User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,611
With all that gear your WR will be straining to make Calif. pass, one of our group (WR) almost didn't make it up. To tall of gearing. Both WR's were geared the same, Ken (Blaisew) made it with very little power to spare. Kevin we almost thought we were going to have to turn around as he just barely made it up.

I know Ken wanted to try different gearing and suspect he has some good advice on that.

On the DRZ 15-44 was perfect, but as fate and a wore out sprocket would have it I was running a 13-44 for the Colorado passes, and did them in second gear with no problem. Power was down just a little bit, but i was also running a little lean at 500 feet.

Make sure your WR fuel pump doesn't overheat!!

Check spring rates for front and rear!!! All three of us had revalved suspension and were all happy w/ that. My bike was set up for a 200 lbs rider so with gear I was spot on. I'm only 160lbs.

Tire- Dunlop 606's are my tire of choice, it's DOT and you'll get good miles from it, two sets will do the complete TAT. Hooks up decent on sand. Front more planted than the TKC80's
The T-63 is a little grippier but I don't know about miles on it.
TKC80's- not as grippy as the 606 and more money.

Get the heaviest tubes you can buy, carry standard tubes as spares.

OIl filter for oil changes, I used one of the stainless cleanable ones, just use brake cleaner to clean. Changed oil every 1,500 miles.

Steel chain rings are a must!!!!

Lube chain once per day and take that time to look for loose faseners. Carry a few extra nuts and bolts. I did use any for my bike, but the WR's used a few of my bolts.

Find one other person to ride with ....better yet find two!!!! Three people on the TAT is ideal froma safety stand point. In case someone gets hurt, one person to stay behind with injured person and one to get help.

Yeah don't forget to have numbers of parts distributors. I used a couple of different ones, depending on where I was on the TAT.Do a ride report and people will offer help if needed.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 02:38 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote