see you again here. Not that you have never left.:)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #1193
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Story

Great story hope it continues for you this coming year. The ride never stops, along with the fun and enjoyment.

Will keep an eye open during my rides for a bike laying in the road and pretty girl sitting on the guard rail waiting for someone to come along..
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #1194
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Thumb Just found your reports! Great stuff!

Your thread caught my eye. Great writing and photos! While waiting for more posts here I've drifted over to your other RRs. Really digging your ability and willingness to go beyond the bare bones of the ride and share a little about what riding means in the context of your life. Some deep insights there I think, giving me much to reflect on myself. Thanks for that, and thanks for taking us along with you!

Blader54 screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 04:46 PM Reason: brain phart
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #1195
QueenLee
Banned

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Your thread caught my eye. Great writing and photos! While waiting for more posts here I've drifted over to your other RRs. Really digging your ability and willingness to go beyond the bare bones of the ride and share a little about what riding means in the context of your life. Some deep insights there I think, giving me much to reflect on myself. Thanks for that, and thanks for taking us along with you!
Took the words out of my mouth Blader54!!!
Thank u for sharing

Sent from YoMama
QueenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #1196
Victoria rides
n00b

Oddometer: 2

This trip/ thread started in....2008? Really ? I love "Hurrycane's" comments back in 2009.....is he still on the road ?
Victoria rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #1197
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I'm only up to page 10 so far

But I'm getting as big a kick out of reading the "comments" and posts of readers of this thread (as I am the thread itself). Ha Ha. I wonder if you guys would be so complimentary of her prose and her pictures if she looked more like " Momma Hoon" over on the BMW forums? Yeah---I'd be offering her a tent space on my lawn too-- she's gorgeous. All of that said----I will admit that her style and spirit make for an interesting read---and I am enjoying it just as much as the rest of you.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #1198
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
A couple geology links...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyrr View Post
...Had I not already loved geology, (although I don't know enough about it), this journey would have made me love it. The changes and formations can only ignite questions and wonder about geology and earth sciences...
If you're not already familiar with it, you may find Earthly Musings - Wayne Ranney's Geology Blog of interest. Wayne deals largely with the Grand Canyon and areas around Flagstaff, but has posts about trips to other areas, including Colorado, most recently.

Also, Durango Bill's Paleogeography (Historical Geology) Research pages detail some of the processes and history involved in creating places like Flaming Gorge and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

As you may have guessed, I am still back on the Flaming Gorge part of this ride report (slow reader,) but enjoying it all, especially the photography.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #1199
mjindy
oldfriend

Oddometer: 5
We know who you are!

Even the rainbow trout know who you are, they all but jump into your arms. The chipmunks know who you are; they swarm around you like baby ducks around their mom. Even Bob knows who you are by expressing it the only way he knew how by telling you "you have beautiful eyes." You have the eyes, the soul and the spirit of Jesus Christ himself. You are an Angel sent here from heaven to show to us mortals that there is a small piece of heaven on earth. During your description of the Black Canyon alone shows us mortals, in the most simplest of forms, though your beautiful words and amazing pictures that we are always taking our life here for granted and that there is so much more to life and to which we have no control. Yeah, every once in a while you make a typo but that is to throw us off, to make us believe that you are a common one among us. But you can’t fool me. You are an Angel, you are blessed and you have blessed us all with your adventure. Although I’m many years ahead of you and we will never meet, during our short time on earth I feel fortunate to have shared this time with you. I know that when we go to that eternal after life adventure where we need no motorcycles or fishing rods or cars, trucks boats or any of those material things to have an eternal forever adventure. When that time comes and you are sitting on the right side of God, I hope you will put in a good word for me. But for now the only thing I can do is say -Thank you!-for being who you are and for sharing your story with us mortal beings. You are truly blessed.
mjindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #1200
gypsyrr OP
in flux

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjindy View Post
Even the rainbow trout know who you are, they all but jump into your arms. The chipmunks know who you are; they swarm around you like baby ducks around their mom. Even Bob knows who you are by expressing it the only way he knew how by telling you "you have beautiful eyes." You have the eyes, the soul and the spirit of Jesus Christ himself. You are an Angel sent here from heaven to show to us mortals that there is a small piece of heaven on earth. During your description of the Black Canyon alone shows us mortals, in the most simplest of forms, though your beautiful words and amazing pictures that we are always taking our life here for granted and that there is so much more to life and to which we have no control. Yeah, every once in a while you make a typo but that is to throw us off, to make us believe that you are a common one among us. But you can’t fool me. You are an Angel, you are blessed and you have blessed us all with your adventure. Although I’m many years ahead of you and we will never meet, during our short time on earth I feel fortunate to have shared this time with you. I know that when we go to that eternal after life adventure where we need no motorcycles or fishing rods or cars, trucks boats or any of those material things to have an eternal forever adventure. When that time comes and you are sitting on the right side of God, I hope you will put in a good word for me. But for now the only thing I can do is say -Thank you!-for being who you are and for sharing your story with us mortal beings. You are truly blessed.

Thank you mjindy. Your words could not have come at a better time nor could they have been more powerful. I've been sidelined and benched the last six months by a health issue that is finally resolving. Today I read your comments and was encouraged beyond my own dreams of what I could recover of the freedom I once knew. I want to ride again. I want to write again. Thank YOU for reminding me again of the beauty of a life lived without hesitation.

“The whole world is charged with the glory of God and I feel fire and music under my feet”. Thomas Merton