Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #121
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I've noticed that at least the roof is different on the 13 car, any other changes you know about?

Nope, I've not even seen the 13 car yet. You got pics?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #122
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
hmmm.....Maybe the super scoop creates a super venturi effect for the super tire inflation deflation system
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #123
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Getting good air flow through a rear engine race car with a windshield is very difficult to do. I've heard that do to lack of experience with the guys building Nasser's cars, that it could be one of the things that bites them in the butt.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #124
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Radiator is in front, cooling is a non-issue IMHO. The over rev Nasser was over heating because he kept throwing the belt due to over revs and the belt turns the water pump.

Forgot about that. His front mounted rads are what got him in the dooms in Africa.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #125
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,129
Quote:
I get the relevance part, but credibility?
Yeah, credibility: RG is trying to establish a viable racing effort under a marque that wasn't.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #126
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
The MINI is actually a rebodied BMW X6 turbo diesel.
...and Mini is a marque that actually EXISTS, so I don't see the point really.

I realize some of the pragmatic aspects of this outwardly puzzling choice, but TO ME, said choice reinforces somewhat the "out-of-touch-redneck" impression European motor sports teams have historically tended to have about our own (re: Enzo & Henry). This seemed reinforced at Dakar 2012 by what I saw as an attitude of condescension & ridicule toward RG by Stephane Peterhansel, among others.

Unavoidable given the sponsorship situation perhaps, but that's how it sits with me.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #127
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,085
Love

Quite frankly, I simple love RG ,He just don't give a damn what anyone thinks

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #128
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Great thread guys, and as you can see from my screen name I'm one of those so-called red necks from NC. Git R Dun!

I think RG is a marketing genius...the Hummer has ties to all that is American. We still utilize the Hummer or a variant of it to carry our soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen on the battle field. No other current vehicle (at the selction time) could be more patriotic, have stronger ties to the adrenaline junkie that is our modern day warrior, or that "made in America" label.

What the heck has the Mini done for the French military...Oh nothin since the French military has done absolutely nothing either.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE

Tarheel Wheeler screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 06:46 AM
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #129
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
...and Mini is a marque that actually EXISTS, so I don't see the point really.

I realize some of the pragmatic aspects of this outwardly puzzling choice, but TO ME, said choice reinforces somewhat the "out-of-touch-redneck" impression European motor sports teams have historically tended to have about our own (re: Enzo & Henry). This seemed reinforced at Dakar 2012 by what I saw as an attitude of condescension & ridicule toward RG by Stephane Peterhansel, among others.

Unavoidable given the sponsorship situation perhaps, but that's how it sits with me.
You do realize you are talking about the French? Who, for better or worse they are famous amongst us colonials for their condescension. I doubt rebranding his truck would change that, especially given his give-zero-fucks attitude.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #130
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
You do realize you are talking about the French? Who, for better or worse they are famous amongst us colonials for their condescension. I doubt rebranding his truck would change that, especially given his give-zero-fucks attitude.

Let's just forget that they helped up greatly during our own revolution way back when and gave us that cool statue. Yeah, those cheese eating surrender monkeys don't do anything good in the world.

Should be a good race this year. Hopefully Robbie has learned enough to finish all the legs this year without tweaking the organizers too much. Who are the other big competitors? Do the Spanish have a big push going this year?
UngaWunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #131
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,841
Nice stuff here. Happy I found this thread.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #132
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Should be a good race this year. Hopefully Robbie has learned enough to finish all the legs this year without tweaking the organizers too much. Who are the other big competitors? Do the Spanish have a big push going this year?
The only way he will not "Tweak" the organizers is if decides to run second to the chosen teams. Don't really see that happening, so guess the "Tweaking" will start on Stage 1. Git R Dun RG!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #133
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Why didn't Gordon just install a rev limiter on Nasser's truck after the first belt failure? Stick some extra plush carpet under the gas pedal or something
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #134
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,257
Go RG!!!

Quote:
You must be lost, this is a final Dakar effort for this team, it'd be retarded to brand them as something for one race. He tried...past tense...to establish a racing effort under a marque that existed when he started, then moved to running the car as a remote control car for big boys...it was a Traxxas, not a Hummer. The guy doesn't own oil fields, he's a racer and has a race car.
RG had a dream to WIN the Dakar under an American car sponsorship, Hummer, and has continued to carry on as a personal quest. If he were to win the Dakar with his home built rear wheeler, he will devastate the entire Dakar Rally Sponsorship Program concept... Proving that major auto manufacturers don't know what they are doing by failing to dominate the world's most complex auto race. It's no wonder the ASO will do what ever it needs to, as witnessed last year, to keep it's top manufacturers and their employee drivers in the winner's circle, at all unethical costs.

RG is merely imposing a will cultivated by 100's of years of oppression by European aristocrates. It's an American spirit to those of us American. But it's also a David vs. Goliath story for anyone told they couldn't achieve greatness against corporate bureacracy.

His winning would be the equivelent of the 1981 US Hockey team defeating the Russians for the Gold.

And as evidence why RG chose to mimic the H3... It's a DAMN FUN VEHICLE, Y'ALL...

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 08:41 AM
DesertSurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #135
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
RG had a dream to run the Dakar under an American car sponsorship and has continued to carry on long after his sponsorship. If he were to win the Dakar with his home built front wheeler, he will devastate the entire Dakar Rally Sponsorship Program... Proving that major auto manufacturers don't know what they are doing by failing to dominate the world's most complex auto race. It's no wonder the ASO will do what ever it needs to, as witnessed last year, to keep it's top manufacturers and their employee drivers in the winner's circle.

RG is merely imposing a will cultivated by 100's of years of oppression by European aristocrates. It's an American spirit to those of us American. But it's also a David vs. Goliath story for anyone told they couldn't achieve greatness against corporate bureacracy.

And as evidence why RG chose to mimic the H3... It's a DAMN FUN VEHICLE, Y'ALL...
I believe it is a rear wheel drive 2WD .
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote